G-Sync on a none G-Sync Monitor Limiting FPS

shshiner

I had a little hunt around the forum to see if this has been brought up before but couldn't find anything so I apologize if it has and I missed it.

I have not long got my hands on a cheap GTX 1060 6gb card on ebay, which I'm using with an old Samsung Syncmaster monitor that doesn't have g-sync. As most people likely do I tweaked my settings in the nvidia control panel to try get the most out of my card but ended up being quite disappointed in the results compared to my previous 1050ti.

After some googling I found that even though my monitor is not g-sync compatible, because I decided to tweak my settings nvidia enabled g-sync without giving me an option disable it through the control panel, which seemed quite unfair, I didn't even know it had been enabled and if I had not researched a bit my performance would have stayed degraded. 

On one post somewhere the poster advised to download a little application called NvidiaInspector and disable it through that. After doing this I noticed a noticeable increase in fps, up to +15/20fps so far!

If Nvidia want people to have the best performance they can get for their money why the hell would they enable g-sync almost by default even for non g-sync monitors? Seems stupid to me.

Not sure if this happens with all nvidia g-sync cards or not but if it does then those of us that are not using compatible monitors may want to double check if it has been enabled and if it has, disable it until we can get the hardware to support it.

PS. Not sure if I can post a link to NvidiaInspector or not so I'll err on the side of caution and let folks who want it google for it instead. 

6 hours ago, shshiner said:

After some googling I found that even though my monitor is not g-sync compatible, because I decided to tweak my settings nvidia enabled g-sync without giving me an option disable it through the control panel, which seemed quite unfair, I didn't even know it had been enabled and if I had not researched a bit my performance would have stayed degraded.

Could you teach me that magic on how g-sync got enabled?

If you don't have a gsync monitor connected the driver shouldn't even show you the option to en-/disable it. Are you sure that gsync got enabled and not something else? Some screenshots of the control panel would be nice.

Also enabling gsync doesn’t reduce your fps by 15-20. It shouldn't affect fps at all.

If you find any grammar or spelling errors please fill out entry permit A38, thanks.

Greetings from germany

Profilepicture by Chibiterasu-chan

13 minutes ago, crosstiger said:

If you don't have a gsync monitor connected the driver shouldn't even show you the option to en-/disable it. Are you sure that gsync got enabled and not something else? Some screenshots of the control panel would be nice.

Also enabling gsync doesn’t reduce your fps by 15-20. It shouldn't affect fps at all.

V-Sync shows up on my V-Sync monitor, but I have a NVIDIA graphics card.  When V-Sync is auto-enabled in games, it destroys my FPS, like on Rainbow Six: Siege (PS4).

Primary

CPU:      i9-10900k 3.7-5.3GHz (10th gen)

GPU:      EVGA RTX 3080ti FTW3 Ultra Gaming 12gb

MB:         ASUS RoG Maximus XIII Hero (ATX)

RAM:      64gb (4x16) DDR4-3200MHz G.Skill TridentZ Silver/Black (CL16)

HD:         1x 8TB Corsair MP400 NVMe PCIe 3.0 (SSD)

2x 16TB Seagate Exos 7200rpm (HDD)

E-HD:     12TB WD

PSU:       EVGA 1000w G2, 80+ Gold (modular)

UPS:       900w CyberPower

Display:   ASUS 27” 1440p/270Hz IPS 0.5ms (XG27AQM)

Aorus 27" 1440p/165Hz IPS 1ms (FI27Q-P) iGPU

KeyB:      EVGA Z15 (wired)

Mouse:    Logitech G-502 Hero (400/600/800/1000)

Headset: JBL Quantum ONE Gaming Headset

Case:      Cooler Master MasterCase H500P Mesh (ATX)

Other:     XB-1 Wireless Controller Adapter w/Controller

NPET H01 Gaming Mouse Bungee Cord Holder w/4 USB Ports

Gaming Computer Specs.pdf

16 minutes ago, crosstiger said:

I don't have screenshots at the moment and you're correct the option does not appear in nvidia control panel but I'll try replicate it over the weekend by uninstalling and reinstalling the drivers and showing you the options in nvidiainspector

16 minutes ago, crosstiger said:

Well it did with me, v-sync was off so it wasn't that.

Here's a screenshot of nvidiainspector with the two options I turned off:

Screenshot_1.png

30 minutes ago, Taintedmind said:

V-Sync shows up on my V-Sync monitor, but I have a NVIDIA graphics card.  When V-Sync is auto-enabled in games, it destroys my FPS, like on Rainbow Six: Siege (PS4).

v sync is not gsync. V-Sync will limit the fps to the refresh rate of the monitor (eg. cap at 60 or 120). Gsync changes the monitor refresh rate to whatever fps you have. Vsync will always limit your fps and sometime introduce some micro stutter.

21 minutes ago, shshiner said:

I don't have screenshots at the moment and you're correct the option does not appear in nvidia control panel but I'll try replicate it over the weekend by uninstalling and reinstalling the drivers and showing you the options in nvidiainspector

Well it did with me, v-sync was off so it wasn't that.

Here's a screenshot of nvidiainspector with the two options I turned off:

You do that. Just make sure to fully uninstall the driver. Use the tool ddu if you dont trust the nvidia uninstaller.

I would also advise to disconnect your internet after uninstalling (before restarting the system) so windows doesnt auto install a driver. Then install the latest driver without internet connection.

If you find any grammar or spelling errors please fill out entry permit A38, thanks.

Greetings from germany

Profilepicture by Chibiterasu-chan