DayZ will be banned from Australia after it was refused a rating

overlord360

Original Source:

https://www.kotaku.com.au/2019/08/dayz-pc-ps4-xbox-one-banned-completely-australia/

2019-08-08_082256.jpg

Earlier this week, news broke that the Classification Board had blocked the physical sale of survival sandbox DayZ, despite the game having been rated MA15+ multiple times through the IARC online process.

IARC is the acronym for the International Age Rating Coalition (IARC), See the bottom of the post for a link to further information on Australia's rating / classification system.

The Classification Board first granted an RC rating to DayZ on June 4, following an application from local distributors Five Star Games to have the game sold in brick-and-mortar stores across the country. According to the report, which was supplied to Kotaku Australia on Friday afternoon, the game was banned over "illicit or proscribed drug use related to incentives or rewards".

It seems bizarre that the board is ok with extreme violence in movies and video games, but if there is some weed as a reward for completing an objective results in a instant ban.

The Classification Board's decision will mean the game, at some point, will be removed from sale on Steam, the PlayStation and Xbox One stores. It's still currently available online for Aussies, but it's only a matter of time before that's no longer the case (unless you're using a VPN).

While personally I don't play DayZ, I am fearful as to what precedent this will set for future games, such as Cyberpunk 2077 which showed inhalers being used as drugs in the hour long gameplay video last year.

From what I've personally experienced, drug use (as a reward or incentive) or rape results in a instant ban. As an example Hotline Miami 2 was banned due to the rape scene (and still is banned). This wikipedia link has a list of games currently banned in Australia (and games that we're once banned that have been overturned since). The link also has a nice summary of what type of content may cause a 'refused classification' to be given.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_banned_video_games_in_Australia

Here's a handy dandy link to the Australian Classification Board's explanation of their ratings:

http://www.classification.gov.au/Guidelines/Pages/Guidelines.aspx

What is this ?
2014 ?
(or is it 2004)

~New~  BoomBerryPi project !  ~New~

new build log : http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/533392-build-log-the-scrap-simulator-x/?p=7078757 (5 screen flight sim for 620$ CAD)LTT Web Challenge is back ! go here  :  http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/448184-ltt-web-challenge-3-v21/#entry601004

Just ban Australia. lmao

If this only bans retail sales, this should not adversely affect the sales of the game since everyone buys online these days. 

Laptop: 2019 16" MacBook Pro i7, 512GB, 5300M 4GB, 16GB DDR4 | Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB | Wearables: Apple Watch SE | Car: 2007 Ford Taurus SE | CPU: R7 5700X | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 32GB 3200 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 11 | Storage: 1TB Crucial P3 NVME SSD, 1TB PNY CS900, & 4TB WD Blue HDD | PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W | Display: LG 27GL83A-B 1440p @ 144Hz, Dell S2719DGF 1440p @144Hz | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G305 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball | Server: 2018 Core i3 Mac mini, 128GB SSD, Intel UHD 630, 16GB DDR4 | Storage: OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad (6TB WD Blue HDD, 12TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB Crucial SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD)

Just now, DrMacintosh said:

Just ban Australia. lmao

If this only bans retail sales, this should not adversely affect the sales of the game since everyone buys online these days. 

The ban was caused by Bohemia Interactive wanting to sell physical copies, but now that it has been give the 'Refused Classification' classification it cannot be sold in australia by any means, including online.

5 minutes ago, overlord360 said:

The ban was caused by Bohemia Interactive wanting to sell physical copies, but now that it has been give the 'Refused Classification' classification it cannot be sold in australia by any means, including online.

That's too bad for Australians. 

Laptop: 2019 16" MacBook Pro i7, 512GB, 5300M 4GB, 16GB DDR4 | Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB | Wearables: Apple Watch SE | Car: 2007 Ford Taurus SE | CPU: R7 5700X | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 32GB 3200 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 11 | Storage: 1TB Crucial P3 NVME SSD, 1TB PNY CS900, & 4TB WD Blue HDD | PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W | Display: LG 27GL83A-B 1440p @ 144Hz, Dell S2719DGF 1440p @144Hz | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G305 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball | Server: 2018 Core i3 Mac mini, 128GB SSD, Intel UHD 630, 16GB DDR4 | Storage: OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad (6TB WD Blue HDD, 12TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB Crucial SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD)

Yay for pointless measures that only helps increasing piracy.

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

I still stand by my statement that the only good thing Australia has made in the last 10 years was the Ford Falcon, the Holden Commodore and the Chevrolet SS.

Check out my guide on how to scan cover art here!

Local asshole and 6th generation console enthusiast.

And they don't seem to understand that you can't actually ban a game, not in this day and age.

