Intel gets EPYC-ally annihilated - Benchmarks & Testing (2x 64 "ROME" cores)

Belgarathian
13 hours ago, huilun02 said:

127 gamers, 1 CPU

I think we'd be hitting up against a LOT of limitations. 64 gamers 1 cpu is probably pushing the max realms of feasibility.

Plus I'm sure the other companies don't wanna go through that hell again.

PLEASE QUOTE ME IF YOU ARE REPLYING TO ME

Desktop Build: Ryzen 7 2700X @ 4.0GHz, AsRock Fatal1ty X370 Professional Gaming, 48GB Corsair DDR4 @ 3000MHz, RX5700 XT 8GB Sapphire Nitro+, Benq XL2730 1440p 144Hz FS

Retro Build: Intel Pentium III @ 500 MHz, Dell Optiplex G1 Full AT Tower, 768MB SDRAM @ 133MHz, Integrated Graphics, Generic 1024x768 60Hz Monitor

Fingers crossed this will be fast enough, might have to dual socket and overclock it

You're asking if I need it? Hell no. But Cinebench records ain't gonna set themselves!

QUOTE ME IF YOU WANT A REPLY!

PC #1

Ryzen 7 3700x@4.4ghz (All core) | MSI X470 Gaming Pro Carbon | Crucial Ballistix 2x16gb (OC 3600mhz)

MSI GTX 1080 8gb | SoundBlaster ZXR | Corsair HX850

Samsung 960 256gb | Samsung 860 1gb | Samsung 850 500gb

HGST 4tb, HGST 2tb | Seagate 2tb | Seagate 2tb

Custom CPU/GPU water loop

PC #2

Ryzen 7 1700@3.8ghz (All core) | Aorus AX370 Gaming K5 | Vengeance LED 3200mhz 2x8gb

Sapphire R9 290x 4gb | Asus Xonar DS | Corsair RM650

Samsung 850 128gb | Intel 240gb | Seagate 2tb

Corsair H80iGT AIO

Laptop

Core i7 6700HQ | Samsung 2400mhz 2x8gb DDR4

GTX 1060M 3gb | FiiO E10k DAC

Samsung 950 256gb | Sandisk Ultra 2tb SSD

5 hours ago, rcmaehl said:

I think we'd be hitting up against a LOT of limitations. 64 gamers 1 cpu is probably pushing the max realms of feasibility.

LET THEM GO THROUGH HELL

✨FNIGE✨

16 hours ago, rcmaehl said:

Spoilsport!

Spoiler

PSU: Cooler Master V1200 Platinum / MB: Asus ROG Strix X570-E Gaming / CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700x / RAM: G.Skill Trident Z Neo 32GB (2x16GB) / GPU: Gigabyte GeForce RTX 3090 Gaming OC 24GB / OS: Windows 11 / Screen: Samsung CRG9 (5120 x 1440) / Case: DIY Bench built custom into a a cabinet / Case Fans: 4x BeQuiet Magicool 140mm Pure Wings / Rad: Magicool 180 Triple / Pump: Aquastream XT / Res: Aquacomputer aqualis PRO 450ml / CPU Block: EK Supremacy Clear Acetal / GPU Blocks: Bykski N-GV1080TIG1-X with VRAM Cooling via B-3090TC-X Water Block

20 hours ago, cj09beira said:

the dell relationship from what i saw seemed pretty flimsy 

zen 3's design is complete, zen 4 on track yesterday was a good day for amd 

Dell and HPE will be slow with AMD. They're so tied to Intel they can't really rock the boat.

However, former AMD CEO Rory Reed just happens to be really high up in Dell right now. So the relationship has improved. 

19 hours ago, pas008 said:

didnt intel just announce copper lake with 56 cores? 2 days ago?

they did, but its still to be seen if it will be used, it has a really high tdp for what it is, though it should be more flexible than the older soldered 56 core cpu as that one was sold to oems as a complete cpu+motherboard kit so there was less choice in where and how to use it.

also did they said when you could actually buy it?

