LTT Official Folding Month 2019!!!

Go to solution Solved by GOTSpectrum,

Alright guys, the time for locking this thread has come, can you all please use the Folding Community Board for all further talk.

Thank you all again for participating in the event.

Once the sheet is cleaned up I will edit this post to add the link to the spreadsheet.

@TVwazhere Can you please lock this thread for me. 

1 hour ago, Rusted said:

There might be those too, but some might have registered to the event and only folded couple WUs and now wait for the event. I think that these users are still counted as active at stats.

Also if you go with GPU folding only getting 10WUs might take some time even if you fold 24/7. I have got some fun WUs that take over 5 hours with gtx 1070, so if you get these at start it will take some time.

And I know from last event that there are some serious folding power to be expected as top spot on the list is at stake ?

To anybody wondering if they should upgrade:

It's ok, you can click that buy button for that card. But wait you can get two or more with same shipping cost.

The Linus techtips forum way of thinking ?

I'm hopeful that I will have my rtx 2060 here before the start of the event, but I'm not expecting much of an increase in PPD as it's more of an efficiency upgrades. 

Plus the 1070ti system I have folding atm will need to go back to the owner at some point.

It's going to be fun to see though to say the least.

My Folding Stats - Join the fight against COVID-19 with FOLDING! - If someone has helped you out on the forum don't forget to give them a reaction to say thank you!

The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing. - Socrates

Please put as much effort into your question as you expect me to put into answering it. 

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
    Gigabyte Aorus GA-AX370-GAMING 5
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
    Cooler Master - MasterCase H500P
  • Storage
    Western Digital Black 250GB, Seagate BarraCuda 1TB x2
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
    Lenovo L29w-30 29 Inch UltraWide Full HD, BenQ - XL2430(portrait), Dell P2311Hb(portrait)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

1 hour ago, yaboistar said:

lmao i know how the finish button works, i mean that i want to specify a certain time that the machine hits finish on, and i want the ability for the machine to auto-shutdown when all wu's are finished and sent

Yeah I've always thought for some people with hot running laptops, or people who are super concious of their power bill, an 'off timer' type thing would be great.

I.e. you could just tell it to fold for 2-4 hours then stop (so you don't need to remember to stop it yourself).

4 minutes ago, mattheginger said:

Yeah I've always thought for some people with hot running laptops, or people who are super concious of their power bill, an 'off timer' type thing would be great.

I.e. you could just tell it to fold for 2-4 hours then stop (so you don't need to remember to stop it yourself).

I'm sure you can tell the client to finish with a script of some form..

@leadeater any input here?

My Folding Stats - Join the fight against COVID-19 with FOLDING! - If someone has helped you out on the forum don't forget to give them a reaction to say thank you!

Please put as much effort into your question as you expect me to put into answering it. 

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
  • Storage
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
    Lenovo L29w-30 29 Inch UltraWide Full HD, BenQ - XL2430(portrait), Dell P2311Hb(portrait)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

12 minutes ago, mattheginger said:

Shutdown after completing WU, it would be nice feature. If this kind of feature ever gets added it would be nice if it would also has a timer to let your pc to cool down.

1 hour ago, Rusted said:

Shutdown after completing WU, it would be nice feature. If this kind of feature ever gets added it would be nice if it would also has a timer to let your pc to cool down.

Or monitor temps to know when to back off a bit and not hit CPU and GPU so hard with tasks.

Purify your Windows 10/11, don't give Microsoft anything that you don't want to share.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1ZwVs9zrM493rjD42E2Pf0YcOkaW92ZUo

Tips for folding on laptop:

Lazy man wants upgrades from the sky.

https://stats.foldingathome.org/donor/Spakes

1 hour ago, Spakes said:

Or monitor temps to know when to back off a bit and not hit CPU and GPU so hard with tasks.

I think there is tmax setting that will stop folding on nvidia gpu, if it gets above set temp. Then there's a setting for a time to wait it to cool, but I haven't used them can't tell if it works.

But in general I have understood that cpu and gpus try to do their power management themselves. But with FAH workloads they might struggling as most cases the systems we use aren't designed to be at 100% load 24/7. So it may be necessary to manually adjust clocks and voltages.

