Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
norsknoobing

My windows acts up

First move everything on second drive, then start worrying about suspicious files. You can run adwcleaner, but not heavy av scan. I bet it's just file remains after repairing drive. You can open this file in text editor and check header (first bytes). That will tell you what type of file is that. But anyway your drive is probably almost dead.

Posted · Original PosterOP

Hey. Recently my pc started stuttering and freezing. I check my Task Manager and the only thing at a high percentage was my F: disk. I cancelled my steam game download for said disk, but my pc still froze. When I restarted my pc and I didn't use that disk after I booted up, the pc acted normally. I restarted one more time and then windows started disk repair on that disk. After I got into windows itself I started moving files from the assumingly broken disk, when I saw a new file called "DUMP5ab2.tmp". Is this file anything to worry about? and if not should I just throw away the disk?

Posted · Best Answer

First move everything on second drive, then start worrying about suspicious files. You can run adwcleaner, but not heavy av scan. I bet it's just file remains after repairing drive. You can open this file in text editor and check header (first bytes). That will tell you what type of file is that. But anyway your drive is probably almost dead.

when windows crashes it creates DUMP files which looks like this is maybe what it is. It's probably nothing to be worried about, you can remove those files as windows doesn't use them for anything. From command prompt you can run chkdsk to check the disk for errors... it'll let you know if there are errors on the disk. If it finds errors you can add a "/f" after it to have it fix any errors.

-- runs chkdsk on F Drive
chkdsk :F

-- runs chkdsk and fixes any errors on F Drive
chkdsk :F /f