Liquid Cooler for Threadripper

I currently have a Noctua air cooler for my TR 1950x, but I'm considering switching to a liquid cooler to remove the bulkiness. I have looked through some threads where people recommend the Enermax coolers, but so many reviews indicate that corrosion occurs often within the pumps. Not sure where to look, so can I get some input from anybody who is using a liquid cooler for the threadrippers?

Stay away from Enermax. I've been through at least 4 of them and multiple RMAs.

I have the Cooler Master ML360 TR4 and it's been fine. Just be careful mounting it as it's a bit fragile.

32 minutes ago, Den-Fi said:

I have the Cooler Master ML360 TR4 and it's been fine. Just be careful mounting it as it's a bit fragile.

Looks like the plastic mounts break very easily though. How did you manage?

Just now, knoyue said:

Looks like the plastic mounts break very easily though. How did you manage?

Knowing that beforehand, I just used a bit of caution. Nothing appeared to be overly fragile.

20 hours ago, Den-Fi said:

What temps does it run for you ?

I mean if you have a Noctua U14 TR4 you have the best TR4 cooler out there besides maybe a BeQuiet Dark Rock TR4.  As a 2950X owner and someone who has gone through a Kraken X52 AIO, Enermax Liqtech II 240 TR4, Noctua U9 TR4, and now a custom loop on a measly EK SE240 slim 27mm radiator, hands down the best of those was the custom loop.

So Asetek AIO don't cover the full chip by any means but handful of tests show if you are at least using a 280 AIO (preferably 360) if can handle any X chip within reason.  If your case can fit then the U14 TR4 and Dark Rock TR4 are no brainers however they are quite bit and can come into conflict with other parts of your PC.  I would avoid the Enermax Liqtech II TR4, I had it for two weeks and for the first week or so it was great but at the two week mark corrosion and temp spikes happened.  By far the most expensive option  but also the best performing is doing a custom loop.   

16 Core 18L Custom Loop ThreadRipper Build

SFF Time N-ATX V2 - Gigabyte X570 I Aorus Pro WIFI - AMD Ryzen 9 5800X3D - Gigabyte Gaming OC RTX 4090 - LG C2 OLED 42" 

On 8/9/2019 at 4:18 PM, Jrasero said:

I mean if you have a Noctua U14 TR4 you have the best TR4 cooler out there besides maybe a BeQuiet Dark Rock TR4.  As a 2950X owner and someone who has gone through a Kraken X52 AIO, Enermax Liqtech II 240 TR4, Noctua U9 TR4, and now a custom loop on a measly EK SE240 slim 27mm radiator, hands down the best of those was the custom loop.

So Asetek AIO don't cover the full chip by any means but handful of tests show if you are at least using a 280 AIO (preferably 360) if can handle any X chip within reason.  If your case can fit then the U14 TR4 and Dark Rock TR4 are no brainers however they are quite bit and can come into conflict with other parts of your PC.  I would avoid the Enermax Liqtech II TR4, I had it for two weeks and for the first week or so it was great but at the two week mark corrosion and temp spikes happened.  By far the most expensive option  but also the best performing is doing a custom loop.   

16 Core 18L Custom Loop ThreadRipper Build

I would love to do a custom loop, but without any experience doing any intricate water-cooling I'm afraid I'll bust my motherboard with leakage. It's a shame that there are no easy water-cooling aio methods for people like me out in the pc part marketplace. I was also looking at the corsair H115i platinum that claim it fits a TR4 socket. Whats your input on that? 

8 hours ago, knoyue said:

I would love to do a custom loop, but without any experience doing any intricate water-cooling I'm afraid I'll bust my motherboard with leakage. It's a shame that there are no easy water-cooling aio methods for people like me out in the pc part marketplace. I was also looking at the corsair H115i platinum that claim it fits a TR4 socket. Whats your input on that? 

I will admit that the fear of a leak from a self bit loop is present for me but on the other hand in my case there weren't any options for my Sliger Cerberus.  The H115i is not full coverage and will require a separate adapter.

Honestly a large air cooler would be better   

SFF Time N-ATX V2 - Gigabyte X570 I Aorus Pro WIFI - AMD Ryzen 9 5800X3D - Gigabyte Gaming OC RTX 4090 - LG C2 OLED 42" 

On 8/11/2019 at 9:38 AM, knoyue said:

The Corsair H115i Platinum is Threadripper compatible out of the box.  We include the necessary sTR4 bracket with the pump so nothing else is needed, you can mount it to your existing motherboard.  Leaks are very very uncommon with our coolers, but should a leak occur, the coolers come with a 5-year warranty with current policies in place to help assist the customer.  Let me know if you have any questions about the cooler.

Looking for more details about a product, or experiencing technical issues?  Visit our support page below, and one of our Technical Support staff can help you out:

https://support.corsair.com/

On 8/11/2019 at 6:38 PM, knoyue said:

Just to put in my two cents as someone with a clc tr4 build, the only time I've ever had a leak in any of my clc builds had been when I cross threaded a fitting into an ek acrylic block but I immediately felt the cross threading and I decided to try it out anyways after threading it correctly. Long story short I ended up getting a copper/nickle block top and I've never had any issues in this department since with soft tubing.

On 8/8/2019 at 8:49 AM, knoyue said:

I currently have a Noctua air cooler for my TR 1950x, but I'm considering switching to a liquid cooler to remove the bulkiness. I have looked through some threads where people recommend the Enermax coolers, but so many reviews indicate that corrosion occurs often within the pumps. Not sure where to look, so can I get some input from anybody who is using a liquid cooler for the threadrippers?

Custom is the only way to go :)  This is my work on my buddies 2950x.

20190516_161036.jpg

R7 5800x -:- Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming -:- EVGA FTW3 Ultra RTX3080 -:- EVGA 850 GA -:- 32GB G.Skill TridentZ Neo  -:- Asus TUF GT501