LTT Official Folding Month 2019!!!

Go to solution Solved by GOTSpectrum,

Alright guys, the time for locking this thread has come, can you all please use the Folding Community Board for all further talk.

Thank you all again for participating in the event.

Once the sheet is cleaned up I will edit this post to add the link to the spreadsheet.

@TVwazhere Can you please lock this thread for me. 

10 minutes ago, Nathans nonsense said:

does anyone know how to get a finished WU to upload, my internet got cut out and now there's a finished one just sitting around

i just quit the client and start it again

Folding Stats

SYSTEM SPEC

AMD Ryzen 5 5600X | Motherboard Asus Strix B550i | RAM 32gb 3200 Crucial Ballistix | GPU Nvidia RTX 3070 Founder Edition | Cooling Barrow CPU/PUMP Block, EKWB Vector GPU Block, Corsair 280mm Radiator | Case NZXT H1 | Storage Sabrent Rocket 2tb, Samsung SM951 1tb

PSU NZXT S650 SFX Gold | Display Acer Predator XB271HU | Keyboard Corsair K70 Lux | Mouse Corsair M65 Pro  

Sound Logitech Z560 THX | Operating System Windows 10 Pro

only 1,576,882 points today due to loss of internet last night ?

hopefully can still stick in top 30

Folding Stats

SYSTEM SPEC

AMD Ryzen 5 5600X | Motherboard Asus Strix B550i | RAM 32gb 3200 Crucial Ballistix | GPU Nvidia RTX 3070 Founder Edition | Cooling Barrow CPU/PUMP Block, EKWB Vector GPU Block, Corsair 280mm Radiator | Case NZXT H1 | Storage Sabrent Rocket 2tb, Samsung SM951 1tb

PSU NZXT S650 SFX Gold | Display Acer Predator XB271HU | Keyboard Corsair K70 Lux | Mouse Corsair M65 Pro  

Sound Logitech Z560 THX | Operating System Windows 10 Pro

50 minutes ago, Gorgon said:

BAM! - well someone named mackerel made over 346 million points yesterday

Holy             

Time for some ranky-doodles!

My Folding Stats - Join the fight against COVID-19 with FOLDING! - If someone has helped you out on the forum don't forget to give them a reaction to say thank you!

The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing. - Socrates

Please put as much effort into your question as you expect me to put into answering it. 

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
    Gigabyte Aorus GA-AX370-GAMING 5
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
    Cooler Master - MasterCase H500P
  • Storage
    Western Digital Black 250GB, Seagate BarraCuda 1TB x2
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
    Lenovo L29w-30 29 Inch UltraWide Full HD, BenQ - XL2430(portrait), Dell P2311Hb(portrait)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

8 hours ago, Zando Bob said:

I've ran SLI, OCed 1080s and an OCed 8600K off a 650W PSU (EVGA G3) just fine. Unless they have a really hungry CPU, a 2060 and 590 should be fine on that PSU. Though like you said, depends on the model. 

here's where I flex that I may or may not be an idiot but anyways I'm running an EVGA 1600W T2 in my folding rig so defo on the better quality end of EVGA PSUs

I also have a G3, but it only has 3 PCI-E headers. Also, my 8086K running at 5.2GHz is quite hungry, topping out at what's reported as 158W, but commonly using 35-45W while folding. Living out in the country where we have all sorts of power issues though, I'm worried about my UPS as well. I tried folding with both my GPU and with my 2600K (running embedded graphics and linux) in my server and it said NOPE NOT TODAY and shut off so now my server just does its thing and holds my data and syncs it to the cloud for me.

I might have to figure out a way to get it into my HTPC soon - it'll do a lot of good with my 2400G.

Oh yeah, three days off this weekend.  And, weather is staying below 90F lately (still mid to high 80Fs).  So, 2nd rig will be brought up this weekend.

So glad I got my Switch and Xbox One X to play games in the mean time.  Almost done with Link's Awakening at this rate.