1 minute ago, Rusted said:

I think there is tmax setting that will stop folding on nvidia gpu, if it gets above set temp. Then there's a setting for a time to wait it to cool, but I haven't used them can't tell if it works.

But in general I have understood that cpu and gpus try to do their power management themselves. But with FAH workloads they might struggling as most cases the systems we use aren't designed to be at 100% load 24/7. So it may be necessary to manually adjust clocks and voltages.

Which I described as the methods to do folding on laptops 24/7. Windows still has some control over P-states, you know... But it will be like... 75-80% from their full potentian, tbh.

Purify your Windows 10/11, don't give Microsoft anything that you don't want to share.

11 hours ago, yaboistar said:

there are some options i'd like, such as shutting down after WU's finish and finishing after a certain time

There are command-line options to finish after X number of Work Units as well which might be useful for people who want to fold overnight.

Try running “FAHClient /?” from a command prompt.

Using the Windows Scheduler and the command line switches should give you lots of knobs to tweak.

FaH BOINC HfM

Bifrost - 6 GPU Folding Rig  Linux Folding HOWTO Folding Remote Access Folding GPU Profiling ToU Scheduling UPS

Systems:

desktop: Lian-Li O11 Air Mini; Asus ProArt x670 WiFi; Ryzen 9 7950x; EVGA 240 CLC; 4 x 32GB DDR5-5600; 2 x Samsung 980 Pro 500GB PCIe3 NVMe; 2 x 8TB NAS; AMD FirePro W4100; MSI 4070 Ti Super Ventus 2; Corsair SF750

nas1: Fractal Node 804; SuperMicro X10sl7-f; Xeon e3-1231v3; 4 x 8GB DDR3-1666 ECC; 2 x 250GB Samsung EVO Pro SSD; 7 x 4TB Seagate NAS; Corsair HX650i

nas2: Synology DS-123j; 2 x 6TB WD Red Plus NAS

nas3: Synology DS-224+; 2 x 12TB Seagate NAS

dcn01: Fractal Meshify S2; Gigabyte Aorus ax570 Master; Ryzen 9 5900x; Noctua NH-D15; 4 x 16GB DDR4-3200; 512GB NVMe; 2 x Zotac AMP 4070ti; Corsair RM750Mx

dcn02: Fractal Meshify S2; Gigabyte ax570 Pro WiFi; Ryzen 9 3950x; Noctua NH-D15; 2 x 16GB DDR4-3200; 128GB NVMe; 2 x Zotac AMP 4070ti; Corsair RM750x

dcn03: Fractal Meshify C; Gigabyte Aorus z370 Gaming 5; i9-9900k; BeQuiet! PureRock 2 Black; 2 x 8GB DDR4-2400; 128GB SATA m.2; MSI 4070 Ti Super Gaming X; MSI 4070 Ti Super Ventus 2; Corsair TX650m

dcn05: Fractal Define S; Gigabyte Aorus b450m; Ryzen 7 2700; AMD Wraith; 2 x 8GB DDR 4-3200; 128GB SATA NVMe; Gigabyte Gaming RTX 4080 Super; Corsair TX750m

dcn06: Fractal Focus G Mini; Gigabyte Aorus b450m; Ryzen 7 2700; AMD Wraith; 2 x 8GB DDR 4-3200; 128GB SSD; Gigabyte Gaming RTX 4080 Super; Corsair CX650m

2 hours ago, Spakes said:

Which I described as the methods to do folding on laptops 24/7. Windows still has some control over P-states, you know... But it will be like... 75-80% from their full potentian, tbh.

I haven’t had a laptop with a decent GPU to play with but I have seen posts where people have raised the bottom rear of the laptop to improve airflow or even run it opened 45 degrees upside down in an “A” configuration as well as the usual methods of changing the Power Plan to “Performance” etc.

