Will Windows every get a ecosystem like Apple?

Luddy †

I used to be all Apple, now I've swapped most of it and am only left with an iphone, but I do really miss the ecosystem. Mainly the fluent synchronization, being able to text and call from my PC/laptop and etc. Will Windows ever get something similar? Cause I think many chooses Apple plainly and mainly cause of it.

(I did watch Linus' video about 10 ways apple is better).

2 minutes ago, lewdicrous said:

You can connect your phone to your computer, but I don't know if it's the same as in macOS

it's a little bit of difference. um regarding about windows i think they havent fully go all-out in ecosystem project. but the other compan such as samsung already had that like a smartwatch, samsung PAY, and other thing

Spec: Macbook Air 2017    

ProcessorPU: ii5 (I5-5350U |    

| RAM: 8GB LPDDR3 |

| Storage: 128GB SSD 

| GPU: Intel HD 6000 |

| Audio: JBL 450BT Wireless Headset |

22 minutes ago, Luddy † said:

I used to be all Apple, now I've swapped most of it and am only left with an iphone, but I do really miss the ecosystem. Mainly the fluent synchronization, being able to text and call from my PC/laptop and etc. Will Windows ever get something similar? Cause I think many chooses Apple plainly and mainly cause of it.

Microsoft doesn't have control over Android, so, for the time being, no. For the moment, you can install the My Phone - app on an Android-phone and can read and send SMS-messages from your PC, sync contacts and pictures and such, but I'm not aware of any support for making phonecalls just yet.

Microsoft technically could roll out their own Android-phones with a tightly-integrated support for their own services, but I have no idea if they will do that or not.

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

samsung and windows did anounse a big colab now with the Note 10 and 10+, cant wait to get mine;)

They're trying to. For maximum experience, install Microsoft launcher on your Android device. It's still not that great.

There's also Pushbullet, which is pretty nice, and I use it all the time.

I once gave Luke and Linus pizza.

Proud member of the ITX club.

**SCRAPYARD WARS!!!!**

#BringBackLuke

Ironically.  Microsoft saw this coming about 20 years ago.  But the US government really put a stranglehold on their ability to leverage their own software for this until it was too late. 

Do not expect that system itself do everything. Sometimes you should use 3rd party software. Like MyPhoneExplorer for example (preferably older version).

11 minutes ago, dkerber77 said:

Ironically.  Microsoft saw this coming about 20 years ago.  But the US government really put a stranglehold on their ability to leverage their own software for this until it was too late. 

Not to mention the EU.

While I understand their reasons, it doesn't seem fair that Apple got a free pass to do all the things Microsoft got into trouble for trying to do.  If they are going to set rules for what you can and cannot build-in at the OS level, it should apply across all OS vendors, not just the biggest at the time.

Router:  Intel N100 (pfSense) WiFi6: Zyxel NWA210AX (1.7Gbit peak at 160Mhz)
WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)
Upgrading Laptop/Desktop CNVIo WiFi 5 cards to PCIe WiFi6e/7

1 hour ago, Alex Atkin UK said:

Not to mention the EU.

While I understand their reasons, it doesn't seem fair that Apple got a free pass to do all the things Microsoft got into trouble for trying to do.  If they are going to set rules for what you can and cannot build-in at the OS level, it should apply across all OS vendors, not just the biggest at the time.

You can't include your own web browser, that's levering your market share!

Oh, how do we download a web browser again?

3 hours ago, Luddy † said:

No. Microsoft has tried and failed mutiple times to get its Mobile OS to compete in the market. The only reason their tabelts are remotly successful is because most of them run full versions of Windows and so you have a desktop grade OS running on a tablet formfactor. But Apple and Google pretty much own the phone market at this point. It will be hard for a 3rd contender to take root. Because if Microsoft were to have that level of intergration it most likely would have to come from a mobile OS they control. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

Microsoft had a chance but a number of things killed it. At this stage they would have to fight not just Apple but Google/Android/Chrome.  Most users would be fine with Android phone, tablet and a Chrome book.  I would say the only hopes of recovery would be Apple finally shooting themselves in the foot pushing there BS to far and things simultaneously blowing up over at Google with security and data harvesting. 

I don't see this as a real possibility. As others have said, Microsoft tried and failed in the mobile market. The most I see them doing at this point would be bettering Android integration year over year and maybe furthering the Samsung partnership. Apple and Google are so deep rooted in the mobile industry at this point that I think even Huawei is going to struggle if/when they launch their own OS.

That being said, I don't really want them to get an ecosystem either. I understand the "it just works" philosophy of Apple's ecosystem, but I think Google is doing it in a more user friendly way. It's a lot easier for me to access my Google Photos, Docs, and even movies and music on my iPad than it is for me to access my Apple content on my Pixel 3 XL. Movies Anywhere has been great for syncing movies between devices, but it's high time Apple open up their TV app so that movies that don't sync with Movies Anywhere and TV shows can actually be accessed.

Ecosystems are GREAT until you decide to move on to something else. That's what really needs to be fixed moving forward in the future.

4 hours ago, Homelessscootalo said:

Microsoft should have tried harder with a Windows Phone.

You can't say they weren't trying hard. They had many good things going for it. Sure it still had a ton of issues and bugs when it Microsoft pulled the plug, but so does iOS and Android today. 

Much like BlackBerry, it seemed that the designers were more focused on productivity than entertainment. A phone is supposed to be a communicator first after all. And for better or for worse, they stuck with that goal when they introduced cool features like Windows Continuum. But the lack of support from third party apps and the brand recognition Apple and Google had built up by 2010 meant that anyone who wanted to challenge had no chance. And it shows. Even with the introduction of native Android runtime in BlackBerry OS 10, Blackberry never recovered and eventually conceded to only making their ideas come to life on Android and iOS

Intel® Core™ i7-12700 | GIGABYTE B660 AORUS MASTER DDR4 | Gigabyte Radeon™ RX 6650 XT Gaming OC | 32GB Corsair Vengeance® RGB Pro SL DDR4 | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB | WD Green 1.5TB | Windows 11 Pro | NZXT H510 Flow White
Sony MDR-V250 | GNT-500 | Logitech G610 Orion Brown | Logitech G402 | Samsung C27JG5 | ASUS ProArt PA238QR
iPhone 12 Mini (iOS 17.2.1) | iPhone XR (iOS 17.2.1) | iPad Mini (iOS 9.3.5) | KZ AZ09 Pro x KZ ZSN Pro X | Sennheiser HD450bt
Intel® Core™ i7-1265U | Kioxia KBG50ZNV512G | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Enterprise | HP EliteBook 650 G9
Intel® Core™ i5-8520U | WD Blue M.2 250GB | 1TB Seagate FireCuda | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Home | ASUS Vivobook 15 
Intel® Core™ i7-3520M | GT 630M | 16 GB Corsair Vengeance® DDR3 |
Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | macOS Catalina | Lenovo IdeaPad P580