in help of deciding between GTX 1660 Ti and RX 590

Cactopos
On 8/6/2019 at 9:48 PM, LienusLateTips said:

It's not a risk. GPUs don't easily die like that.

I never said it's a risk. I said that some people regard it as a risk while others don't...

Ryzen 5 2600 | Asus ROG Strix GTX 1660 Ti | Asus ROG Strix B450-E | Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 16GB (2x8) RAM 3200MHZ 16CL | Cooler Master Mastercase H500 | TX650M GOLD | 2TB WD BLUE 5400 RPM | 500GB SATA SSD | Asus MG248QE Monitor| ---------- | Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum Mouse | SkullCandy Crusher Wireless Headphones | Trash $6 membrane keyboard from a brand which I can't read the name of because it's literally so cheap that the company's logo hasn't been printed right and the letters are unclear and now that we're at it it's so loud and hurts my fingertips I honestly regret buying it I wish I'd bought normal ram sticks instead of corsair's overpriced rgb ones and with the money I saved buy a better keyboard instead

On 8/6/2019 at 10:13 PM, Jurrunio said:

it's alright. Not as s*** as the older ones since the "cheapest of the bunch" status is replaced by the Ventus, and that's quite bad in fan noise (especially the high pitch).

My cousin has a Ventus 1660 and he would approve of that. It is noticeably noisy and its thermals aren't great

Ryzen 5 2600 | Asus ROG Strix GTX 1660 Ti | Asus ROG Strix B450-E | Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 16GB (2x8) RAM 3200MHZ 16CL | Cooler Master Mastercase H500 | TX650M GOLD | 2TB WD BLUE 5400 RPM | 500GB SATA SSD | Asus MG248QE Monitor| ---------- | Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum Mouse | SkullCandy Crusher Wireless Headphones | Trash $6 membrane keyboard from a brand which I can't read the name of because it's literally so cheap that the company's logo hasn't been printed right and the letters are unclear and now that we're at it it's so loud and hurts my fingertips I honestly regret buying it I wish I'd bought normal ram sticks instead of corsair's overpriced rgb ones and with the money I saved buy a better keyboard instead

27 minutes ago, Deathtroya said:

That's the problem. You would never be able to know if they're simply used, or excessively mined 24/7. I don't know how many times you want me to say this, but...you regard mined cards as an opportunity, others like myself wouldn't be comfortable with such purchases

except there is no issues with mining cards. they are like most other GPUs. except you know roughly what period they were used. 

you just dont like used purschases. i get that. but if a GPU works with no PCB damage and artifacting during stress tests and sensor monitoring works. then there is no reason that it would die any time soon. 

On 8/9/2019 at 9:01 PM, GoldenLag said:

except there is no issues with mining cards.

except that you would never know by looking at it. except that having little dust doesn't mean they're lightly used.

On 8/9/2019 at 9:01 PM, GoldenLag said:

except you know roughly what period they were used. 

except you don't unless it's a new model, which is definitely not the GTX 1070

5 minutes ago, Deathtroya said:

except you don't unless it's a new model, which is definitely not the GTX 1070

Except you do by following the crypto curve.......

5 minutes ago, Deathtroya said:

except that you would never know by looking at it. except that having little dust doesn't mean they're lightly used.

Its why you do test if you have the option to do so. 

Usage really dont kill electronics. Motherboards and PSUs are one of the few exceptions to that. 

A visual inspection to look for brun marks or other things as signs of poor care is a thing. 

3 hours ago, GoldenLag said:

Its why you do test if you have the option to do so. 

IF. IF. I don't have much experience with buying used cards but as far as I know, a normal, discreet person wouldn't let you take the card, plug it, and test it all while still not having taken their money. Does that make much sense to you?

Usage really dont kill electronics. Motherboards and PSUs are one of the few exceptions to that. 

Excessive usage might not necessarily kill electronics, but it definitely wears out the fans.

A visual inspection to look for brun marks or other things as signs of poor care is a thing. 

Having burn marks or signs of poor care is a definitive sign of misuse / overuse / or, well, poor care. (duh.) But that does NOT mean not having these signs is a definitive sign of the card's well-being, does it? That's my point. The fact that it 'looks' like a new card and doesn't have scratches / marks is never enough to deduce that the card is in good condition.

1 hour ago, Deathtroya said:

Excessive usage might not necessarily kill electronics, but it definitely wears out the fans.

turns out. that is really the least concerning thing that can die on a card. because its really obvious when it does. and it doesnt kill the card. 

But that does NOT mean not having these signs is a definitive sign of the card's well-being, does it? That's my point.

except there is really nothing other than that in electronics that is of concern. as it really does "wear" out. components on a GPU more or less last forever. 

The fact that it 'looks' like a new card and doesn't have scratches / marks is never enough to deduce that the card is in good condition.

other than artifacting that might occur with a broken card. a lack of any wear is a good sign....... 

