Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
VegetableStu

[mini] Samsung removes old ad because they removed the headphone jack on the Note 10...

42 minutes ago, Mooshi said:

For those that have the mentality of "Well *I* never used the headphone jack, I dunno what the big issue is?" Not everyone is you. Not everyone has a nice wireless set of phones. Not because they can't afford to, more often they already have a good set that doesn't need replacing. Saying it's okay to ditch the jack if you don't use it is 100% missing the point.

This is coming from someone that has a set of Audio Technica's ath-M50xBT. 

Most people don't fall into that grouping. For the vast majority of users, the lack of a headphone jack is irrelevant. Plus, those that do have headphones can still use them; even fewer ever need to charge and listen at the same time (and even those people can still do that).

The problem is that any time the headphone jack discussion comes up everyone goes on about how terrible it is for everyone, when the reality of the situation is that it's basically a non issue for all but a small group.

I'd also like a removable battery, but I'm not deluded enough to argue for its inclusion or to rant about its exclusion.

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

4 hours ago, 79wjd said:

The problem is that any time the headphone jack discussion comes up everyone goes on about how terrible it is for everyone, when the reality of the situation is that it's basically a non issue for all but a small group.

I'd also like a removable battery, but I'm not deluded enough to argue for its inclusion or to rant about its exclusion.

Except not everyone is "most people" and it is terrible for everyone. The note being the flagship phone for power users shouldn't be ditching a basic feature, and it simply looks stupid for the note10 to not have a headphone jack while the S10 does. It is very much like removable batteries, companies would rather save a few cents on build cost. These companies removing the headphone jack does nothing to benefit me even though I own wireless headphones.

3 hours ago, 79wjd said:

Most people don't fall into that grouping. For the vast majority of users, the lack of a headphone jack is irrelevant. Plus, those that do have headphones can still use them; even fewer ever need to charge and listen at the same time (and even those people can still do that).

Thing is, there's no advantage. This is taking away something that manufacturers make a huge deal over like it takes so much space when in reality it doesn't. Bluetooth sucks, there's no getting around that. So do adapters. 

SNOWHEART - laptop

Model: TRACER III 17R XTREME VR 800 || CPU: Intel i7-8750H  || RAM: HyperX Impact 16GB || GPU: Nvidia RTX 2070 || Storage: Intel 660P 512GB Display: 1920x1080p 144hz

PRISIMHEART 2.0 - desktop

Case: TT Core V1 || PSU: EVGA Supernova P2 750w || MB: Asrock Fata1ity AB350 Gaming-ITX/ac || CPU: AMD Ryzen R5 1600 || CPU Cooler: Cryorig H7 w/ FD Venturi fan || RAM: G.Skill Flare X 16GB || GPU: Galax GTX 1070 EXOC-SNPR || Storage: Samsung 860 Evo 1TB + Crucial MX500 1TB + SG Firecuda 2TB

PERIPHERALS / DISPLAY

Keyboard: Logitech G810 Orion Spectrum || Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum + Steelseries RIval 650 || Monitor: HP Omen 32

6 hours ago, Mooshi said:

For those that have the mentality of "Well *I* never used the headphone jack, I dunno what the big issue is?" Not everyone is you. Not everyone has a nice wireless set of phones. Not because they can't afford to, more often they already have a good set that doesn't need replacing. Saying it's okay to ditch the jack if you don't use it is 100% missing the point.

This is coming from someone that has a set of Audio Technica's ath-M50xBT. 

I don't think any reasonable person said it's "okay" to remove the jack... 

Moreso in how it's become such a common thing in the high end space to the point where it's almost expected. I don't like the move but it's unfortunate nonetheless at least in the high end space. 

Ironic as many of the upper end midrange phones end up being more "complete" as a result 

It's really just a cost cutting move alongside one that makes those silly earbuds more appealing. I don't know about you, but I still prefer my over-ears. Way more comfy for me. 