2023 BOINC Pentathlon Event

F@H & BOINC Installation on Linux Guide

My CPU Army: 5800X, E5-2670V3, 1950X, 5960X J Batch, 10750H *lappy

My GPU Army:3080Ti, 960 FTW @ 1551MHz, RTX 2070 Max-Q *lappy

My Console Brigade: Gamecube, Wii, Wii U, Switch, PS2 Fatty, Xbox One S, Xbox One X

My Tablet Squad: iPad Air 5th Gen, Samsung Tab S, Nexus 7 (1st gen)

3D Printer Unit: Prusa MK3S, Prusa Mini, EPAX E10

VR Headset: Quest 2

Hardware lost to Kevdog's Law of Folding

OG Titan, 5960X, ThermalTake BlackWidow 850 Watt PSU

9 minutes ago, azmariadei said:

I also have a G3, but it only has 3 PCI-E headers. Also, my 8086K running at 5.2GHz is quite hungry, topping out at what's reported as 158W, but commonly using 35-45W while folding.

How much hungrier is the 8086K than the 8600K? I ran an 8600K at 5Ghz with those SLI 1080s, IIRC I pushed it up to 5.1 at 1.4v, but that voltage was too high for 24/7 IMO, don't remember if I had both cards in at the time. 

10 minutes ago, azmariadei said:

Living out in the country where we have all sorts of power issues though, I'm worried about my UPS as well. I tried folding with both my GPU and with my 2600K (running embedded graphics and linux) in my server and it said NOPE NOT TODAY and shut off so now my server just does its thing and holds my data and syncs it to the cloud for me.

? I've been blessed to live where there's good power, even stuff like the Vega Frontier Edition (just a Vega 64 with 16GB VRAM) I ran for a bit never caused issues. I don't know if I've ever had hungrier hardware than that, if I get my SR-2 up and running I may though (it'll let me OC two 6c/12t Westmere-EP chips and at 1.4-1.45v those bois can eat a good bit of power). 

Intel HEDT and Server platform enthusiasts: Intel HEDT Xeon/i7 Megathread 

Main PC 

CPU: i9 7980XE @4.5GHz/1.22v/-2 AVX offset 

Cooler: EKWB Supremacy Block - custom loop w/360mm +280mm rads 

Motherboard: EVGA X299 Dark 

RAM:4x8GB HyperX Predator DDR4 @3200Mhz CL16 

GPU: Nvidia FE 2060 Super/Corsair HydroX 2070 FE block 

Storage:  1TB MP34 + 1TB 970 Evo + 500GB Atom30 + 250GB 960 Evo 

Optical Drives: LG WH14NS40 

PSU: EVGA 1600W T2 

Case & Fans: Corsair 750D Airflow - 3x Noctua iPPC NF-F12 + 4x Noctua iPPC NF-A14 PWM 

Display: LG 27UK650-W (4K 60Hz IPS panel)

Mouse: EVGA X17

Keyboard: Corsair K55 RGB

Mobile/Work Devices: 2020 M1 MacBook Air (work computer) - iPhone 13 Pro Max - Apple Watch S3

Other Misc Devices: iPod Video (Gen 5.5E, 128GB SD card swap, running Rockbox), Nintendo Switch

8 minutes ago, Zando Bob said:

How much hungrier is the 8086K than the 8600K? I ran an 8600K at 5Ghz with those SLI 1080s, IIRC I pushed it up to 5.1 at 1.4v, but that voltage was too high for 24/7 IMO, don't remember if I had both cards in at the time. 

It regularly hits 1.515V and soaks it up like a day at the spa but spends most of the time around 1.46V With my AIO it ranges from 28-86C, topping out at around 78C with most loads and only going higher with stress tests. Right now, folding, it's using 1.46V and sitting at ~50C and 48W. I start up Chrome... Oh goodness...

3 minutes ago, azmariadei said:

It regularly hits 1.515V and soaks it up like a day at the spa but spends most of the time around 1.46V With my AIO it ranges from 28-86C, topping out at around 78C with most loads and only going higher with stress tests. Right now, folding, it's using 1.46V and sitting at ~50C and 48W. I start up Chrome... Oh goodness...

