Google has just ruined Google Images.

Princess Luna
Go to solution Solved by Princess Luna,

For anyone wondering, it took a while this time but here it is the extension to revive the old UI/Layout:

https://chromeunboxed.com/new-google-images-how-to-restore-old-layout/

So any one who still wants it back can now get it on Chrome and Firefox, cheers!

23 hours ago, Origami Cactus said:

As far as i can see you can't view a photo fullscreen anymore. So you now need to right click on the photo, "open in new tab", and then click "shift+tab" to navigate to that tab. More annoying than just clicking on the photo once.

You haven't been able to do that for a while now if I recall. Ever since Google cracked down on photo stealing you have had to right click "open in new window".

1 minute ago, jdubya421 said:

You haven't been able to do that for a while now if I recall. Ever since Google cracked down on photo stealing you have had to right click "open in new window".

Nah, that update never happened to me for some reason...

I only see your reply if you @ me.

This reply/comment was generated by AI.

3 minutes ago, jdubya421 said:

The "View Image" functionality? while Google had it removed last year there was a ton of extensions for both Chrome and Firefox that got it back working from day one, it really wasn't as much of a hassle than the current matter:

image.png.52adbd782a333dec31794b6b51b253c6.png

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

I think I get what they are trying to do.
They are trying to make it so you can still browse while having the 'larger image' around. and fix any weird "jumping" issues that happen when you go from a very large image, to a very small one. (Which I should note: DuckDuckGo, seemed to have solved without issue)

And I do think what they are "trying" to do is good. But the implementation is absolutely terrible.
The image isn't exactly that much zoomed in, and it causes issues with trying to find other images as the results need to wrap.

23 hours ago, rcmaehl said:

Top is blasphemy unless it's integrated into the title bar like Mac/Linux does

Excuse you, I like my top taskbar.
I don't need to constantly move my mouse to opposite sides of the screen just to change tabs, then change which window or program is in focus.

Welp. I think it sucks. They probably won't revert it either. Whaddya gonna do. :|

Main Rig: Ryzen 7 5800x | Noctua NHD-15 | Radeon RX 6800 | 16GB G.SKILL Trident Z | Gigabyte X570 Aorus Elite |
Laptop: Thinkpad T14 Gen 3 | Ryzen 5 Pro 6650U

I actually don't mind this at all, what's the problem here?

17 hours ago, Princess Luna said:

The "View Image" functionality? while Google had it removed last year there was a ton of extensions for both Chrome and Firefox that got it back working from day one, it really wasn't as much of a hassle than the current matter

Now THIS change fucking bothered me, this extension will save my life.

MOAR COARS: 5GHz "Confirmed" Black Edition™ The Build
AMD 5950X 4.7/4.6GHz All Core Dynamic OC + 1900MHz FCLK | 5GHz+ PBO | ASUS X570 Dark Hero | 32 GB 3800MHz 14-15-15-30-48-1T GDM 8GBx4 |  PowerColor AMD Radeon 6900 XT Liquid Devil @ 2700MHz Core + 2130MHz Mem | 2x 480mm Rad | 8x Blacknoise Noiseblocker NB-eLoop B12-PS Black Edition 120mm PWM | Thermaltake Core P5 TG Ti + Additional 3D Printed Rad Mount

On 8/7/2019 at 10:21 AM, Princess Luna said:

lots of users have been criticizing this change as it makes using Google Images an worse experience from the previous UI design

Is that even possible?

On 8/7/2019 at 10:21 AM, Princess Luna said:

with many claiming Google should revert this change or allow the user to opt for which way they prefer.

I would have nothing against that, but I definitely would never use the previous, clumsy, space- and time-wasting UI. I find the new one infinitely more practical.

On 8/7/2019 at 9:38 AM, Origami Cactus said:

As far as i can see you can't view a photo fullscreen anymore.

right click an image, then middle click "view imaage"

On 8/8/2019 at 10:38 AM, Bananasplit_00 said:

Well, have fun people still using Google search.

I still use it for updating my (ever-growing) music collection.  A reverse image search is so convenient if you have a 300x300 piece of album art and want to get a larger one.  Typing in the name of the artist and album doesn't always yield the same results, or even good ones for that matter.

As much as I like DDG, this is the one thing that Google really does better than anyone else IMO. It's just such a shame that they're so horrid when it comes to privacy that I feel the need to have a VM with a VPN and Mac spoofing just for doing those searches.

I don’t understand the mindset you would have to have I order to have a strong opinion either way. It’s functionally the same, it just looks slightly different. 

That being said, I use Bing so this doesn’t change anything for me. 