18 hours ago, rcmaehl said:

64 gamers one cpu would actually be a single cpu which is much better than using 2 socket system 

40 minutes ago, cj09beira said:

they did, but its still to be seen if it will be used, it has a really high tdp for what it is, though it should be more flexible than the older soldered 56 core cpu as that one was sold to oems as a complete cpu+motherboard kit so there was less choice in where and how to use it.

also did they said when you could actually buy it?

i dont know just seen it in some news thing and seen it wasnt soldered too

i'm sure around same time these epyc cpus but prolly for 20times the price but price really isnt the concern in that area of the market

8 hours ago, pas008 said:

i dont know just seen it in some news thing and seen it wasnt soldered too

i'm sure around same time these epyc cpus but prolly for 20times the price but price really isnt the concern in that area of the market

The Cascade Lake-AP being soldered is about them not being a socketed CPU and BGA-5903, CPU is soldered to the motherboard. You can't just buy those CPUs or select them as an option for a typical server, you have to purchase a specific server made for those limiting your options. 

Can't wait to see the threadripper now. 

Specs: Motherboard: Asus X470-PLUS TUF gaming (Yes I know it's poor but I wasn't informed) RAM: Corsair VENGEANCE® LPX DDR4 3200Mhz CL16-18-18-36 2x8GB

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900X          Case: Antec P8     PSU: Corsair RM850x                        Cooler: Antec K240 with two Noctura Industrial PPC 3000 PWM

Drives: Samsung 970 EVO plus 250GB, Micron 1100 2TB, Seagate ST4000DM000/1F2168 GPU: EVGA RTX 2080 ti Black edition

5 hours ago, williamcll said:

Can't wait to see the threadripper now. 

I've got my wallet ready for ordering...

So how many weeks before all Ryzen sales are too high and supply runs dry? 

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

1 hour ago, BiG StroOnZ said:

Spoiler

bwur0drx1of31.png.b4883ca69528b12f844a35fc3132d7ee.png

Will this chart from Phoronix emphasizes it even more xP

embed.php?i=1908072-AS-EPYC7472R73&sha=9

And dang if I was the guy buying AMD stock today 4 years ago, every dollar I invested would have multiplied 17 times (i.e. $20 worth of stock then is now $170)! ?

Intel, Nvidia, and Microsoft for comparison (to be updated later today)

Spoiler

AMD:

Intel:

Nvidia:

Microsoft:

LOL as I expected AMD's marketing is going to take advantage of the continuous stream of security vulnerabilities that Intel Xeons have been found to be vulnerable to. Without directly calling Intel out they are harping on security more than the performance wins.

?

lots of stuff such as below on their website.

48510133616_d99649f7d4_o.png

see more at...

https://www.amd.com/en/processors/epyc-7002-series

On 8/8/2019 at 5:36 AM, Sauron said:

The CTOs of both Dell and HP were at the presentation pushing Epyc :P they aren't stupid and you'd have to be stupid to get a high end xeon right now.

On 8/8/2019 at 5:40 AM, leadeater said:

Depends, there are a lot of cases where'd you have to while you wait/plan for a more major upgrade. If we wanted to add 2-4 servers to our ESXi cluster EPYC isn't an option. If we are going to replace 20+ then EPYC is an option.

Not to mention that while Zen2 Epyc is definitely a fantastic release, no product is ever a one-size-fits-all solution.

On that note, while I'm not surprised to see AMD release a great CPU, I am a little surprised to see Intel giving up ground so readily.  Hopefully we don't see them fall back on their old practices, of trying to trip up AMD through nefarious means.

6 hours ago, Jito463 said:

, I am a little surprised to see Intel giving up ground so readily.

I don't think they are doing it intentionally.  Just like with Ryzen's initial launch, if they had something to counter up their sleeve they would. 

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

On 8/10/2019 at 7:44 PM, VegetableStu said:

i did some thinking... (uh oh)

there're 8c16T parts like the EPYC 7232P. there's also a single 12c24T part that's the EPYC 7272

i kinda want to see the 7232P delidded o_o there has to be only one CCD die in there

(also the possibilities of core counts on TR3K are not limited to CCD groups of 4 now.)

they are probably at least 2 ccds on there, what is the cache of the cpu as that would be the best indicator 

2 hours ago, VegetableStu said:

doesn't say on wikipedia o_o let me check AMD...

EDIT: even AMD's site doesn't specify L2 cache total ._.