Y-yikes that's a little high, IIRC the safe max for 8000 series is 1.4v, 1.45v if you're brave (for 24/7, bench runs at higher voltages are fine). Though it is an 8086K so even if it degrades slightly at that voltage you'll probs still be able to hit an even 5Ghz on a safe voltage. 

I don't usually push over 1.45v even on my Westmere-EP chips. Those can take like 1.6v for bench runs, I've had some people claim they ran that 24/7 but I've seen others who I trust more say they degrade pretty rapidly at that voltage so I avoid it. 

Main PC 

Case & Fans: Corsair 750D Airflow - 3x Noctua iPPC NF-F12 + 4x Noctua iPPC NF-A14 PWM 

Mobile/Work Devices: 2020 M1 MacBook Air (work computer) - iPhone 13 Pro Max - Apple Watch S3

Other Misc Devices: iPod Video (Gen 5.5E, 128GB SD card swap, running Rockbox), Nintendo Switch

Processor is no longer showing Ready and a non-functional download. Been getting a few lower point WUs...

Image result for this puts a smile on my face

5 minutes ago, Zando Bob said:

Y-yikes that's a little high, IIRC the safe max for 8000 series is 1.4v, 1.45v if you're brave (for 24/7, bench runs at higher voltages are fine). Though it is an 8086K so even if it degrades slightly at that voltage you'll probs still be able to hit an even 5Ghz on a safe voltage. 

I don't usually push over 1.45v even on my Westmere-EP chips. Those can take like 1.6v for bench runs, I've had some people claim they ran that 24/7 but I've seen others who I trust more say they degrade pretty rapidly at that voltage so I avoid it. 

i did very basic overclocking on it... the voltages are set automatically and i just let it take what it wants. If it's the IA Voltage you mean, that's a stable 1.382V but the individual core voltages float.

Sorry, I went to school and learned on computers last millenium so trying to relate the modern computers to the old 486 and pentium 200 systems of yore isn't always the easiest. I do my best to read everything and keep up, but technology changes so fast and there's so much to miss these days. If you need me to rebuild an MFM or IDE hard drive, I'm your woman... Delid a CPU? maybe not...

That being said, am I being an idiot about my voltages? Or does this look normal?

Annotation 2019-10-11 222001.jpg

6 minutes ago, azmariadei said:

hat being said, am I being an idiot about my voltages? Or does this look normal?

1.5v - if it's on the core (I never got really deep into it so IDK what's safe on the other voltages) - is definitely too high from everything I've seen, you should be able to hit 5.1-5.2 at like 1.4v or so, probably less since 8086K's are a binned 8700K. Manual OCs let you fine tune the voltage, the mobo's auto voltage will usually overcompensate to make sure there's no chance of it being unstable. If you have the time to manually tweak it (it takes a lot of reboots lol), I recommend you find a good video or ask around on the proper section here and fix those voltages. 

Main PC 

28 minutes ago, azmariadei said:

i did very basic overclocking on it... the voltages are set automatically and i just let it take what it wants. If it's the IA Voltage you mean, that's a stable 1.382V but the individual core voltages float.

Sorry, I went to school and learned on computers last millenium so trying to relate the modern computers to the old 486 and pentium 200 systems of yore isn't always the easiest. I do my best to read everything and keep up, but technology changes so fast and there's so much to miss these days. If you need me to rebuild an MFM or IDE hard drive, I'm your woman... Delid a CPU? maybe not...

That being said, am I being an idiot about my voltages? Or does this look normal?

Annotation 2019-10-11 222001.jpg

I would try to keep voltages below 1.45v, and even then I wouldn’t run something like p95 for fear of insane current draw degrading things. For FAH I would honestly keep it to 1.42v ish, but for normal loads 1.45-1.46 can be doable (This is what I ran my 6700k for a long time)

Current LTT F@H Rank: 90    Score: 2,503,680,659    Stats

Yes, I have 9 monitors.