Laptop: 2019 16" MacBook Pro i7, 512GB, 5300M 4GB, 16GB DDR4 | Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB | Wearables: Apple Watch SE | Car: 2007 Ford Taurus SE | CPU: R7 5700X | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 32GB 3200 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 11 | Storage: 1TB Crucial P3 NVME SSD, 1TB PNY CS900, & 4TB WD Blue HDD | PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W | Display: LG 27GL83A-B 1440p @ 144Hz, Dell S2719DGF 1440p @144Hz | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G305 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball | Server: 2018 Core i3 Mac mini, 128GB SSD, Intel UHD 630, 16GB DDR4 | Storage: OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad (6TB WD Blue HDD, 12TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB Crucial SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD)

I like the new design. It looks more complete with additional information whereas on DDG it's black with a picture plus a line of text; lots of wasted space. Hopefully they add an option for this like the Day/Night themes. 

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K

CPU Cooler: be quiet! - PURE ROCK 
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 
Motherboard: ASRock Z370 Extreme4
Memory: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 2x8GB 3200/14
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive 
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
Storage: Western Digital - BLACK SERIES 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: EVGA - 970 SSC ACX (1080 is in RMA)
Case: Fractal Design - Define R5 w/Window (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA P2 750W with CableMod blue/black Pro Series
Optical Drive: LG - WH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer 
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit and Linux Mint Serena
Keyboard: Logitech - G910 Orion Spectrum RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech - G502 Wired Optical Mouse
Headphones: Logitech - G430 7.1 Channel  Headset
Speakers: Logitech - Z506 155W 5.1ch Speakers

44 minutes ago, Captain Chaos said:

I still use it for updating my (ever-growing) music collection.  A reverse image search is so convenient if you have a 300x300 piece of album art and want to get a larger one. 

As much as I like DDG, this is the one thing that Google really does better than anyone else IMO. It's just such a shame that they're so horrid when it comes to privacy that I feel the need to have a VM with a VPN and Mac spoofing just for doing those searches.

Bing, Yandex and Tineye do reverse image searching. I always try TinEye first and then Bing/Yandex. I'm staying the fuck away from Google and I'm only gonna use it if no one else finds me anything useful. But in general, I get most of stuff from the Duck. People always say how X doesn't find Y, but I use DDG in 99,99% of cases and with success. I have to really look for something super weird for Duck not being able to find it.

16 minutes ago, RejZoR said:

but I use DDG in 99,99% of cases and with success.

Oh yeah, absolutely.  I use DDG almost exclusively and find that I get better results than with Google.  It's just that very specific case where I want those huge album art images where I find Google more useful than DDG.

I'd never use Bing, not even with all the security measures I take when using Google.  Yandex is an option though.

On 8/7/2019 at 1:22 PM, schwellmo92 said:

Why so much backlash? It is functionally better. Some people just don’t like any change at all.

While I agree with you on many levels. I disagree also. You don't get a larger more detailed view of an image causing you to open a webpage when you may not want to. What if we are just looking a pictures, and we don't give two craps about the details (ingredients, parts, steps, etc.) Sometimes, yes we need to to accept things as they are, but when you are as big and as used as google (like the two hundred pound $20 hooker), you need to give people choices. My issue with it as well is that it changes the order of photos so you lose your spot VERY quickly. You have to look for the photo in the lineup after clicking on it. When you exit out of it, you then lose your place again. God D@mn it google!

Instructions for frustration management:  

1) Sit at desk.   2) Repeatedly slam forehead against desk.

I never said I was smart, just smart enough to be dangerous.

ORLY?

……..'|:::::::,': : : : : : :_„„-: : : : : : : : ~--„_: |'
………|::::::|: : : „--~~'''~~''''''''-„…_..„~''''''''''''¯|
………|:::::,':_„„-|: : :_„---~: : :|''¯¯''''|: ~---„_: ||
……..,~-,_/'': : : |:    ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) : |: : : :|:  ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)): \..|
……../,'-,: : : : : ''-,_______,-'': : : : ''-„_____|
……..\: :|: : : : : : : : : : : : : :„: : : : :-,: : : : : : : ?
………',:': : : : : : : : : : : : :,-'__: : : :_',: : : : ;: ,'
……….'-,-': : : : : :___„-: : :'': : ¯''~~'': ': : ~--|'
………….|: ,: : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : :: :
………….'|: \: : : : : : : : -,„_„„-~~--~--„_: :: |
…………..|: \: : : : : : : : : : : :-------~: : : : : |
You have been visited by the propane god, I tell ya hwat. Repost this on 5 more profiles or Hank Hill will bring the propain.

- credit to, @Cinnabar Sonar

On 8/7/2019 at 11:25 AM, Spotty said:

This is probably one of those things where everyone will hate it when it is new and then in a few months time everyone will love it and just accept it as being the norm, forgetting what the old design even looked like.