I don't have much experience with buying used cards but as far as I know, a normal, discreet person wouldn't let you take the card, plug it, and test it all while still not having taken their money.

considering the person selling it has a PC of sorts. i find it hard to believe that you need to take the card with you. allowing a concerned person to do some minor tests on it is very much within what a seller of a GPU expects he might have to do. 

if its on ebay. find a decent seller. 

Just now, GoldenLag said:

because its really obvious when it does.

And how exactly is it 'obivious'?

1 minute ago, GoldenLag said:

components on a GPU more or less last forever. 

..??!

2 minutes ago, GoldenLag said:

a lack of any wear is a good sign....... 

Definitely better than clear presence of wear, but more definitely not enough to deduce that the card is in good condition.

5 minutes ago, GoldenLag said:

allowing a concerned person to do some minor tests on it is very much within what a seller of a GPU expects he might have to do. 

Even though that's nowhere near being existent in all cases or even most of them, that's the only case in which I (or any consumer with my mindset) might re-consider going for a used GPU.

And how exactly is it 'obivious'?

You know a fan is dead when its not spinning, or your ear is hurting from it spinning. 

Its a fan..... What else do you expect?

.??!

Point to a component on a GPU that does not last essentially forever. 

GPU just doesnt die suddenly. It can do that, tho the likelyhood of that happening is very low. And would happen randomly anyways. 

Definitely better than clear presence of wear, but more definitely not enough to deduce that the card is in good condition.

If there is no sign of bad wear and the GPU works. Then there is no reason why it shouldnt work just fine. 

2 hours ago, GoldenLag said:

You know a fan is dead when its not spinning, or your ear is hurting from it spinning. 

Given that you can test it, that is, which is as I mentioned, the only (rare) case at which you could be comfortable with the purchase of a used GPU. In addition, the fact that it's simply 'spinning' doesn't mean its life expectancy is as new.

Point to a component on a GPU that does not last essentially forever. 

You point to a component on a GPU that is guaranteed to work forever.

If there is no sign of bad wear and the GPU works. Then there is no reason why it shouldnt work just fine. 

Yet again, there's also no way to guarantee it's in a good condition just by looking at it and seeing no wearing or marks.

Just so we can finish this off, here's the bottom line:

If the seller gives you the privilege of testing the GPU, a consumer with basic knowledge would be able to know the GPU's condition by testing it and would therefore be able to guarantee that he gets what he should. If the seller isn't comfortable with you taking it, plugging it, and testing it while not having received his money (which is obviously understandable. It's a rather concerning matter because the seller should suspect the buyer's indecency just as much as the buyer would suspect the seller's) then this is the gray area. Some consumers- and I suppose most -,like myself, would see that as a risk since no matter how well-informed you are, you'd never be able to know if a card is in good condition by just looking at it. Other consumers, (like yourself, apparently) see it as an opportunity as most people regard used GPUs as half-dead, which is not necessarily the case, and you see that as something worth taking advantage of since the prices are significantly lowered in most cases.

It's objective. Full stop.

6 hours ago, Deathtroya said:

Given that you can test it, that is, which is as I mentioned, the only (rare) case at which you could be comfortable with the purchase of a used GPU. In addition, the fact that it's simply 'spinning' doesn't mean its life expectancy is as new.

Non-spinning fan is not a concern tho.....

Its practically the last thing to worry about. Its mostly an excuse to not buy used GPUs for people who dont like to buy used GPUs.

Yet again, there's also no way to guarantee it's in a good condition just by looking at it and seeing no wearing or marks.

There is also no way of guaranteeing that the new GPI you buy isnt DOA or will die shortly after warranty. 

So your point is?

You point to a component on a GPU that is guaranteed to work forever.

The PCB. And the capacitors and input and output filtering. The powerstages or discrete mosfets. 

Forever is me saying its gonna last longer than you would want to keep the card. 

Full stop.

You dont want to bjy for the small chance of being scammed or the GPI being DOA. I get it. 

18 hours ago, GoldenLag said:

There is also no way of guaranteeing that the new GPI you buy isnt DOA or will die shortly after warranty. 

So your point is?

EXACTLY. That's my point. You never know if it's going to work as new or die before you realize it. That's literally my whole point. YOU CAN'T guarantee it's going to work. Likewise, YOU CAN'T guarantee it'll die on you after a few minutes of usage. There is a chance it'll work fine and a chance it won't. Are you mentally able to comprehend what I'm saying or should I repeat it a dozen more times or so?

Non-spinning fan is not a concern tho.....

Yeah, not at all. Except for the fact that your GPU will literally be roasted because it's literally functioning without being cooled (Unless you're talking about Q mode limits) That's not a concern, though. Getting a used GPU that has non-spinning fans is not a concern at all.

Its practically the last thing to worry about. Its mostly an excuse to not buy used GPUs for people who dont like to buy used GPUs.