My “hottest” rig is a Fractal Core 1100 mid tower chassis with a GTX 1060 6GB short board with a Noctua 120mm iPPC 2000rpm front intake, a 3200 rpm 92mm rear exhaust and a slim 15mm 120mm side exhaust with a Noctua NF-A1 fan controller and a Noctua LNA connected to the front intake to quiet it down a bit. This system will just barely run at full power on the GPU keeping the GPU in the mid 70s.

In most single GPU rigs the GPU Boost algorithms do an adequate job of controlling the temperature but in a chassis with poor airflow sometimes removing the side panel will help when folding full-tilt.

With two GPUs I’ve found manually increasing the fan speed an extra 10% or so on the lower GPU will help the upper GPU from getting too hot and boosting down as much.

I’ve gotten in the habit of removing all the slot covers at the rear of rigs to try and force more hot air out the rear by the GPUs.

FaH BOINC HfM

Bifrost - 6 GPU Folding Rig  Linux Folding HOWTO Folding Remote Access Folding GPU Profiling ToU Scheduling UPS

Systems:

desktop: Lian-Li O11 Air Mini; Asus ProArt x670 WiFi; Ryzen 9 7950x; EVGA 240 CLC; 4 x 32GB DDR5-5600; 2 x Samsung 980 Pro 500GB PCIe3 NVMe; 2 x 8TB NAS; AMD FirePro W4100; MSI 4070 Ti Super Ventus 2; Corsair SF750

nas1: Fractal Node 804; SuperMicro X10sl7-f; Xeon e3-1231v3; 4 x 8GB DDR3-1666 ECC; 2 x 250GB Samsung EVO Pro SSD; 7 x 4TB Seagate NAS; Corsair HX650i

dcn01: Fractal Meshify S2; Gigabyte Aorus ax570 Master; Ryzen 9 5900x; Noctua NH-D15; 4 x 16GB DDR4-3200; 512GB NVMe; 2 x Zotac AMP 4070ti; Corsair RM750Mx

dcn02: Fractal Meshify S2; Gigabyte ax570 Pro WiFi; Ryzen 9 3950x; Noctua NH-D15; 2 x 16GB DDR4-3200; 128GB NVMe; 2 x Zotac AMP 4070ti; Corsair RM750x

dcn03: Fractal Meshify C; Gigabyte Aorus z370 Gaming 5; i9-9900k; BeQuiet! PureRock 2 Black; 2 x 8GB DDR4-2400; 128GB SATA m.2; MSI 4070 Ti Super Gaming X; MSI 4070 Ti Super Ventus 2; Corsair TX650m

dcn05: Fractal Define S; Gigabyte Aorus b450m; Ryzen 7 2700; AMD Wraith; 2 x 8GB DDR 4-3200; 128GB SATA NVMe; Gigabyte Gaming RTX 4080 Super; Corsair TX750m

dcn06: Fractal Focus G Mini; Gigabyte Aorus b450m; Ryzen 7 2700; AMD Wraith; 2 x 8GB DDR 4-3200; 128GB SSD; Gigabyte Gaming RTX 4080 Super; Corsair CX650m

6 hours ago, GOTSpectrum said:

I'm hopeful that I will have my rtx 2060 here before the start of the event, but I'm not expecting much of an increase in PPD as it's more of an efficiency upgrades. ...

Nice.

FaH BOINC HfM

Systems:

6 hours ago, Gorgon said:

I haven’t had a laptop with a decent GPU to play with but I have seen posts where people have raised the bottom rear of the laptop to improve airflow or even run it opened 45 degrees upside down in an “A” configuration as well as the usual methods of changing the Power Plan to “Performance” etc.

My “hottest” rig is a Fractal Core 1100 mid tower chassis with a GTX 1060 6GB short board with a Noctua 120mm iPPC 2000rpm front intake, a 3200 rpm 92mm rear exhaust and a slim 15mm 120mm side exhaust with a Noctua NF-A1 fan controller and a Noctua LNA connected to the front intake to quiet it down a bit. This system will just barely run at full power on the GPU keeping the GPU in the mid 70s.

In most single GPU rigs the GPU Boost algorithms do an adequate job of controlling the temperature but in a chassis with poor airflow sometimes removing the side panel will help when folding full-tilt.