And please. Fix. The. Interference. Skipping. It's bloody annoying in how people boast on how great wireless is but either neglect or deflect the very real issue of interfering 2.4GHz waves affecting Bluetooth headphone performance (some even said that it's because I somehow use crappy equipment. Yeah, like 1000XM2s connected to a Note8 are "crappy"). 

Please tag me if you need assistance or if you want me to contribute to a topic 

ASUS RoG STRIX GL502VM

Intel Core i7 7700HQ | GeForce GTX 1060 6GB | 16GB DDR4-2133 | 128GB SanDisk M.2 SATA SSD + 1TB 7200RPM Hitachi HDD | 15.6" 1080p IPS monitor @ 60Hz w/ G-SYNC | Windows 10 64-bit

Samsung Galaxy Note8 SM-N950F

Exynos 8895 (4x Mongoose @ 2.3GHz, 4x Cortex A53 @ 1.7GHz)ARM Mali G71 MP20 | 6GB LPDDR4 | 64GB Samsung NAND flash w/ UFS 2.1 dual-lane controller + 128GB SanDisk C10 UHS-I microSD | 6.3" 1440p "Infinity Display" AMOLED | Android Nougat 7.1.1 w/ Samsung Experience 8.5

On 8/11/2019 at 10:52 PM, D13H4RD said:

Unfortunately, that's also not ideal. LG doesn't sell any of its phones over in my neck of the woods, and I know all too well to never buy a phone without a manufacturer's warranty (my dead G4 and Moto Z will attest to that). 

And while the RoG Phone 2 looks beefy, it also looks way too gaudy for me to use it day to day (fucking please, make something similar but in a shell much less gaudy). Which effectively leaves me with just one high-end jacked option, the Redmi K20 Pro. 

Which unfortunately leaves me with 2 options if the Redmi doesn't do it for me (I doubt it won't but there's that possibility). Either try (again) to live in the jackless life (tried with the Moto Z. Hated it although that was before I got wireless cans) or step down to the upper-midrange (which I've done with the Redmi Note 7 and I honestly didn't mind). 

And I don't think people are amused over the jack's removal. They seem to be more amused over how people put Samsung on a pedastal and even praise them like a holy figure for keeping the headphone jack all this while, all while seemingly not realizing that Samsung, like Apple, OnePlus, Huawei and most companies that have removed the headphone jack, are mega-corporations who wouldn't mind making a few people angsty if it means they can sell more wireless buds to regular consumers who want nothing but "muh convenience". 

I wasn't aware of that, LG must not have much of a market to not sell their phones there. LG phones aren't very popular in the US except for the lower to midrange phones, i've heard mixed things on the LG UI but the DAC's in their flagships are apparently really nice.

The RoG Phone 2 has the specs I like, there doesn't seem to be a case that hides the gamer-y LED's on the back, though phones with a glossy shiny back aren't much better imo.

I agree with you and it's dumb to put any company on a pedestal as if they can save $1 on not adding a headphone jack and charge you $150 for earbuds they will. The galaxy buds are convenient enough I guess,and if needed they can be charged from the phone but having a headphone jack is more convenient than needing adapters or dongles to charge while using wired headphones.

9 hours ago, Mooshi said:

Thing is, there's no advantage. This is taking away something that manufacturers make a huge deal over like it takes so much space when in reality it doesn't. Bluetooth sucks, there's no getting around that. So do adapters. 

It's all about nickel and diming. When I was in an appliance store, it was obvious every company was taking out features people used, to save money, and fit in the next "big thing" to drive easily duped consumers into buying lemons.

As I'm destroying 3.5mm jacks every month or two, I wonder if usb-c plug would add another part that is likely to break, or solve the problem of shitty connectors. the best option is both, like Sony Ericsson W995 that had proprietary Sony connector where you could connect jack dongle as well as normal 3.5mm jack port.