My main PC (Hybrid Windows 10/Arch Linux):

OS: Arch Linux w/ XFCE DE (VFIO-Patched Kernel) as host OS, windows 10 as guest

CPU: Ryzen 9 3900X w/PBO on (6c 12t for host, 6c 12t for guest)

Cooler: Noctua NH-D15

Mobo: Asus X470-F Gaming

RAM: 32GB G-Skill Ripjaws V @ 3200MHz (12GB for host, 20GB for guest)

GPU: Guest: EVGA RTX 3070 FTW3 ULTRA Host: 2x Radeon HD 8470

PSU: EVGA G2 650W

SSDs: Guest: Samsung 850 evo 120 GB, Samsung 860 evo 1TB Host: Samsung 970 evo 500GB NVME

HDD: Guest: WD Caviar Blue 1 TB

Case: Fractal Design Define R5 Black w/ Tempered Glass Side Panel Upgrade

Other: White LED strip to illuminate the interior. Extra fractal intake fan for positive pressure.

unRAID server (Plex, Windows 10 VM, NAS, Duplicati, game servers):

CPU: Ryzen R7 2700x @ Stock

Cooler: Noctua NH-U9S

Mobo: Asus Prime X470-Pro

RAM: 16GB G-Skill Ripjaws V + 16GB Hyperx Fury Black @ stock

GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 FTW2

PSU: EVGA G3 850W

SSD: Samsung 970 evo NVME 250GB, Samsung 860 evo SATA 1TB 

HDDs: 4x HGST Dekstar NAS 4TB @ 7200RPM (3 data, 1 parity)

Case: Sillverstone GD08B

Other: Added 3x Noctua NF-F12 intake, 2x Noctua NF-A8 exhaust, Inatek 5 port USB 3.0 expansion card with usb 3.0 front panel header

Details: 12GB ram, GTX 1080, USB card passed through to windows 10 VM. VM's OS drive is the SATA SSD. Rest of resources are for Plex, Duplicati, Spaghettidetective, Nextcloud, and game servers.

1 minute ago, Nathans nonsense said:

none of my WU's are showing up...i've done 7 in the last 10 hours but they're not here

Re-setup your identity and team information or uninstall FAH and reinstall it. I've had the client startup running default Anon for unknown reason before, can also check logs and look at the start of it for ID and team info.

1 minute ago, leadeater said:

Re-setup your identity and team information or uninstall FAH and reinstall it. I've had the client startup running default Anon for unknown reason before, can also check logs and look at the start of it for ID and team info.

image.png.d8ebbbe4775b19be5b535de5c66229d6.png

is this right?

Well guys, I haven't had a wink of sleep with the baby starting to teeth, but, were so God damn close!

497,711,129 over the last 24 hours. Just that tiny bit more people! Let's get that half billion day!!!

My Folding Stats - Join the fight against COVID-19 with FOLDING! - If someone has helped you out on the forum don't forget to give them a reaction to say thank you!

The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing. - Socrates

Please put as much effort into your question as you expect me to put into answering it. 

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
    Gigabyte Aorus GA-AX370-GAMING 5
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
    Cooler Master - MasterCase H500P
  • Storage
    Western Digital Black 250GB, Seagate BarraCuda 1TB x2
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
    Lenovo L29w-30 29 Inch UltraWide Full HD, BenQ - XL2430(portrait), Dell P2311Hb(portrait)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

1 hour ago, sazrocks said:

I would try to keep voltages below 1.45v, and even then I wouldn’t run something like p95 for fear of insane current draw degrading things. For FAH I would honestly keep it to 1.42v ish, but for normal loads 1.45-1.46 can be doable (This is what I ran my 6700k for a long time)

Well that was an interesting journey of discovery. Setting the voltage manually makes the system unstable and I can no longer see the VID voltages reported for some reason... And now under full load back in auto the VIDs are topping out at 1.400V and 1.502 at low to medium load and 0.757V at no load.

