Adapter solutions for DIN 41529 please!!!

Here's the thing: Somebody gave me some seriously old TELEFUNKEN TLX 3 Professional which use the old (before 1980) DIN 41529 standard and I have no idea where I can plug them in to use them.

Is there any way how I can dongle around and plug them to a sound mixer or anything like that?

(Btw, this is what the old standard looks like:)

Speaker_din_male_and_female.jpg

If they GAVE them to you, why not just CUT the connectors (or cable from inside the speaker box) and install RCA or just leave them plain wires ?

They're plain speakers , 8 ohm , up to 120w/200w ... with filters inside.... it's just two wires in the connector ...

These are PASSIVE speakers. They require an AMPLIFIER to drive.

One DIN connector works in mono; The small connection as the positive and the big connection as the negative (ground) of the DIN connector.

What I suggest, buy a speaker amplifier (there's no way around this), cut the speaker cable and hook up the positive/negative (red/white) cables to the Left output of a speaker amplifier. Then do the same to the other speaker but to the positive/negative cables to the Right output of that same speaker amplifier.

The speakers are rated at 120W (200WRMS) each so have an amplifier that's NO MORE than 240Watt (I'd go 200w for safety) so you don't blow out the speakers.

This is just like hooking up any passive speaker to a speaker amplifier.

Also, those speakers are highly valued as they've a flat frequency response, especially for their 'vintage' status.

Enjoy them.

On 8/10/2019 at 11:38 PM, theonlyratatoskr said:

What I suggest, buy a speaker amplifier (there's no way around this), cut the speaker cable and hook up the positive/negative (red/white) cables to the Left output of a speaker amplifier. Then do the same to the other speaker but to the positive/negative cables to the Right output of that same speaker amplifier.

Can you explain that a little bit more detailed or in a video? This seems interesting to do

The speakers are rated at 120W (200WRMS) each so have an amplifier that's NO MORE than 240Watt (I'd go 200w for safety) so you don't blow out the speakers.

And which one do you recommend? I'd like to hear your opinion on that

First off, read these two to know what you're getting yourself into.

https://www.whathifi.com/advice/active-vs-passive-speakers-whats-the-difference-which-is-better

https://www.astounded.com/how-to-set-up-a-simple-pa-system-active-passive/

and, I think that an amp like this should do just fine. Don't get an amp with Speakon outputs as this will do you no good, get one where you have to insert physical cables such as this one below. Depending on your budget you can change make/model.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Teac-Amplifier-Integrated-Microphone-Loudspeaker/dp/B00ORKTDFC?ref_=Oct_RAsinC_Ajax_560868_1&pf_rd_r=D1B49Q36TZS1B3CG7PZY&pf_rd_p=1154a15a-13af-58f0-978f-7dadf9c4034e&pf_rd_s=merchandised-search-6&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_i=560868&pf_rd_m=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE

As an alternative to an amplifier, you can choose to go with an audio or audio-video receiver , which combines an audio amplifier with hi-fi decoders and switching between multiple audio-video inputs and other features.

Here's an example of a reasonably priced receiver : Yamaha R-S202BL Stereo Receiver

- it's shows up as only USED on Amazon but other shops should have it NEW.

It's around 100..150$ and has a built in 2 x 100w (each supporting 2 speakers per channel), so your 120w speakers should be safe even if you turn the volume to the maximum.

In addition, you also get am/fm radio built in and  several analog stereo inputs, so you could connect your pc, a cd player, a portable mp3 player, the output of your TV to it, whatever, and you can use the remote control to switch between inputs.