No headphone jack creates demand for wireless headphones, samsung now have galaxy buds on the market so why include a headphone jack when they can push the sales of their wireless earbuds. Same reason Apple and every other company did it

CPU - Ryzen 5 2600 / Motherboard - MSI B450 Gaming Pro Carbon AC / RAM - Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB 8x2 @ 3200MHz / GPU - Saphire Nitro+ Vega 64 / PSU - Corsair RMx750 / Storage - 500gb Samsung 860 Evo SSD + 2TB Seagate Barracuda / Case - Phanteks P600s / Monitor - Samsung 32" CJG5 1440P 144Hz Keyboard - Razer Ornata / Mouse - Razer Naga Trinity / Headphones - HyperX Cloud 2 (PC) Airpods (Phone) / Speakers - Logitech Z337 / Phone - iPhone XS Max

21 minutes ago, Loote said:

As I'm destroying 3.5mm jacks every month or two, I wonder if usb-c plug would add another part that is likely to break, or solve the problem of shitty connectors. the best option is both, like Sony Ericsson W995 that had proprietary Sony connector where you could connect jack dongle as well as normal 3.5mm jack port.

Afraid to say but I think the issue might be you abusing those ports if you are breaking them so often, I have phones that are 8 years old and all ports still work perfectly. That old proprietary sony connector was the definition of terrible design, we need usb c or some other standard that is used universally with all other tech products

CPU - Ryzen 5 2600 / Motherboard - MSI B450 Gaming Pro Carbon AC / RAM - Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB 8x2 @ 3200MHz / GPU - Saphire Nitro+ Vega 64 / PSU - Corsair RMx750 / Storage - 500gb Samsung 860 Evo SSD + 2TB Seagate Barracuda / Case - Phanteks P600s / Monitor - Samsung 32" CJG5 1440P 144Hz Keyboard - Razer Ornata / Mouse - Razer Naga Trinity / Headphones - HyperX Cloud 2 (PC) Airpods (Phone) / Speakers - Logitech Z337 / Phone - iPhone XS Max

5 hours ago, Blademaster91 said:

I wasn't aware of that, LG must not have much of a market to not sell their phones there. LG phones aren't very popular in the US except for the lower to midrange phones, i've heard mixed things on the LG UI but the DAC's in their flagships are apparently really nice.

LG is making pretty good phones but they just don't sell. After my G4 burned me twice due to its now-infamous bootlooping and my Moto Z giving me electrical shocks from time to time, I swore to always buy a phone with a manufacturer's warranty. Sadly, LG pulled out of the market over here, meaning that if I want an LG, the only way is to import it, and I'd rather not do that again lest I want to get hosed thrice.

5 hours ago, Blademaster91 said:

The galaxy buds are convenient enough I guess,and if needed they can be charged from the phone but having a headphone jack is more convenient than needing adapters or dongles to charge while using wired headphones.

The thing is that many of the "normal" people out there are not aware of the headphone jack and its pros, or just don't care. They just see a pair of silly-looking wireless earbuds and think "WOW, that's cool!". And that's despite wireless headphones existing for quite some time already, just that we've only recently got the wireless earbuds design in any form of ubiquity.

Personally, I hate those earbuds. Not for what they did but just due to my hatred for the buds design themselves. I've never been able to find one that I can wear comfortably for more than a few minutes at a time. For me, it's over-ear or nothing.

ASUS RoG STRIX GL502VM

Intel Core i7 7700HQ | GeForce GTX 1060 6GB | 16GB DDR4-2133 | 128GB SanDisk M.2 SATA SSD + 1TB 7200RPM Hitachi HDD | 15.6" 1080p IPS monitor @ 60Hz w/ G-SYNC | Windows 10 64-bit

Exynos 8895 (4x Mongoose @ 2.3GHz, 4x Cortex A53 @ 1.7GHz)ARM Mali G71 MP20 | 6GB LPDDR4 | 64GB Samsung NAND flash w/ UFS 2.1 dual-lane controller + 128GB SanDisk C10 UHS-I microSD | 6.3" 1440p "Infinity Display" AMOLED | Android Nougat 7.1.1 w/ Samsung Experience 8.5