44 minutes ago, Dan Castellaneta said:

I still stand by my statement that the only good thing Australia has made in the last 10 years was the Ford Falcon, the Holden Commodore and the Chevrolet SS.

You're forgetting the ford straight 6 and V8 Barra.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

2 minutes ago, Dabombinable said:

And they don't seem to understand that you can't actually ban a game, not in this day and age.

they can ban sales, so there is no legal way to purchase the game. For example it is impossible to buy Hotline Miami 2 in Australia (the Developers told to just pirate it)

Just now, overlord360 said:

they can ban sales, so there is no legal way to purchase the game. For example it is impossible to buy Hotline Miami 2 in Australia (the Developers told to just pirate it)

Just look at how people were paying for a US Netflix subscription in Australia...

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

I'd like to point out that DayZ is being banned for something that was referenced in game files 2 years ago and it isn't even added to the game yet (and probably never will be):

2 hours ago, DrMacintosh said:

Just ban Australia. lmao

excuse me, what the fuck did you just say.

thats it i'm fucken releasing the dropbears and the steroid infused kangaroos to destroy you while fucken rocking out to this:

*Insert Witty Signature here*

System Config: https://au.pcpartpicker.com/list/Tncs9N

2 hours ago, overlord360 said:

While personally I don't play DayZ, I am fearful as to what precedent this will set for future games, such as Cyberpunk 2077 which showed inhalers being used as drugs in the hour long gameplay video last year.

This case is not a new precedent. Many other games were marked with RC in Australia, like L4D2 a decade ago was stuck in the same limbo for long time.

1 minute ago, DuckDodgers said:

This case is not a new precedent. Many other games were marked with RC in Australia, like L4D2 a decade ago was stuck in the same limbo for long time.

That was before the R18+ rating was rolled out for video games. With the 'new' rating added in 2013 violence / gore tends to not get a game banned. Now it's only drugs and sexual violence (in most cases) that will cause a game to receive the "Refused Classification" rating and subsequently be banned.

2 hours ago, leadeater said:

And losing Rugby games to NZ, that's another good thing ?. Oh and America's Cup boat design ? ? ?

We play today, if they allow under arm shots a goal I dare say we have it in the bag. 

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

45 minutes ago, Pintend said:

I'd like to point out that DayZ is being banned for something that was referenced in game files 2 years ago and it isn't even added to the game yet (and probably never will be):

Interesting, because the board can only review content submitted to them, which means the game developer (who every is applying for classification) must have submitted the drug use as part of the content. 

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

4 hours ago, givingtnt said:

What is this ?
2014 ?
(or is it 2004)

Fucking 1600's... Witch hunts and all that shit. Games are literal witchcraft!

Guess you could play arma 3 then. 

Specs: Motherboard: Asus X470-PLUS TUF gaming (Yes I know it's poor but I wasn't informed) RAM: Corsair VENGEANCE® LPX DDR4 3200Mhz CL16-18-18-36 2x8GB

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900X          Case: Antec P8     PSU: Corsair RM850x                        Cooler: Antec K240 with two Noctura Industrial PPC 3000 PWM

Drives: Samsung 970 EVO plus 250GB, Micron 1100 2TB, Seagate ST4000DM000/1F2168 GPU: EVGA RTX 2080 ti Black edition

7 hours ago, Dan Castellaneta said:

And Mighty Car Mods + The Skid Factory 

The Workhorse (AMD-powered custom desktop)

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X | GPU: MSI X Trio GeForce RTX 2070S | RAM: XPG Spectrix D60G 32GB DDR4-3200 | Storage: 512GB XPG SX8200P + 2TB 7200RPM Seagate Barracuda Compute | OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro

The Portable Workstation (Apple MacBook Pro 16" 2021)

SoC: Apple M1 Max (8+2 core CPU w/ 32-core GPU) | RAM: 32GB unified LPDDR5 | Storage: 1TB PCIe Gen4 SSD | OS: macOS Monterey

The Communicator (Apple iPhone 13 Pro)

SoC: Apple A15 Bionic | RAM: 6GB LPDDR4X | Storage: 128GB internal w/ NVMe controller | Display: 6.1" 2532x1170 "Super Retina XDR" OLED with VRR at up to 120Hz | OS: iOS 15.1

24 minutes ago, D13H4RD said:

And Mighty Car Mods + The Skid Factory 

Linus just said he'd love to do a MCM and LTT crossover... like, the BEST Anime crossover of all time. I'm hoping for dance offs!

Just now, LAwLz said:

This is typical Australia.

They are very prude and a massive nanny state. 

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_banned_video_games_in_Australia

I'd agree with the state being so but the majority of Aussies very much are not prudes, some of the most dirty and vulgar comedians on the planet. The difference between the people and the regulators is rather striking.