Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
GOTSpectrum

LTT Official Folding Month 2019!!!

Alright guys, the time for locking this thread has come, can you all please use the Folding Community Board for all further talk.

Thank you all again for participating in the event.

Once the sheet is cleaned up I will edit this post to add the link to the spreadsheet.

@TVwazhere Can you please lock this thread for me. 

21 hours ago, sanya567xxx said:

do you have "prefer maximum performance" setting of power in nvidia control panel? 

I didn't have that set... No.

Here's hoping that it fixes the problem!  Thanks!

My F@H Stats   --  i7-3770  --  Asus P8Z77-V  --  16 GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3  --  Gigabyte 1660 Ti Gaming OC  --  Corsair Obsidian 650D  --  Corsair HX-650 PSU

Posted · Original PosterOP

20 More random steam keys donated by @ossi120 have just been added to the pot. With some held in reserve for future events.

Can we all make sure we thank the man!

My Folding Stats

The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing. - Socrates

Please put as much effort into your question as you expect me to put into answering it. 

• CPU
    Ryzen 7 1700 3GHz 8-Core Processor @ 3.7Ghz
  • Motherboard
    GA-AX370-GAMING 5
  • RAM
    DOMINATOR Platinum 16GB (2 x 8GB) @ 3400mhz
  • GPU
    EVGA GTX 1080ti SC2 Hybrid, Aorus GTX 1080 Waterforce
  • Case
    Cooler Master - MasterCase H500P
  • Storage
    Western Digital Black 250GB, Seagate BarraCuda 1TB x2
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
    BenQ - XL2430(144hz), Dell 24" portrait
  • Cooling
    Wraith Spire LED

Well, soon 3 weeks in and not going as planed. Alot of hassle with getting my Vega 64 to work in a VM without crashing the host and a bit of a back-lash for not reading up enough when i bought my RX 5700xt that it could not run FAH.

so i'm stuck with two RX480 chugging away as good as thay can. Looks like the problems with the Vega 64 is starting to get solved after several weeks of head bashing, now lets hope i can get is stable at full clock. right now it capped to 1200mhz core and 945mhz mem.

Hope to make it in to top 100, 114 possition right now so i think it may be possible :)

Posted this in today's blog entry, I'll post it here as well.

I gave my grandfather a call today, tried to describe best I could for him what we were doing here. He told me, "I don't quite understand it, but as long as you're saving lives doing it."

What is a mad scientist but a wizard who writes things down?

47 minutes ago, Kochiha Ichihara said:

Posted this in today's blog entry, I'll post it here as well.

I gave my grandfather a call today, tried to describe best I could for him what we were doing here. He told me, "I don't quite understand it, but as long as you're saving lives doing it."

Good man! Respect dude. 

MSI B450 Pro Gaming Pro Carbon AC | AMD Ryzen 2700x 1.35V @ 4.1GhZ  | NZXT  Kraken X52  MSI GeForce RTX2070 Armour | Corsair Vengeance LPX (2*8) 16GB 3200MhZ | Samsung 970 evo M.2Nvme 500GB Boot  / Samsung 860 evo 500GB SSD | Corsair RM550X (2018) | Fractal Design Meshify C white | Logitech G pro WirelessGigabyte Aurus AD27QD 

3 hours ago, Xoggy said:

Well, soon 3 weeks in and not going as planed. Alot of hassle with getting my Vega 64 to work in a VM without crashing the host and a bit of a back-lash for not reading up enough when i bought my RX 5700xt that it could not run FAH.

so i'm stuck with two RX480 chugging away as good as thay can. Looks like the problems with the Vega 64 is starting to get solved after several weeks of head bashing, now lets hope i can get is stable at full clock. right now it capped to 1200mhz core and 945mhz mem.

Hope to make it in to top 100, 114 possition right now so i think it may be possible :)

what host are you on? I'm about 60% done on my threadripper KVM passthrough guide, which I pass-through my vega to KVM and been folding week through no problem.

4 minutes ago, AwAfrican said:

I think I've got to start folding on the other half's PC as well, my 1050ti is slacking. Good news is I'm trending upwards 

Yes please! The more power the better!

X399M Taichi - Threadripper 1950X - Titan X Pascal - GTX 1070 FE - Dominator Plats SE Contrast - InWin 301 - EVGA 850 G2 - Full Custom Watercooling

BlackMac Woody  60% Keyboard

16 minutes ago, RollinLower said:

Yes please! The more power the better!

it does not seem to like the 650ti in the comp and bogs the HDD down far too much that the mouse shudders when moving it. so that's not an option.

12 minutes ago, AwAfrican said:

it does not seem to like the 650ti in the comp and bogs the HDD down far too much that the mouse shudders when moving it. so that's not an option.

That's too bad. Can't you set it so it stops folding when you use the PC? So when the PC is idle it starts folding. 

That way you shouldn't experience bad performance while using the machine.

