SSD TIER LIST

VEXICUS
On 6/12/2020 at 6:13 AM, andrija777 said:

why is there asterisk next to Burst, it DOES have a DRAM cache, not much, but it got some as least for 240GB+, maybe 120GB don't have it?

It uses the Phison S11 (source) which is DRAM-less. If you check the datasheet it lists, "DRAM Cache: 32MB SDR" - this just means it has 32MB of SDRAM embedded with the controller. That is still DRAM-less.

Is the TC SUNBOW - X3 actually good ? It seems too cheap for the specs: TLC, with DRAM.

4 hours ago, loolou78 said:

Is the TC SUNBOW - X3 actually good ? It seems too cheap for the specs: TLC, with DRAM.

Yeah it is a decent drive.

Apparantly the US varient of the drive is dramless, so that's a thing you might want to know.

SSD TIER LIST

CPU - Ryzen 7 3700X

Mobo - ASRock X470 Taichi

Memory - G.Skill Trident Z RGB (8x2 3200MHz) 

Storage - Sabrent Rocket 1TB - Seagate Barracuda 2TBWD Black 1TB

GPU - MSI GeForce GTX 980Ti LIGHTNING

CaseFractal Design Meshify C

PSUSuper Flower Leadex II Gold 650W

Does anyone know if these HP S700 SSD's are good?  I heard they have a high failure rate.  I bought 2 of the HP S700 250 GB SSD's on sale at Staples and it seems to have a bad review on Staples.com, Newegg and Amazon

This review is the 2017 models and I'm not even sure if they're using the same SMI SM2258XT and TLC 

https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/hp-s700-ssd-dramless,5118.html

"Whatever happens, happens." - Spike Spiegel

7 hours ago, CalintzJerevinan said:

Does anyone know if these HP S700 SSD's are good?  I heard they have a high failure rate.  I bought 2 of the HP S700 250 GB SSD's on sale at Staples and it seems to have a bad review on Staples.com, Newegg and Amazon

This review is the 2017 models and I'm not even sure if they're using the same SMI SM2258XT and TLC 

Indeed, it is based off on a SMI SM2258XT controller. Would be good for general day to day tasks.

https://www.anandtech.com/show/11790/the-hp-s700-and-s700-pro-ssd-review

I had read something about these SSDs in the past. Regarding their high faliure rate. People said that it was due to a bad firmware which is fixed in the later iterations of the SSD.

SSD TIER LIST

CPU - Ryzen 7 3700X

1 minute ago, SgtSixpack said:

Linus recently made a video regarding this. 

It is a decent drive with Phison e12s controller. But the downside being the QLC NAND. Though it uses SLC caching. So it isn't terrible.

Here's the Linus's take on it..

SSD TIER LIST

CPU - Ryzen 7 3700X

8 hours ago, CalintzJerevinan said:

Likely they've moved to 64L/72L flash like other similar drives (SM2258XT-based budget). This doesn't mean the flash is good or reliable. I most often find these using 3D Samsung TLC (second tier/overstock), 72L Hynix (which is "meh"), etc. Initial failure rates on this type of flash tend towards the bathtub curve, that is to say short-term failure rates are high but beyond that they're fine.

12 hours ago, loolou78 said:

Nothing special about it, there's a ton of drives like this. They use an OEM version of the SMI SM2258 controller (in the Crucial MX500, ADATA SU800, etc) and pair it with second-tier flash. That tends to be a bit unreliable in the short-term at least. The issue with the X3 and drives like it (e.g. KingDian S280) is that hardware can be variable, that is you might end up with a DRAM-less SM2258XT controller instead.

• 4 weeks later...

The SATA WD Green and Kingston A400 are both in the lowest tier, but I will be using one as a game drive over a spinner, not a boot drive.  I boot from an 850 EVO.

So has anyone ever used both a WD Green and an A400?  Which would you give the edge to?

9 hours ago, chocolatekarma said:

The SATA WD Green and Kingston A400 are both in the lowest tier, but I will be using one as a game drive over a spinner, not a boot drive.  I boot from an 850 EVO.

So has anyone ever used both a WD Green and an A400?  Which would you give the edge to?

Generally, the A400, although I wouldn't worry about it for a games drive. It's a bit dependent on when you got the drives as both has shifted hardware over the years, but currently I would assume the A400 is better (given same capacity).

2 hours ago, NewMaxx said:

Generally, the A400, although I wouldn't worry about it for a games drive. It's a bit dependent on when you got the drives as both has shifted hardware over the years, but currently I would assume the A400 is better (given same capacity).

Thanks!

20 hours ago, Lem1697 said:

Hi, can Anyone tell me why the SanDisk SSD PLUS is in E Tier? It's on sale and I was thinking of getting it

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07D998212/ref=crt_ewc_title_dp_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

SanDisk SSD plus should be fine for general day to day use. But it has slightly slower transfer speed and inferior quality of plastic.

https://www.tweaktown.com/reviews/7726/sandisk-ssd-plus-z410-sata-iii-review/amp.html#Final-Thoughts

SSD TIER LIST

CPU - Ryzen 7 3700X

Where is the fatty dove? Or do we not have an S tier yet? 

Dirty Windows Peasants :P ?

• 4 weeks later...

What tier would you say is the minimum for use as a boot drive?

On 8/10/2020 at 4:29 PM, pilot35 said:

I highly suggest getting a 250 GB Samsung 860 EVO.

On 8/10/2020 at 5:32 PM, keremcnsz24 said:

MX500 or 860 Evo? 

Which one better? 

Why? 

Samsung 860 EVO is top of the tier wherever you look or research at.

Crucial MX500 is cheaper or the same price (depends on the country you're at) but has a lower TBW vs Samsung 860 EVO.

You might want to check Kingston KC600 because this is somehow exactly the same as Samsung 860 EVO.

4 hours ago, Zash said:

You might want to check Kingston KC600 because this is somehow exactly the same as Samsung 860 EVO.

You need to check your sources (if any) because that's incorrect. And in the case you're just referring to it's rated TBW value (which i have no idea if equal to Samsung 860 EVO or not and not going to check), it's not a sole characteristic by which you rate or choose a SSD.

Tag or quote me so i see your reply

On 8/10/2020 at 10:29 AM, pilot35 said:

Zash said 250GB but i would choose 500GB. I'm currently using 1TB as my boot drive, and i have exclusively system and some basic apps installed on it and still i have over 300GB used. Better safe than sorry.

• 3 weeks later...

Hey all. Sorry if this is often asked but is a dramless SSD good enough for games storage? Like team gx2 or ex2.

I'll boot from nvme and had a HDD for backups and general storage.

May I know why the WD Blue 3D is not the same tier as Sandisk Ultra 3D? Because some reviews say that they are identical SSDs but with different sticker/brand. 

On 8/10/2020 at 3:29 AM, pilot35 said:

Even a garbage drive will be better than a HDD as long as its reliable.

AMD 7950x / Asus Strix B650E / 64GB @ 6000c30 / 2TB Samsung 980 Pro Heatsink 4.0x4 / 7.68TB Samsung PM9A3 / 3.84TB Samsung PM983 / 44TB Synology 1522+ / MSI Gaming Trio 4090 / EVGA G6 1000w /Thermaltake View71 / LG C1 48in OLED

Custom water loop EK Vector AM4, D5 pump, Coolstream 420 radiator

980 Pro and Sabrent Rocket Plus 4 is out. Elpis controller on Samsung and Phison E18 on the new sabrent. 7Gb/s throughput on both.