Windows Defender rated top AV by AV-Test

TacticalSquid

Somehow Microsoft pulled it off, somehow they made product that performs well. Alternatively, what does this say about the rest of the industry? If the company that cant update it's own hallmark operating system without breaking it or deleting all its users files in certain folders can make a better antivirus, should we be worried?

PC Magazine reports on a softpedia article about the recent battery of tests to determine the best current rendition of AV available for windows machines and has determined that Windows Defender has learned its top award, with Webroot coming in last and several big names like Avadt, Bitdefender and F Secure coming in close second in terms of performance. 

Link listed below:

https://www.pcmag.com/news/369979/windows-defender-achieves-best-antivirus-status

Shade - Silverstone Primera PM01 RGB, i7 8700k 5.0ghz all core, Gigabyte Aorus Gaming 7, Corsair H110i AIO, 32GB TridentZ@3200Mhz, 240GB PNY CS1311, 500GB 960EVO, 3x 4TB Hitachi Ultrastar NAS, 1TB Apple NVME SSD, MBest MB279QR 1440p 165hz Monitor, Shimian (Apple Reject 27" Cinema display) 1440p 60hz, TT RIING 140mm x 4, Phanteks Halos x4

ASUS ROG17 GL702VM - 17" 75hz Gsync 1080p, 500GB 960 EVO, 500gb 850 EVO, 1060 6GB Undervolted (ASUS your cooling sucks), Modded cover.

Monochrome - i7 4570, Hyper 212 EVO, 120GB Mushkin Chronos, 16GB EVGA 2400Mhz DDR3, Rx480 8GB, Enthoo Pro M

Orwell (Lenovo X1 Yoga 1st Gen? 14" 2k IPS Screen, 500gb PM851 SSD, 8GB DDR3, i7-6500u.

Lenovo X1 Yoga 3rd Gen: 14" 2k 500 nit Dolbyvision Display, 256gn NVME, 16GB DDR4, i7-8650u

Newest Acquisition:

T480 (Think Hard) - i5-8250u undervolted -130mv, 16gb DDR4 2400, upgraded display B140Han01.3, 256gb SSD

As a MacOS user these concepts are very foreign and hard to understand. Macs don't get viruses. 

They must be wrong, but don't worry, the next 50 posts will explain why...

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

2 minutes ago, floofer said:

As a MacOS user these concepts are very foreign and hard to understand. Macs don't get viruses. 

macs do get viruses; it's just that windows is more popular so it's targeted more. if you don't believe me here's linus to tell you

I heard Microsoft are changing their buit in AV Windows Defender to Microsoft Defender, it's gotta be very big changed

3 minutes ago, VegetableStu said:

i can't remember the point where i went from "just get a free one from some reputable company" to "just use windows 10 defender", and I can't remember why... o_o

I think most people made that switch when they made the switch from windows 7 to 10.

Like, when most people buy a pc or upgrade them they sometimes ask "what antivirus do i need?" and the answer when they are on w10 is always "it's built-in, you don't need to worry about that" and that's basically it usually.

You do get the random derp that wants whatever anti-virus he used for years and usually pays for it too but that's fine.

If you want my attention, quote meh! D: or just stick an @samcool55 in your post :3

Spying on everyone to fight against terrorism is like shooting a mosquito with a cannon

4 minutes ago, Dogeystyle said:

Wait a minute, that's illegal

What?

Seeing how Defender was always a useless POS at the very bottom i highly doubt this is genuine and not a paid for thing....

Edited by jagdtigger

That title (though to be fair, also the title of the source article, and in turn, even the award this is describing) is misleading.  It won the "best antivirus" award, which contrary to what the name would seem to imply is not actually an indication that it's better than all others, just that it's of a high tier that only few have reached.  Just as an extra indicator of how messed up these names are, they have a second place prize for a variety of things that didn't quite make the "best antivirus" cut, called "top product".  Wonderful /s

And of course that's to say nothing of the questionable nature of the tests.  Some of the things that also ranked well make me wonder.  It would be good to get more details on what and how things were tested and weighted in the scoring as well.

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

7 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

That title (though to be fair, also the title of the source article, and in turn, even the award this is describing) is misleading.  It won the "best antivirus" award, which contrary to what the name would seem to imply is not actually an indication that it's better than all others, just that it's of a high tier that only few have reached.

I'd still rather use Defender than Symantec though, they earned my hatred many times lol

32 minutes ago, floofer said:

You must be dreaming, Mac can get viruses especially when there considerably a larger user based now so more people are developing for it.

Magical Pineapples

18 minutes ago, jagdtigger said:

What?

Seeing how Defender was always a useless POS at the very bottom i highly doubt this is genuine and not a paid for thing....

AV-Test is independent and has been testing for a very long time, all results are archived on their site. They are one of the few places you can actually go find decent comparison of AV products, in the past Security Essentials (Defender) has not been great, even scoring a zero for protection but now today it's actually rather good.

https://www.av-test.org/en/antivirus/home-windows/windows-vista/december-2010/

https://www.av-test.org/en/antivirus/home-windows/windows-7/december-2014/

https://www.av-test.org/en/antivirus/home-windows/windows-10/december-2018/

https://www.av-test.org/en/antivirus/home-windows/windows-10/june-2019/

Looking at it they were rated highest marks along with 3 other vendors. The other vendors generally get top marks by most testing suites. Unless Microsoft do the same or a lot more often I wouldn't pay much head to it.