With two GPUs I’ve found manually increasing the fan speed an extra 10% or so on the lower GPU will help the upper GPU from getting too hot and boosting down as much.

I’ve gotten in the habit of removing all the slot covers at the rear of rigs to try and force more hot air out the rear by the GPUs.

You don't want "Perfomance" power plan on laptop, trust me... Miners even on PC hardware undervolt and downclock their GPUs...

This is weird. My processor was 2 hours away from completing a work unit much like the graphics card. I had to pause it for a bit a little over two hours ago. Ten minutes after pausing it I unpaused and it still showed the same estimate. 10 minutes after that, I check on the progress and the processor goes to 12 HOURS on its estimate, and is gaining percentage at a much slower rate. Even the CPU percentage on Task Manager which would normally be over 90% while folding as I watch videos and study is now at 24%. Even the Ryzen Master monitoring utility is showing less core use. And no, I didn't change it from Medium to Light. The settings have been on medium the whole time.

When my graphics card is done with its work unit, I will try restarting my computer. Tried changing it from Medium to Full and back to see if a setting change would undo the issue but no go.

Welp, nevermind. The problem just sort of went away on its own.

And nevermind that nevermind. I think this recurring problem needs to be addressed.
image.png.4c2d5b1412cd1ee4572b824e5dade725.png

It did stop after 3 minutes and is showing the regular ETA now, but that is aggravating.

10 minutes ago, Erudito said:

And nevermind that nevermind. I think this recurring problem needs to be addressed.
image.png.4c2d5b1412cd1ee4572b824e5dade725.png

It did stop after 3 minutes and is showing the regular ETA now, but that is aggravating.

As many mentioned, I'd also reccomend using the Advanced Control, you can open it by going to your hidden incons (in taskbar, by the network symbol usually) then finding the folding client logo in the menu that opens, right click and advanced control, or search for it in the Start Menu as others suggested. There are plenty of details you won't need in there, granted, so the GUI is a bit more crowded, but it gives you more control. I too had this issue you described, but only on my laptop, which is quite odd, but at least it solved itself.

4 minutes ago, McAztec said:

As many mentioned, I'd also reccomend using the Advanced Control, you can open it by going to your hidden incons (in taskbar, by the network symbol usually) then finding the folding client logo in the menu that opens, right click and advanced control, or search for it in the Start Menu as others suggested. There are plenty of details you won't need in there, granted, so the GUI is a bit more crowded, but it gives you more control. I too had this issue you described, but only on my laptop, which is quite odd, but at least it solved itself.

I don't know where to find the setting in advanced control that stops this from happening.

1 hour ago, Erudito said:

I don't know where to find the setting in advanced control that stops this from happening.

Just don't use the web client for performance reporting, it's just completely terrible for it. Same goes for the advanced client for that matter. Just use those and Task Manager to make sure jobs are actually running and using system resources then use EOC website to track your actual performance, that you can rely on to be accurate. Your profile page on the Folding at Home website can be used to, just don't use the local web control client or advance client for that.

image.png.0c41fce28600011c5b3d32643fd73f45.png

Above is what you should look at (on EOC)

1 hour ago, Erudito said:

It's called FAHcontrol, try the search in start menu. 

Like @leadeater pointed out EOC website is a good place to see your stats.

Spoiler

image.png.43b0b7dc3040f69a4209dfa7dc9859a6.png

Well @johnsdre It was a battle I was going to loose I even tried to get my friends to fold but they decided to fold under their own name.

Congrats to my only threat!

So the usual update guys, 

the number of active folders for team LTT has decreased to 1,034,

but production is up to 138M PPD over the last 24 hours. 

We have 1,205 signed up for the event so far. 

Happy folding everyone!!!

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
  • Storage
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

4 minutes ago, FMAranda said:

Hi! How do I make sure I'm signed up?

If you message me your folding and forum name I can check the datasheet and let you know. 

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
  • Storage
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

Have to say guys, I'm not liking this heatwave we have at all...

35C we have had today, which for you guys in hotter countries may not see mall that hot, you have to remember AC isnt really a thing here ,and our houses are built to keep heat in, not out. 

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
  • Storage
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240