What are the negatives of using Win 7 for gaming only after the support stops

Hi,

I'm one of those die hard Win7 users, I tried Win 10 & its not my cup of tea so I stuck with 7 ...

My problem now is the same as all the others that are still using Win7 .. that the support is stopping soon & It feels like were being forced to Win 10 of which I really would like to avoid. 

Ive been a light user of the different Linux distro`s over the years and am currently dabbling with "mint" (Cinnamon) and quite like it. 

Originally I was going to move completely over to Mint as steam has a lot of games working on it now, but I since found out that I would have to re-download all of the games I wish to play which would take me about 2/3 days of constant d/l`ing as I connect via a hotspot on to a 4G network :(

So now my current thinking is just to buy another ssd, install mint on it & only boot up Win7 drive to play games ( some of which will be online ).

In my head I cant see any real problems with this, as long as I dont browse the web, install any other new programs  & just use it for gaming  .. can I really get hurt?

I have this feeling that there is something I`m forgetting ... but just in case .. as long as I stuck to the above .... Is this a viable option? or am i better off just installing Win10 & using that for gaming only, with Mint on a separate drive as my n1 OS?

New games and programs will stop supporting win7 slowly, but not a huge issue yet.

Normally windows 10 is just faster, boots faster, supports newer features in cpus and gpus much better.

Windows 7 doesn't have great new hardware support, so if you upgrade the platform its gonna be a pain to keep using 7.

If windows 7 works now, id keep it, but if you reinstall id go 10 these days( or 10 ltsc if you can find a key, its win 10 without lots of the junk)

Hmmm interesting ...

Well that better answers that I thought i was gonna get , so thx peeps!

I'm not really worried about Dx12 as I'm mainly a Indie gamer & tend to stay away from AAA games as most the time it mean triple disappointment but good hint about win 10 LTSC ... If I can get hold of a copy of Windows 10 Enterprise LTSC 2019 ... do I need a key? .... the last time I used a enterprise edition was way back in Win 2000 (Not ME) n I didn't need a key for that?

On 8/12/2019 at 1:44 PM, GCandy77 said:

Hmmm interesting ...

Well that better answers that I thought i was gonna get , so thx peeps!

I'm not really worried about Dx12 as I'm mainly a Indie gamer & tend to stay away from AAA games as most the time it mean triple disappointment but good hint about win 10 LTSC ... If I can get hold of a copy of Windows 10 Enterprise LTSC 2019 ... do I need a key? .... the last time I used a enterprise edition was way back in Win 2000 (Not ME) n I didn't need a key for that?

i can give you a win 10 LTSC version build v1809 build 17763.437 its an optimised version so no cortana and shit like that.

pm me for a link. tryed that version on virtual machine = good stuff.

it may be in FR but i didnt remember if i ad others language select during the installation.

you can still give a tyr on virtual machine and see.

otherwise go for WINDOWS 10 ARIUM 10 LTSC 3.1- 1906

I may be select that windows version, installing it right now with virtual machine to see...

Edit: meh found out its a 1809 version f**k that. 

So get win 10 pro/home up to you. and have fun with backbird, win 10 shutup and DWS. 

You want to use operating system only for gaming and you're worry about which version you should use? For games only it doesn't matter (except directx) - the only you'll see is game launcher and fullscreen game, so it is not important how system works and how it looks like if you don't use it in fact.

Hi There,

It is not recommended to keep using Windows 7 after the deadline date in January. Your PC won't get ongoing security and quality fixes from Microsoft and you'll be vulnerable to errors in new games that are released.

Since build 1903 specifically, there is no reason you shouldn't be using Windows 10, if you're feeling really special about Windows 7 and want to keep the basic functionality and don't need the Microsoft Store and other 10 features, you might want to try using Windows 10 Enterprise LTSB.

The list of benefits to Windows 7 over WIndows 10 is quickly shortening and you'll probably find a fresh installation (not an upgrade) of WIndows 10 will probably make your PC faster and more stable. Also there will come a point where software developers for popular programs like Google Chrome, NVIDIA GeForce Experience and more will stop releasing updates that support older versions of Windows.

Jordan Bell

Forensic Cybersecurity Analyst (6YR Experience)

GSN Global (GSN UK)

--------------------------------

Any advice given is purely independent of GSN Global and its affiliates, we can't be held accountable for actions you may take on your software/hardware under our advisement. Please visit GSN UK online for more information about SLA-based services we provide.

Hmm .. deffo some inte3resting points here peeps .. I'm still in 2 minds whether just to jump ship to mint ... but thx for your input ... food for thought :)

I think win7 will be the same dangerous as winXP. Everyone says that using xp after support ends will be very dangerous. Years after some people still using xp on some old computers and I never heard of any group of hackers that target xp. I want to see even one post like "omg, I stayed with xp and now everyone attack my computer". End of support means no new features but also means years of patching all possible bugs (and no new features means - no new potential bugs). I bet that after end of win7 support nothing happens. If you want to use it - just use it. Good firewall like Comodo should protect you against attacks. And viruses? Lot of people have them on win10. And this os (win10) will be virus creators main target, not old win7.

2 hours ago, GCandy77 said:

Hmm .. deffo some inte3resting points here peeps .. I'm still in 2 minds whether just to jump ship to mint ... but thx for your input ... food for thought :)

As of late Windows  10 pissed me off. Im jumping ship to Linux. Found that 52 games in my Steam library support Linux. Check you games, you might be able to play a few in Linux and not have to use Windows that much. Its not wise to use an unsupported OS if the PC is going to be connected to the internet. There could be major security holes that are not known about and have not been patched. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

5 hours ago, homeap5 said:

I think win7 will be the same dangerous as winXP. Everyone says that using xp after support ends will be very dangerous. Years after some people still using xp on some old computers and I never heard of any group of hackers that target xp. I want to see even one post like "omg, I stayed with xp and now everyone attack my computer".

This is kind of true ... I work for quite a big retailer in the uk & I can confirm with out a doubt that they are still running windows XP on ""all"" of their computers, even the ones customers can use xD  ... I assume that if they had been attacked ... a OS upgrade would have been performed already + it must be the same all across the uk as we have company specific software running on it.

I think I`m swaying towards min or manjaro & just having to go thru the pain of re-downloading all the games I want ... Ive used Mint on & off since 17.1 ( Rebecca  i think ) for basic stuff like browsing & file sharing, so I know my way around the basic system + vids like this really really help out - So Big up to you Anthony!!!!! I`d love to see you do more vids :)

When I really sit there and think of what I used my PC for its 55% gaming 40% The web (netfilx  /utube) & 5% using progs like Ableton Live, pissing about with emulators & listening to music ... for me the last 5% is gonna be the hassle on Linux ... But Ive always got WINE to fall back on if i cant find linux versions of these progs I like.

Again thx to all that replied ... helped my thinking :)