X399M Taichi - Threadripper 1950X - Titan X Pascal - GTX 1070 FE - Dominator Plats SE Contrast - InWin 301 - EVGA 850 G2 - Full Custom Watercooling

BlackMac Woody  60% Keyboard

So using PPD at the metric, I thought it would be interesting to post average stats.  I set the NVIDIA control panel 3d settings to max power as some people have suggested above.  Averages were taken by glancing at it a few times on Full when under no other load.  Here are mine, rounded:

(1st System)

CPU i9-9900k:  150k

GPU NVIDIA RTX 2070 SUPER:  1.25m

(2nd System)

CPU i7-8700:  80k

GPU NVIDIA GTX 1070:  570k

8 minutes ago, JVK said:

So using PPD at the metric, I thought it would be interesting to post average stats.  I set the NVIDIA control panel 3d settings to max power as some people have suggested above.  Averages were taken by glancing at it a few times on Full when under no other load.  Here are mine, rounded:

(1st System)

CPU i9-9900k:  150k

GPU NVIDIA RTX 2070 SUPER:  1.25m

(2nd System)

CPU i7-8700:  80k

GPU NVIDIA GTX 1070:  570k

mine are

CPU 7700k: not folding

GPU #1 - 2070 super: 1.3M to 1.5M

GPU #2 - 1070ti 700k - 800k

IT can vary up and down depending on the WU

14180 & 14191 can drop my PPD to under 2M for both cards

14196 is consistent and I can get around 2.3M+ out of that

Folding Stats

SYSTEM SPEC

Intel  i7 7700k | Motherboard Asus Strix Z270H | RAM 16gb 2666 Corsair Void Pro | GPU Nvidia RTX 2070 Super & Asus Strix 1070Ti AE | Cooling Asus Ryujin 240 | Case Cooler Master MC500M | Storage Samsuing SM951 1tb, Samsung SM950 128gb 

PSU EVGA SuperNova 850 G2 | Display Acer Predator XB271HU | Keyboard Corsair K70 Lux | Mouse Corsair M65 Pro  

Sound Logitech Z560 THX | Operating System Windows 10 Pro

1 hour ago, TensorVortex said:

what host are you on? I'm about 60% done on my threadripper KVM passthrough guide, which I pass-through my vega to KVM and been folding week through no problem.

Running Proxmox 5.4 atm just on my way to update to 6.0 becuse it looks like i have a Kernel bug on the host regarding DMAR, About 2 hours of having load on the GPU the kernel hangs all CPU threads with the message: DMAR: DRHD: handling fault status 40

Do you have any pointers? Guest os is Win 10 1903 running adrenaline 19.10.1 drivers seted up as a q35 machine with OVMF bootloader ("bios")

Posted · Original PosterOP
12 minutes ago, Kochiha Ichihara said:

So our average points per 24 hours as a team is currently 520,596,930. This is the highest production of anybody in the top 100. We're pretty freaking epic.

Weve been the best producing team for the past week or so by now btw guys

My Folding Stats

The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing. - Socrates

Please put as much effort into your question as you expect me to put into answering it. 

• CPU
    Ryzen 7 1700 3GHz 8-Core Processor @ 3.7Ghz
  • Motherboard
    GA-AX370-GAMING 5
  • RAM
    DOMINATOR Platinum 16GB (2 x 8GB) @ 3400mhz
  • GPU
    EVGA GTX 1080ti SC2 Hybrid, Aorus GTX 1080 Waterforce
  • Case
    Cooler Master - MasterCase H500P
  • Storage
    Western Digital Black 250GB, Seagate BarraCuda 1TB x2
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
    BenQ - XL2430(144hz), Dell 24" portrait
  • Cooling
    Wraith Spire LED
1 hour ago, Xoggy said:

Running Proxmox 5.4 atm just on my way to update to 6.0 becuse it looks like i have a Kernel bug on the host regarding DMAR, About 2 hours of having load on the GPU the kernel hangs all CPU threads with the message: DMAR: DRHD: handling fault status 40

Do you have any pointers? Guest os is Win 10 1903 running adrenaline 19.10.1 drivers seted up as a q35 machine with OVMF bootloader ("bios")

all my setup info is here: https://github.com/MingyaoLiu/Threadripper-KVM-guide

You can check out my config and everything

1 hour ago, shaz2sxy said:

mine are

CPU 7700k: not folding

GPU #1 - 2070 super: 1.3M to 1.5M

GPU #2 - 1070ti 700k - 800k

IT can vary up and down depending on the WU

14180 & 14191 can drop my PPD to under 2M for both cards

14196 is consistent and I can get around 2.3M+ out of that

I have read conflicting things about CPU folding.  (Not really going to deep dive into the issue personally.)  On the one side, I hear that the CPU just doesn't perform that well vs. the GPU so why bother stressing it thermally, etc. at all.  The other side seems to be people claiming that CPUs are sent different types of problems to solve and that while they generate less points, that there are certain science problems that they are actually better at solving and so including them is actually helpful.

