Huawei announced their new Operating System: HarmonyOS (HongmengOS)

Furiku
On 8/10/2019 at 5:23 AM, yolosnail said:

Let's be real here, the ONLY reason the American government don't like Huawei is because they can't control the spying,

I'll add onto that.

I'd say (even during ancient kingdoms) every government spies on its own people, its allies, and above all, its competitors/enemies. If we strip away the morality and ethics used in such arguments, the point of spying is to gain visibility over the operating context. Most folks think spying is a personal endgame out to get them or they get disillusioned by the morality and ethics; that's just a distraction from the objective reality.

Visibility is everything in governance. It's critical for strategy. It's critical for everything from diplomacy to economics. Objectively, spying is about obtaining and compiling the objective reality of what exactly is happening into a regular feedback loop that updates the system, so that it remains functional. Spying breaks down the state of governance when persons-in-charge use this for exclusive personal self-interest; look at North Korea, Russia, and some states in Africa. However, when spying is used and maintained cleanly (i.e. for the reasons I've outlined above), it greatly uplifts entire populations; this has been true for China, Singapore, and USA in the past 36 years.

I've to say it again: When done well, spying grants visibility that builds a strong understanding of objective reality and operating context. This is highly critical for good governance, rather than being drowned in moral and ethical circlejerk. Governments need strong intelligence/spy networks to succeed.

What troubles me is whether the persons-in-charge will end up being fooled by their own success and believes everyone in the entire spy network are all selflessly serving their people. This is just untrue. In general, China's Xi Jinping and top leaders have been cleaning up the CCP, the military, and civil service, so I do believe that having their own efficient operating systems (HongMengOS + others) is a good thing for them.

USA dislikes it because this is another obstacle layer for their spy network to overcome, but history has shown that the entire system will simply adjust and compensate for it. After seeing how Facebook, Amazon, Apple, Google have improved on "telemetry" over the past 3 years, I think my biggest worry is whether all that data is being used for uplifting the populace OR merely to feed into the profit bottomline.

If someone's gonna challenge the dominance of Android and iOS, China is sure as hell best equipped to do that. I wouldn't doubt they have long-term plans to license this OS to other Chinese smartphone manufacturers, like Xiaomi, Honor, etc. since Chinese companies are so interlinked with one another.

ʕ•ᴥ•ʔ

MacBook Pro 13" (2018) | ThinkPad x230 | iPad Air 2     

~(˘▾˘~)   (~˘▾˘)~

On 8/9/2019 at 11:19 AM, Kisai said:

Nobody is going to adopt this OS any more than anyone will adopt Tizen (Samsung) or WebOS (LG), so keep dreaming Huawei. All the third party Android vendors want to drop Android so they can get people to buy from their own store, and existing alternatives (eg Tizen) have lots of security issues that the company doesn't care about until it's embarrassed in public about it. They all know Android is bad for their long term business, but have no Android exit plan unless Google forces it on them.

On 8/9/2019 at 11:07 PM, Kisai said:

It's more likely that only if Chinese mobile operators will be forced to only use phones running Harmony OS, backdoors and all. There's precedent for this. Red Flag Linux (now defunct), and Kylin doesn't displace MS Windows, just like any version of Linux hasn't displaced Windows anywhere else in the world unless the government forces it to, like Munich Germany.

Huawei is currently sanctioned by the US and google is a US company so that probably means Huawei can't get android for their next smartphone even if they want to so they have to develop their own OS. and other chinese smartphone companies like xiaomi would at least keep the option of using harmony open in case they get hit with similar sanction