EDITx2: wikichip says 512 kb per core, which doesn't say much either. if there're two CCDs would the cache be fused off along with the disabled cores? o_o

Use the L3 cache to get the number of CCDs, each CCD has 32MB cache so that is your boundary point for another CCD. Even if some L3 cache is disabled a SKU with more than 32MB but less than 65MB will have 2 CCDs etc.

EPYC 7232P: 8 cores 32MB L3 Cache - 1 CCD

EPYC 7252: 8 cores 64MB L3 Cache - 2 CCD

EPYC 7262: 8 cores 128MB L3 Cache - 4 CCD

EPYC 7552: 48 cores 192MB L3 Cache - 6 CCD

From what I can see there are SKUs with 1, 2, 4, 6 and 8 CCDs

Edit:

Also yes the L2 cache is exclusive per core so if you disable a core the L2 cache for it is also disabled.

7252:

image.png.d321865d3a64a1b0807a4ff68d5afa88.png

7262:

image.png.48208366a9731a039af2f64efb889ccb.png

3 hours ago, VegetableStu said:

oh so that's what's going on? o_o Was wondering why a few of them had differing L3 cache withing the same core count o_o

EDIT: also wow they have CCDs with only 2 cores active o_o kinda wonder if they did this on purpose on the lower end of the chips that had yields better than 2 cores, or there are 2 core yields in the first place

I guess it depends how "cheap" things get. You could still have a seperate wafer design, but just mask/miss out the extra cores, then put them all in the/on the same substrates/backing chips (we only see the stuff the chips are glued to, the die is under that black stuff, what's it again?).

But I've no idea if that's what AMD are doing or not. If they are running 1 fab with 1 design and just cutting it up, or running with 2 or 3 skus?

PS, also no idea if they do it, but it crossed my mind on if you could recover the outer edge chips too from a wafer this way, turning them into 1 and 2 core chips.

5 hours ago, Schnoz said:

Caffeine. Lots and lots of caffeine.

.....and let's not forget a carton or two of Red Bull!?

Main Rig: AMD AM4 R9 5900X (12C/24T) + Tt Water 3.0 ARGB 360 AIO | Gigabyte X570 Aorus Xtreme | 2x 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3600C16 | XFX MERC 310 RX 7900 XTX | 256GB Sabrent Rocket NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen 3.0 (OS) | 4TB Lexar NM790 NVMe M.2 PCIe4x4 | 2TB TG Cardea Zero Z440 NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen4x4 | 4TB Samsung 860 EVO SATA SSD | 2TB Samsung 860 QVO SATA SSD | 6TB WD Black HDD | CoolerMaster H500M | Corsair HX1000 Platinum | Topre Type Heaven + Seenda Ergonomic W/L Vertical Mouse + 8BitDo Ultimate 2.4G | iFi Micro iDSD Black Label | Philips Fidelio B97 | C49HG90DME 49" 32:9 144Hz Freesync 2 | Omnidesk Pro 2020 48" | 64bit Win11 Pro 23H2

2nd Rig: AMD AM4 R9 3900X + TR PA 120 SE | Gigabyte X570S Aorus Elite AX | 2x 16GB Patriot Viper Elite II DDR4 4000MHz | Sapphire Nitro+ RX 6900 XT | 500GB Crucial P2 Plus NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen 4.0 (OS)2TB Adata Legend 850 NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen4x4 |  2TB Kingston NV2 NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen4x4 | 4TB Leven JS600 SATA SSD | 2TB Seagate HDD | Keychron K2 + Logitech G703 | SOLDAM XR-1 Black Knight | Enermax MAXREVO 1500 | 64bit Win11 Pro 23H2

9 hours ago, VegetableStu said:

oh so that's what's going on? o_o Was wondering why a few of them had differing L3 cache withing the same core count o_o

EDIT: also wow they have CCDs with only 2 cores active o_o kinda wonder if they did this on purpose on the lower end of the chips that had yields better than 2 cores, or there are 2 core yields in the first place

It should be intentional to increase the L3 cache amount on SKUs they want a higher performance or target a workload that benefits from it. The large L3 caches in EPYC2 really helps cut down on certain latencies from not having to go to system memory.

2 hours ago, GamerDude said:

.....and let's not forget a carton or two of Red Bull!?

I want speed, not wiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiings

✨FNIGE✨