For all the Stats nerds out there. Here are my numbers since 08:00GMT 6 Oct. when I did the final card shuffle to balance the heat and power loading across the systems:

image.png.2a6a5bbf820f009fcf8ee6073d0979eb.png

Notes:

• The 1060s are both 6GB versions, the first is a short-board.
  • The 2070 is an early binned "A" variant and is a very strong over-clocker and has managed to out-produce one of the 2070 Super Hybrids.
  • I haven't applied more than a modest overclock to the hybrids. They are running either +45 or +60 and are at about 50C to 65C
3 hours ago, RollinLower said:

That's too bad. Can't you set it so it stops folding when you use the PC? So when the PC is idle it starts folding. 

That way you shouldn't experience bad performance while using the machine.

Oh absolutely I can set it to that, but it wouldn't even download GPU tasks which I thought was odd. I'm just leaving my rig on full power 24/7 right now for the remainder of the month and will go back to light folding following the event. I'm eyeing a RTX2070 super so the wife will get the 1050ti, and then I'll fold on both. But that won't happen till probably after Christmas.  

1 hour ago, JVK said:

I have read conflicting things about CPU folding.  (Not really going to deep dive into the issue personally.)  On the one side, I hear that the CPU just doesn't perform that well vs. the GPU so why bother stressing it thermally, etc. at all.  The other side seems to be people claiming that CPUs are sent different types of problems to solve and that while they generate less points, that there are certain science problems that they are actually better at solving and so including them is actually helpful.

Yeah the CPU does have different WU, but for me the 7700k temps get toasty so didnt want to increase overall temps in my case.

once I delid(after this months event) I;m going to see how it runs on CPU folding for temps

Folding Stats

SYSTEM SPEC

Intel  i7 7700k | Motherboard Asus Strix Z270H | RAM 16gb 2666 Corsair Void Pro | GPU Nvidia RTX 2070 Super & Asus Strix 1070Ti AE | Cooling Asus Ryujin 240 | Case Cooler Master MC500M | Storage Samsuing SM951 1tb, Samsung SM950 128gb 

PSU EVGA SuperNova 850 G2 | Display Acer Predator XB271HU | Keyboard Corsair K70 Lux | Mouse Corsair M65 Pro  

Sound Logitech Z560 THX | Operating System Windows 10 Pro

:I  I just keep wishing bigadv come back for CPUs, especially since getting high core count chips are way easier to afford now.

I still remember back in the GTX480/580 days my GPUs got their butts handed to them by 2P/4P systems that did bigadv.

Just a nutty gal that abuse hardware with F@H and BOINC.

F@H & BOINC Installation on Linux Guide

My CPU Army: 4690K Delid, E5-2670V3, 1900X, 1950X, 5960X J Batch

My GPU Army:960 FTW at 1551MHz, 1080Ti FTW3, 1080Ti SC, 1070 Hybrid, 2x Titan XP

My Console Brigade: Gamecube, Wii, Wii U, Switch, PS2 Fatty, PS4 Pro, Xbox One S, Xbox One X

My Tablet Squad: iPad 9.7" (2018 model), Samsung Tab S, Nexus 7 (1st gen)

Hardware lost to Kevdog's Law of Folding

OG Titan, 5960X, ThermalTake BlackWidow 850 Watt PSU

3 hours ago, JVK said:

So for F@H they are sent different jobs but usually just much smaller ones that can be handled by the lower parallel processing. That being said its not like the cpu jobs in folding aren't things that could be better calculated on a GPU so the difference there is that you aren't hurting anything by not cpu folding. All that being said a lot of the reason most of us don't cpu fold isn't just because they are much less efficient its because in certain cases it will actually hinder your gpu folding efficiency. For instance for nvidia gpus you need to leave at least one cpu core for the processing bandwidth that is needed for the gpu to talk back and forth with the cpu other issues might be heat as keeping your gpu 3c colder could bump you up 15mhz. and such like that.

If you have the extra cpu power and it wont effect anything else go for it. The number one motto in folding is "every bit helps" but it definitely isn't as efficient as gpu folding.

1 hour ago, AwAfrican said:

Oh absolutely I can set it to that, but it wouldn't even download GPU tasks which I thought was odd. I'm just leaving my rig on full power 24/7 right now for the remainder of the month and will go back to light folding following the event. I'm eyeing a RTX2070 super so the wife will get the 1050ti, and then I'll fold on both. But that won't happen till probably after Christmas.  

This might actually be a bug that is going on in folding where it fails to download work units sometimes. I would try to delete the slot and re add it to see if it will work.

Folding Community Board:

Also check out our Official Folding Month event:

17 minutes ago, palespartan said:

This might actually be a bug that is going on in folding where it fails to download work units sometimes. I would try to delete the slot and re add it to see if it will work.

Tried a couple of times, no luck.