You simply connect the two wires from each of your speaker in the back, so simply cutting the connectors will be enough :

image.png.9d9ecfe5dbdf20b0a07ef11e3e8d4fa3.png

image.png.6edca9b29c2218cbac36a58d17c234f0.png

On 8/14/2019 at 1:28 PM, theonlyratatoskr said:

First off, read these two to know what you're getting yourself into.

https://www.whathifi.com/advice/active-vs-passive-speakers-whats-the-difference-which-is-better

https://www.astounded.com/how-to-set-up-a-simple-pa-system-active-passive/

and, I think that an amp like this should do just fine. Don't get an amp with Speakon outputs as this will do you no good, get one where you have to insert physical cables such as this one below. Depending on your budget you can change make/model.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Teac-Amplifier-Integrated-Microphone-Loudspeaker/dp/B00ORKTDFC?ref_=Oct_RAsinC_Ajax_560868_1&pf_rd_r=D1B49Q36TZS1B3CG7PZY&pf_rd_p=1154a15a-13af-58f0-978f-7dadf9c4034e&pf_rd_s=merchandised-search-6&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_i=560868&pf_rd_m=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE

Do you think a BOSE Lifestyle SA2 will do the trick? I simply got that with the speakers

• 4 years later...

These are PASSIVE speakers. They require an AMPLIFIER to drive.

One DIN connector works in mono; The small connection as the positive and the big connection as the negative (ground) of the DIN connector.

This is just like hooking up any passive speaker to a speaker amplifier.

Also, those speakers are highly valued as they've a flat frequency response, especially for their 'vintage' status.

Enjoy them.

ok so, i know it's been almost 5 years since you wrote this thing but i can't find anything else on the internet, i have a cheap ass record player (the ones you buy on amazon for 40 euro that look like leather cases) and it has the usual RCA females in the back (white/red), i have 2 speakers i bought at a flea market and they have that DIN cable, said that i want to cut the cables, if i want to connnect both the speakers to the record player what do i have to do?

put 2 male RCA on each speaker and then  ''double'' the holes on the record player with adapters so i have 4 females for the 4 males (2 each speaker)?

or just use one male RCA for each speaker and then connect them to the 2 holes? 

i know that the circular pin is connected to the positive line while the spade is connected to the negative line but i don't know if it's ok and most importantly SAFE to just cut the cable and put just one RCA. 

sorry for the cursed english lol, here's the speakers, the record player's output and the cableImmagineWhatsApp2023-11-23ore12_52.16_3e07fa87.thumb.jpg.344644f7593343c832e6b74e863e864f.jpgImmagineWhatsApp2023-11-23ore12_53.49_4d94e73c.thumb.jpg.a34d69fe3703432e1aed83a9d55bfb0f.jpg:ImmagineWhatsApp2023-11-23ore12_52.12_9ac08c03.thumb.jpg.9f2067b096b06e3f324ce5c9795070a3.jpg

First make sure that device can actually output to those speakers, look in the back at the speaker impedance (if they're 4 ohm, 8 ohm, some other value), see what the device supports and how many watts it can output.

You could get a simple RCA male-male cable , cut it in the middle and splice the wires to the wires of the speakers, or untwist the DIN connectors and solder the wires inside the plug.

2 hours ago, SEBACAPP said:

ok so, i know it's been almost 5 years since you wrote this thing but i can't find anything else on the internet, i have a cheap ass record player (the ones you buy on amazon for 40 euro that look like leather cases) and it has the usual RCA females in the back (white/red), i have 2 speakers i bought at a flea market and they have that DIN cable, said that i want to cut the cables, if i want to connnect both the speakers to the record player what do i have to do?

put 2 male RCA on each speaker and then  ''double'' the holes on the record player with adapters so i have 4 females for the 4 males (2 each speaker)?

or just use one male RCA for each speaker and then connect them to the 2 holes? 

i know that the circular pin is connected to the positive line while the spade is connected to the negative line but i don't know if it's ok and most importantly SAFE to just cut the cable and put just one RCA. 

sorry for the cursed english lol, here's the speakers, the record player's output and the cableImmagineWhatsApp2023-11-23ore12_52.16_3e07fa87.thumb.jpg.344644f7593343c832e6b74e863e864f.jpgImmagineWhatsApp2023-11-23ore12_53.49_4d94e73c.thumb.jpg.a34d69fe3703432e1aed83a9d55bfb0f.jpg:ImmagineWhatsApp2023-11-23ore12_52.12_9ac08c03.thumb.jpg.9f2067b096b06e3f324ce5c9795070a3.jpg

Like in the original post, you need an amplifier. These are passive speakers.