some fun with a very old laptop

goto10

a friend has this old lenovo 3000c200

is a ancient laptop that i had kept alive for many years

this thing came with vista! with a wonderful celeron m430

i upgraded it years ago from 512 mbs of ram to 1.5 and later to 2gbs

yesterday we decided to replace the original sata hard disk to something newer, a ssd!

as a surprise to my friend i decided to also upgrade ram and cpu

before attempting anything i checked that this old bios could recognize a ssd, so i plugged my kingston suv400, it was detected properly, so i went today to a store i like to buy parts, bought another kingston, a a400

then i went for the ram, i bought 2 wgb ram modules, i did a quick memtest and both modules were detected

then went for the cpu, all i could find was a broken with bent pins core 2 duo t5200, i was looking for a t5500, after visiting many other stores with cpus all damaged because it is just old parts not many look for, they just toss them into a box and all you get is garbage i refused to buy

then came back, installed the ssd but bios didnt saw it, nor windows installer

i tried again with the old ssd but that one worked perfectly, well, i just migrated the information from the old to the new and used the old one on the build

then i discovered something terrible, the old celeron is 32 bits only, i couldnt access the entire 4gbs, only 3, i do need that core 2 duo if i want the 4 gbs!

perhaps i will have to buy it on amazon or something, but seller seems to be in china, so cpu migth take 2 months to arrive, and no idea if a broken with bent pins cpu will arrive or wrong part

well, definitively a fun machine to play with, fun thing is that even being a single core celeron, for normal tasks it doesnt feel bad, a bit unexpected i think

well, the system shows 4 gbs, but only address 3 minus what gpu takes for the 945

form what i have found it seems that with a bios update it should support those cpus you mention like a 7200, but to be honest with how it is running, it is perfectly usable to read and compose documents, open basic pages and abit more

it is probable that my fiend ends up buying a ryzen laptop in december, so it is not that terrible if it cant get another cpu really, i really wanted to play around with the cpu, but wait for 2 months for the cpu to arrive is discouraging

the idea was to push abit this laptop because it has sentimental value and to be honest is admirable that this machine has given so much, i didnt even changed thermal paste on that thing, ever!