Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Genwyn

Reducing Vista windows files

Posted · Original PosterOP

I have Windows vista 32 bit ultimate, no service packs but updated until SP1 installed on a Z61t. It has a 120gb SSD. The issue ive discovered is that over time that install grew from 15gb to nearly 55gb when the downloaded updates totaled about 10gb unpacked. Theres almost nothing else on the machine over maybe 5gb of stuff.

So somehow about 20gb of space has vanished in the form of temp files and other crap windows puts all over the place. Old documentation on it shows that this was a pretty common problem but it was because of a bunch of different things.

Ive tried the standard options of ccleaner and a few utilities that get rid of windows temp files, downloaded non-installed updates, etc

A lot of drive viewing utilities dont work or dont have old versions, the one i got to work didnt show anything out of the ordinary except for the windows directory eating about 51gb and didnt elaborate further.

Any suggestions or does anyone know where all that space is going?

If this was windows 10 i could understand the bloat but a vista install should top at around 20gb if all is well.

thou shalt not yeeteth

Press Winkey & R > Type cleanmgr > Hit Enter > Click Clean System Files > Tick everything > Click OK > Wait > Done

It'll probably take a good 30 minutes, maybe more to finish so just be patient.

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Samsung 970 Evo 500GB NVMe | Asus Rog Strix Vega 64 8GB OC Edition | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Windows 10 Pro X64 |

Server:-

Raspberry Pi 4 Model B running OMV Arrakis and an 8TB Seagate USB 3.0 external HDD

5 hours ago, Master Disaster said:

Press Winkey & R > Type cleanmgr > Hit Enter > Click Clean System Files > Tick everything > Click OK > Wait > Done

It'll probably take a good 30 minutes, maybe more to finish so just be patient.

Not on Vista. It should be more like minute or two at most. And minute at first restart. It takes long time since win8 because Microsoft start compressing files during cleanup (very long and very annoying).

I haven't used Vista in a while, but. Do you have hibernation enabled? Or can you use something like WinDirSat to see what files are taking the space.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv