Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Pleo

MSI B450 Tomahawk + Ryzen 5 3600 question.

Posted · Original PosterOP

Will this cpu get recognized by the motherboard. I've seen alot about flashing bios etc to get the latest version that supports 3rd gen ryzen cpu's.

The question is though, IF the cpu does not work with the motherboard out of the box, how am i going to do anything without the CPU?

I'm wondering if i can order this combination of parts, and install it so that it works out of the box. No bios flashing etc.

Thanks

yes and no

you first need to update the bios, after that it will

instructions should be on the msi website

PSU Tier List//Motherboard VRM list//Graphics card (cooling) tier list//Build Guide Megathread//Motherboard Tier List//Linux Guide//Build logs//Seasonic Focus issues//Mark Solved//Community standards

Don't forget to quote or mention me

Primary PC:

Spoiler

CPU: I5-8600k  @4.5 ghz  GPU: GTX 1070 ti EVGA SC Gaming   RAM: 8+8 3500 mhz DDR4 Trident Z   MOBO: MSI Gaming Pro Carbon AC   HDD: 1 TB 7200 RPM Seagate Baracudda, 1 TB 5400 RPM Samsung Spinpoint HD103SI   SSD: Samsung 860 EVO 500 GB   Soundcard: built in   Case: Cooler Master Masterbox Lite 5 RGB (modified)

Secondary PC: Cedar mill

Spoiler

CPU: i3-2130   GPU: Intel HD graphics   RAM: 4+2 GB 1333 mhz DDR3    MOBO: HP H series   HDD: 320 GB WD Black 7200 RPM   PSU: HP 250 watt   Case: Sunbeam Quarterback   Screen: IIyama Prolite T2240MTS, Samsung SyncMaster710N

Server: CookieVault V2 (in progression)

Spoiler

CPU: dual Xeon x5650   GPU: GT210.  RAM: 6x4 GB+6x2 GB DDR3R.  MOBO: HP ML350 g6   HDD: 4x Samsung Spinpoint HD103SI 1TB   PSU: 2x Delta 460w 80+ platinum  Case: ML350 G6

Laptop: HP Elitebook 8460p

Spoiler

CPU: I5-2540m  GPU: Intel HD graphics   RAM: 8+4GB 1333 mhz DDR3   SSD: mx500 250gb  Screen: TN 768p

Consoles:

Spoiler

PS4 slim glacier white 500 gb, PS4 FTP Special Edition 500 gb, Xbox, 3 DS lites, DSI XL, Gameboy Advanced Color, PS Vita v2, Wii, PS3 500 gb

Posted · Original PosterOP
4 minutes ago, LukeSavenije said:

yes and no

you first need to update the bios, after that it will

instructions should be on the msi website

Do I need a working cpu to update the bios, or just a regular usb stick?

34 minutes ago, Pleo said:

Do I need a working cpu to update the bios, or just a regular usb stick?

tomahawk can do it without cpu, so just the usb with the bios on it (on the right location)

PSU Tier List//Motherboard VRM list//Graphics card (cooling) tier list//Build Guide Megathread//Motherboard Tier List//Linux Guide//Build logs//Seasonic Focus issues//Mark Solved//Community standards

Don't forget to quote or mention me

Primary PC:

Spoiler

CPU: I5-8600k  @4.5 ghz  GPU: GTX 1070 ti EVGA SC Gaming   RAM: 8+8 3500 mhz DDR4 Trident Z   MOBO: MSI Gaming Pro Carbon AC   HDD: 1 TB 7200 RPM Seagate Baracudda, 1 TB 5400 RPM Samsung Spinpoint HD103SI   SSD: Samsung 860 EVO 500 GB   Soundcard: built in   Case: Cooler Master Masterbox Lite 5 RGB (modified)

Secondary PC: Cedar mill

Spoiler

CPU: i3-2130   GPU: Intel HD graphics   RAM: 4+2 GB 1333 mhz DDR3    MOBO: HP H series   HDD: 320 GB WD Black 7200 RPM   PSU: HP 250 watt   Case: Sunbeam Quarterback   Screen: IIyama Prolite T2240MTS, Samsung SyncMaster710N

Server: CookieVault V2 (in progression)

Spoiler

CPU: dual Xeon x5650   GPU: GT210.  RAM: 6x4 GB+6x2 GB DDR3R.  MOBO: HP ML350 g6   HDD: 4x Samsung Spinpoint HD103SI 1TB   PSU: 2x Delta 460w 80+ platinum  Case: ML350 G6

Laptop: HP Elitebook 8460p

Spoiler

CPU: I5-2540m  GPU: Intel HD graphics   RAM: 8+4GB 1333 mhz DDR3   SSD: mx500 250gb  Screen: TN 768p

Consoles:

Spoiler

PS4 slim glacier white 500 gb, PS4 FTP Special Edition 500 gb, Xbox, 3 DS lites, DSI XL, Gameboy Advanced Color, PS Vita v2, Wii, PS3 500 gb

Nope it won't work out of the box, unless the seller upgraded the bios before selling it, which I doubt. Depending on where you are buying it from though you can ask if they will do that. They might charge a small fee.

I have that board with a 3600 on it. It has bios blashback, which means you can upgrade the bios without a cpu installed. You have to download the bios, rename it and install it on a usb drive. Plug the usb into the correct usb port on the motherboard (its marked), put power to the board and press the little button. It will update from there, it may take a while. Minutes, not like an hour or anything crazy like that. When its done put the 3600 in it and you are ready to go.

Or if you are upgrading from an older AM4 cpu you can use that cpu to do it. That is what I did. I upraded from a 1500x so I dropped that into the new board and used it to update the bios. Pretty much the same process though. Difference is I didn't have to rename the file, I just unzipped it to my usb drive. Started the computer up, went into the bios and used the bios update feature in that. Using the "flashback" method would have actually been easier since my way I had to install the cpu twice.

With the latest bios, I believe the MSI Tomahawk is finally ready for 3rd gen Ryzen but you better check reddit etc to see. Prior versions of Bioses led to many booting problems. The most common complaint was trouble flashing the motherboard and when finally successful, the computer would not post with red cpu debug led light permanently on.

I have 2 x MSI B450 Pro Carbon AC's (on 3600x and 3700x) and with the version 18 bios, all my gremlins are now resolved, so I have no issues recommending this board.

Ryzen 3700x w/ Arctic Cooling 34 eSports DUO || MSI B450 Gaming Pro Carbon AC || GSkill DDR4 3200 CL14 @ 3600 16-16-16 || EVGA 2070 XC Gaming || WD Black 1T NVME, WD Black 2T 7200 rpm || EVGA SuperNova 750 G1+

My tomahawk install went perfectly smooth. Updated the bios, set the bios to default settings, enabled xmp for my memory and adjusted my fan curves and booted into windows. Temps where fine, idle voltages were great all was well. None of the issues other people seem to be complaining about.

I would suggest upgrading the cpu cooler though. The stock is pretty good for a stock cooler, but its still a stock cooler and not the greatest. Even a budget after market tower cooler will work a bit better and be more quiet.