For a standard home user they are generally enough though.

Gaming Machine: CPU: AMD 7950x cooled by a Custom Watercooling Loop| CASE: Lian Li Dynamic Evo | MOBO: X670E Asus Crosshair Extreme RAM: 64B DDR4 G.Skill 6000mhz ram | GPU: AMD 7900 XTX PSU: Corsair RM1000x with cablemod cables SSD's: 2TB Seagate 530, 4TB Seagate 530, 1TB WD SN850 | Monitors: 38" Acer X38P Predator| Mouse: Logitech G903 and Powerplay matt | KEYBOARD: Steelseries Apex mini pro | HEADSET: Logitech G935 Wireless Headset

| Pics of my rig |

Linux Machine: CPU: AMD 5950x cooled by a Custom Watercooling Loop| CASE: Phantek Evolv X | MOBO: X570 Asus Crosshair VIII Extreme RAM: 64GB DDR4 Crucial Ballistix 3600mhz ram | GPU: AMD 6900XT PSU: Corsair AX1200 with custom white sleeved Cables  SSD's: 1Tb Seagate 530 & 2Tb Seagate 530 & 2Tb KC3000 | Monitors: 38" Acer X38P Predator | Mouse: Logitech G903 and Powerplay matt | KEYBOARD: Steelseries Apex Pro| HEADSET: Logitech G935 Wireless Headset

| Pics of my rig |

Basement Machine: CPU: AMD 5950x cooled by a Custom Watercooling Loop| CASE: Thermaltake Core Pro 3 | MOBO: X570 Gigabyte Xtreme RAM: 64GB DDR4 G.Skill 3600mhz ram | GPU: Rtx 3080 Ti PSU: Corsair RM1000x  SSD's: 1Tb Crucial P3 Plus & 2Tb SN850 & 2Tb KC3000 | Monitors: 32" 1440p monitor | Mouse: Logitech G903 and Powerplay matt | KEYBOARD: Das Ultimate| HEADSET: Logitech G935 Wireless Headset

Meh, I mostly just use security suites for their additional features, like ransomware protection and a good firewall that I can manage myself. (I know that technically, Windows Defender has "protected folders", but it's not enough... especially by how well hidden it is that most users will never even notice it exist...)

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

I still don't understand how Windows Defender is getting flying colors for performance segment and the damn thing visibly slows to almost halt when scanning larger EXE files (like installers). On 12 threaded overclocked system with 32GB RAM and fast SSD. Yet in tests it's among the fastest. I just don't get it.

7 minutes ago, RejZoR said:

I still don't understand how Windows Defender is getting flying colors for performance segment and the damn thing visibly slows to almost halt when scanning larger EXE files (like installers). On 12 threaded overclocked system with 32GB RAM and fast SSD. Yet in tests it's among the fastest. I just don't get it.

You might want to change how often it scans files. 

Specs: Motherboard: Asus X470-PLUS TUF gaming (Yes I know it's poor but I wasn't informed) RAM: Corsair VENGEANCE® LPX DDR4 3200Mhz CL16-18-18-36 2x8GB

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900X          Case: Antec P8     PSU: Corsair RM850x                        Cooler: Antec K240 with two Noctura Industrial PPC 3000 PWM

Drives: Samsung 970 EVO plus 250GB, Micron 1100 2TB, Seagate ST4000DM000/1F2168 GPU: EVGA RTX 2080 ti Black edition

As Windows Defender comes pre-installed with Windows 10, I'm not one bit surprised. It's been my anti-virus of choice as I don't want any 3rd party anti-virus program sucking up resources on my PC.

Windows Defender is decent for what it says on the tin, a basic anti-virus and general protective sidekick, nothing too in-depth or resource-heavy.

It is fairly good at detecting what it considers suspicious files, as there have been numerous times where I've been downloading game mods for Fallout 4 and such where Windows Defender was like "Whoa buddy, you sure you wanna download that?" which was a nice nudge on the shoulder.

mechanical keyboard switches aficionado & hi-fi audio enthusiast

switch reviews  how i lube mx-style keyboard switches

That's very good for built-in OS security tool. Great to see it improved and not feeling completely unprotected without any third party AV

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Corsair K63 Cherry MX red | Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

1 hour ago, leadeater said:

I'd still rather use Defender than Symantec though, they earned my hatred many times lol

Symantec: The AV that used all of my laptops 512MB of RAM. And wanted even more.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

Windows Defender is definitely the best at not bugging you to buy a paid version

Because you already spent $90+ on a Windows License

Edited by rcmaehl

PLEASE QUOTE ME IF YOU ARE REPLYING TO ME

Desktop Build: Ryzen 7 2700X @ 4.0GHz, AsRock Fatal1ty X370 Professional Gaming, 48GB Corsair DDR4 @ 3000MHz, RX5700 XT 8GB Sapphire Nitro+, Benq XL2730 1440p 144Hz FS

Retro Build: Intel Pentium III @ 500 MHz, Dell Optiplex G1 Full AT Tower, 768MB SDRAM @ 133MHz, Integrated Graphics, Generic 1024x768 60Hz Monitor

58 minutes ago, Dabombinable said:

Symantec: The AV that used all of my laptops 512MB of RAM. And wanted even more.

You know almost 2 decades have passed since then and Norton changed dramatically?