17 hours ago, Radioactive Snowman said:

Afraid to say but I think the issue might be you abusing those ports if you are breaking them so often, I have phones that are 8 years old and all ports still work perfectly. That old proprietary sony connector was the definition of terrible design, we need usb c or some other standard that is used universally with all other tech products

I worded that poorly:

-It's cables, not ports,

-You won't damage it if you're not using it... I'm often running with a phone in my pocket connected to the headphones, every weekday I'm riding my bike with a phone mounted on the handlebar and my front wheel has 130 psi, but my glass phone lives and cables die one after another. I've 6.3mm jack in my headphones and it never broke, outliving tens of 3.5->3.5 extensions and 3.5->6.3 adapters, my current dream device is a portable amp with 6.3mm port and USB-C connection to the phone(or wireless, whatever), but somehow 6.3 mm is not used in mobile.

I've only broken the port on one cheap MP4 when I didn't use extension(6.3mm jack + adapter are ~10 cm long, so it's easy to break the insides of the device that way) and some old Nokia which, contrary to popular belief, was much lower quality than cheapest Xiaomi today.

18 hours ago, Loote said:

. the best option is both, like Sony Ericsson W995 that had proprietary Sony connector where you could connect jack dongle as well as normal 3.5mm jack port.

Don''t remind me of this large proprietary connector on the W890i. I hated the dongle life. I forgot the adaptor countless times at home leaving me without music on a walkman.

Here's my ~2 cents:

- The mainstream is embracing wireless headphones fully. The vocal minority of audiophiles can rant all day about the disappearing headphone jack but it won't change the fact that wireless audio is taking over. If you can afford a $1000 phones you can definetely afford $350 wireless ANC headphones to go with it. I know it's a dumb argument and you don't have to agree with me. I'm just a broke lad using an iPhone 7 with a dongle LOL. I'm OK with having a dongle. 

- The more worrying concern is if the battery is glued-on. Jerryrigeverything did a tear-down on the Samsung A50 and noticed that the battery was glued-on to the phone structure as opposed to being taped on with easily removable tabs. This makes phone repair difficult and dangerous. Just imagine not being able to replace your dying phone battery after 2~3 years. Will you be satisfied with your phone purchase? And it's absurd to think that an outdated iPhone 7 will outlive this unreleased Samsung Note 10 because of the battery.

1 hour ago, kokakolia said:

The more worrying concern is if the battery is glued-on. Jerryrigeverything did a tear-down on the Samsung A50 and noticed that the battery was glued-on to the phone structure as opposed to being taped on with easily removable tabs. This makes phone repair difficult and dangerous. Just imagine not being able to replace your dying phone battery after 2~3 years. Will you be satisfied with your phone purchase? And it's absurd to think that an outdated iPhone 7 will outlive this unreleased Samsung Note 10 because of the battery.

Someone will find a way to remove the glued battery, but it won't be easy at all (duh) and might mean that once removed, the original battery may not be usable anymore. 

ASUS RoG STRIX GL502VM

2 hours ago, kokakolia said:

wireless audio is taking over

With batteries glued to your headphones! There's just plenty of room for new sales in wireless department and they're more expensive, so of course it's awesome.

I wish I could afford wireless headphones, my HD555 cost me $35, I have a sound card with an AMP and a FiiO E7, I just do, now if I wanted similar quality from wireless headphones today, I have either $300+ ones that are different in a way I don't like, or a pair clearly better than my current equipment, but way too expensive.

I hope wireless audio will be a good alternative, but won't push 'normal' config into obscurity, right now I can have 1 good DAC, 1 good AMP and several headphone models with different characteristics, if you add battery and integrated dac+amp into every pair, their cost multiples(or quality degrades).