True. Everybody hates when stuff changes, even if it is for the better.

Sometimes the changes are BAD for legitimate reasons, but I havent tried it yet.

I remember some changes Youtube and Twitch app made that were so bad that I was sure they would be reversed (and they were. Thinking about it, they might have been bugs even)

Ultra is stupid. ALWAYS.

Well.. I like it...

I noticed this yesterday on my account, actually liked it.

Brands I wholeheartedly reccomend (though do have flawed products): Apple, Razer, Corsair, Asus, Gigabyte, bequiet!, Noctua, Fractal, GSkill (RAM only)

Wall Of Fame (Informative people/People I like): @Glenwing @DrMacintosh @Schnoz @TempestCatto @LogicalDrm @Dan Castellaneta

Useful threads: 

How To Make Your Own Cloud Storage

Spoiler

Guide to Display Cables/Adapters

Spoiler

PSU Tier List (Latest)-

Spoiler

Main PC: See spoiler tag

Laptop: 2020 iPad Pro 12.9" with Magic Keyboard

Spoiler

PCPartPicker Part List: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/gKh8zN

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 3.8 GHz 12-Core OEM/Tray Processor  (Purchased For $419.99) 
Motherboard: Asus ROG Crosshair VIII Formula ATX AM4 Motherboard  (Purchased For $356.99) 
Memory: G.Skill Trident Z RGB 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory  (Purchased For $130.00) 
Storage: Kingston Predator 240 GB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive  (Purchased For $40.00) 
Storage: Crucial MX300 1.05 TB 2.5" Solid State Drive  (Purchased For $100.00) 
Storage: Western Digital Red 8 TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive  (Purchased For $180.00) 
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce RTX 2070 8 GB WINDFORCE Video Card  (Purchased For $370.00) 
Case: Fractal Design Define R6 USB-C ATX Mid Tower Case  (Purchased For $100.00) 
Power Supply: Corsair RMi 1000 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply  (Purchased For $120.00) 
Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer  (Purchased For $75.00) 
Total: $1891.98
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-04-02 19:59 EDT-0400

身のなわたしはる果てぞ  悲しわたしはかりけるわたしは

On 8/7/2019 at 9:34 AM, RejZoR said:

As much as I hate Google, I don't see how this is bad design. I'm using DuckDuckGo and their segmenting across entire width (which I assume is similar to old Google design) is sometimes a bit annoying or clumsy as it's shifting the whole page around. Here, it's not which seems more convenient. You do need extra width on the screen tho...

Yeah, the whole lets smack a big full width bar across with the image has always bugged me.

This new layout looks nice and the fact one can keep looking at images while having a selected one off to the side seems nice to me. Though, giving layout options for folks would be nice as well.

2023 BOINC Pentathlon Event

F@H & BOINC Installation on Linux Guide

My CPU Army: 5800X, E5-2670V3, 1950X, 5960X J Batch, 10750H *lappy

My GPU Army:3080Ti, 960 FTW @ 1551MHz, RTX 2070 Max-Q *lappy

My Console Brigade: Gamecube, Wii, Wii U, Switch, PS2 Fatty, Xbox One S, Xbox One X

My Tablet Squad: iPad Air 5th Gen, Samsung Tab S, Nexus 7 (1st gen)

3D Printer Unit: Prusa MK3S, Prusa Mini, EPAX E10

VR Headset: Quest 2

Hardware lost to Kevdog's Law of Folding

OG Titan, 5960X, ThermalTake BlackWidow 850 Watt PSU

I don’t see the issue 

On 8/7/2019 at 4:21 PM, Princess Luna said:

Myself on a personal note would like to point out that I also dislike this new design decision and I would much prefer to go back to the older one, genuinely considering DuckDuckGo for image searches until an alternative's met.

Double so if you are on an ultrawide. Man that head turn! :D

CPU: i7 6950X  |  Motherboard: Asus Rampage V ed. 10  |  RAM: 32 GB Corsair Dominator Platinum Special Edition 3200 MHz (CL14)  |  GPUs: 2x Asus GTX 1080ti SLI 

Storage: Samsung 960 EVO 1 TB M.2 NVME  |  PSU: In Win SIV 1065W 

Cooling: Custom LC 2 x 360mm EK Radiators | EK D5 Pump | EK 250 Reservoir | EK RVE10 Monoblock | EK GPU Blocks & Backplates | Alphacool Fittings & Connectors | Alphacool Glass Tubing

Case: In Win Tou 2.0  |  Display: Alienware AW3418DW  |  Sound: Woo Audio WA8 Eclipse + Focal Utopia Headphones