I know, right? It's the last thing you want to worry about. I mean, who even cares if the card is well-functioning? It's a simple matter, you see a used GPU that "looks" good and doesn't have burn marks, you immediately buy it. Pfft, who even cares about the card's health? Who cares if the fans are spinning? You just need to get one that looks good. It's that easy. Honestly, people who buy so-called "New" GPUs are missing on a lot for not buying used ones instead, right?

19 hours ago, GoldenLag said:

Forever is me saying its gonna last longer than you would want to keep the card. 

Definitely. Except for the fact that you don't know for how much I want to keep the card. Except for the fact that something as simple as overclocking (which is, by the way, something you wouldn't know has been done, if it indeed has) significantly decreases the GPU's lifespan. Except for the fact that you wouldn't know for sure how much time it's been used for unless the seller provides proof for it (which would logically be really rare) or by roughly estimating it through various aspects (like the model's release date or serial number tracking, if possible.) Not gonna lie, that's some top-tier speculation you got there.

You dont want to bjy for the small chance of being scammed or the GPI being DOA. I get it. 

You're being way too salty and serious about this simple matter that you're smashing your keys without knowing what you're typing, I get it. Honestly, you need to calm down, buddy. Based on what you're saying and how you strictly you disagree with me, you're forcefully trying to claim and prove that buying a used GPU is a suitable decision for everyone and in every case. Re-consider what you're saying and you'll understand me.

the small chance of being scammed

Ah, so you've finally realized what I've been trying to tell you this whole time. But wait a minute, doesn't that mean you're contradicting yourself? Based on what you yourself are saying, you are. By saying that, you're contradicting yourself so hard that you don't even realize it. Did you forget which side you're on or what smh

Feel free to repeat whatever you're saying because you're out of things to say. Feel free to make speculations based on your personal opinion and nothing else and applying it for all cases because you apparently don't understand the concept of different viewpoints. Feel free to ask me about anything in general. I'd be more than glad to educate you on what you don't know or inform you on what you're wrong informed on based on my relatively average knowledge. No matter how much you insist, I'll make sure to make you know that you're wrong. ❤️

You're welcome.

4 hours ago, Deathtroya said:

Yeah, not at all. Except for the fact that your GPU will literally be roasted because it's literally functioning without being cooled (Unless you're talking about Q mode limits) That's not a concern, though. Getting a used GPU that has non-spinning fans is not a concern at all.

When i say its not a concern. Then i mean the solution is a ziptie and a fan away......

Also, there is a heatsink and safety is in place to protect the card. You can run a CPU without a heatsink without it being damaged. It will heat up and shut down when it gets too hot. 

Re-consider what you're saying and you'll understand me.

I get what you are saying..... Except you have been overstating the risk of buying something used. It started with you painting mining cards as something everyone should avoid. When it actuallity it had nothing to do with the fact its a mining card. Its the used factor. I can understand people not buying because of the used factor.

Ah, so you've finally realized what I've been trying to tell you this whole time. But wait a minute, doesn't that mean you're contradicting yourself?

Considering ive been mentioning the used factor since the beginning. I dont exactly see how. 

On 8/9/2019 at 8:31 PM, Deathtroya said:

I never said it's a risk. I said that some people regard it as a risk while others don't...

This however, is you saying its a risk while claiming you are saying there is no risk, i apologize for not saying its a risk. But i had allready mentioned the used factor. Which is the only real risk. 

Honestly, people who buy so-called "New" GPUs are missing on a lot for not buying used ones instead, right?

People who try to save money, yes they are......

Its a good option. 

Did you forget which side you're on or what smh

The side that says used GPUs are legitemate low-risk option for those who want to save money?  

You're being way too salty and serious about this simple matter that you're smashing your keys without knowing what you're typing, I get it.

Im typing on my phone without autocorrect.........

No matter how much you insist, I'll make sure to make you know that you're wrong. ❤️

I mean, at some point a mod will come lock the thread..... In the end it was really just a long winded game of me trying to stop you from overplaying the risks of used GPUs. 

Feel free to make speculations based on your personal opinion and nothing else and applying it for all cases because you apparently don't understand the concept of different viewpoints

Since the beginning ive mentioned the used factor, which is something i very much understand is a no-go for people.

The picture you paint of used hardware hpwever is way to harsh, im trying to clear that up. 

8 hours ago, GoldenLag said:

i very much understand is a no-go for people.

9 hours ago, GoldenLag said:

I can understand people not buying because of the used factor.

Good. I'm glad I've made my point clear and you now understand it so I don't have to say anything further.

Arrivederci in Bucciarati's Voice

2 minutes ago, Deathtroya said:

Good. I'm glad I've made my point clear and you now understand it so I don't have to say anything further.

I mean, i mentioned it very early in the thread..... So i thought it would be obvious.

Just now, GoldenLag said:

I mean, i mentioned it very early in the thread..... So i thought it would be obvious.

Didn't look that way to me...