This makes me wish for the comm gear I worked on in the military. You tuned it to specific voltages and frequencies and it stayed where you freaking put it. Then you ran it 24/7 for years until it died and replaced it with the same thing tuned to identical specifications.

EDIT - I'm also not doing CPU folding so the load on the CPU is only like 30% tops.

Edited by azmariadei
forgot a small detail

9 minutes ago, azmariadei said:

Well that was an interesting journey of discovery. Setting the voltage manually makes the system unstable and I can no longer see the VID voltages reported for some reason... And now under full load back in auto the VIDs are topping out at 1.400V and 1.502 at low to medium load and 0.757V at no load.

This makes me wish for the comm gear I worked on in the military. You tuned it to specific voltages and frequencies and it stayed where you freaking put it. Then you ran it 24/7 for years until it died and replaced it with the same thing tuned to identical specifications.

EDIT - I'm also not doing CPU folding so the load on the CPU is only like 30% tops.

IIRC VID is just the voltage that the processor requests. Use Vcore for measuring actual voltage. This is also why it doesn't show when you manually set voltage, as the processor's request is just thrown out. 

As for the instability, did you apply LLC? You can get a decent about of Vdroop when stability testing, so you might want mediumish LLC

Current LTT F@H Rank: 90    Score: 2,503,680,659    Stats

Yes, I have 9 monitors.

My main PC (Hybrid Windows 10/Arch Linux):

OS: Arch Linux w/ XFCE DE (VFIO-Patched Kernel) as host OS, windows 10 as guest

CPU: Ryzen 9 3900X w/PBO on (6c 12t for host, 6c 12t for guest)

Cooler: Noctua NH-D15

Mobo: Asus X470-F Gaming

RAM: 32GB G-Skill Ripjaws V @ 3200MHz (12GB for host, 20GB for guest)

GPU: Guest: EVGA RTX 3070 FTW3 ULTRA Host: 2x Radeon HD 8470

PSU: EVGA G2 650W

SSDs: Guest: Samsung 850 evo 120 GB, Samsung 860 evo 1TB Host: Samsung 970 evo 500GB NVME

HDD: Guest: WD Caviar Blue 1 TB

Case: Fractal Design Define R5 Black w/ Tempered Glass Side Panel Upgrade

Other: White LED strip to illuminate the interior. Extra fractal intake fan for positive pressure.

unRAID server (Plex, Windows 10 VM, NAS, Duplicati, game servers):

CPU: Ryzen R7 2700x @ Stock

Cooler: Noctua NH-U9S

Mobo: Asus Prime X470-Pro

RAM: 16GB G-Skill Ripjaws V + 16GB Hyperx Fury Black @ stock

GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 FTW2

PSU: EVGA G3 850W

SSD: Samsung 970 evo NVME 250GB, Samsung 860 evo SATA 1TB 

HDDs: 4x HGST Dekstar NAS 4TB @ 7200RPM (3 data, 1 parity)

Case: Sillverstone GD08B

Other: Added 3x Noctua NF-F12 intake, 2x Noctua NF-A8 exhaust, Inatek 5 port USB 3.0 expansion card with usb 3.0 front panel header

Details: 12GB ram, GTX 1080, USB card passed through to windows 10 VM. VM's OS drive is the SATA SSD. Rest of resources are for Plex, Duplicati, Spaghettidetective, Nextcloud, and game servers.

2 minutes ago, sazrocks said:

IIRC VID is just the voltage that the processor requests. Use Vcore for measuring actual voltage. This is also why it doesn't show when you manually set voltage, as the processor's request is just thrown out. 

As for the instability, did you apply LLC? You can get a decent about of Vdroop when stability testing, so you might want mediumish LLC

LLC is all set to auto. VID is still coming up at 1.382V and holding stable. Everything has been running fine and stable for over a year now and made it just fine through not only this month's folding so far but last year's as well, but on air at these settings as well so I'm going to at least let it ride through to the end of the month for now. There are points to be had and i've seen far too many BSODs tonight for my liking.