Laptop Advice - Computer Science degree + Gaming

I'm beginning a Master of Computer Science degree next year, and would like to buy a laptop now in preparation. I live in Australia and have a budget of ~$2000AUD, but I am happy to pay a bit more if there is something that has a lot more value for the cost.

As i'll be using it for uni, i'd like some decent battery life, and not to be super heavy so that I can move it around.
I'm looking for something that has a dedicated GPU, with hopefully the ability to be used as portable VR in the future if it's within budget constraints.

Some of the options i've been looking at so far are the Lenovo Y540 (https://www.lenovo.com/au/en/laptops/legion-laptops/lenovo-legion-y-series/Lenovo-Legion-Y540-15/p/81SXCTO1WWENAU1/customize?), Y740 (https://www.lenovo.com/au/en/p/81UHCTO1WWENAU3/customize?guid=865d3e57-032f-4246-a1f5-1217790edc25&options_11=), and MSI P65 Creator 8RE (https://www.scorptec.com.au/product/Notebooks/Workstation-Laptops/74509-P65-Creator-8RE-048AU)

The Y540 looks great for the price, but i'm a little worried about the display not being very bright, is this something I should be concerned about?

Does the P65 8RE have any build quality issues?

I'd love any advice on the choices above, or if there are any better value alternatives that I should be considering!

Thanks for your help!

43 minutes ago, Schwing said:

decent battery life, and not to be super heavy

Min how many hours? Max weight in kg/lbs?

Desktop specs:

Spoiler

AMD Ryzen 5 5600 Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE ARGB Gigabyte B550M DS3H mATX

Asrock Challenger Pro OC Radeon RX 6700 XT Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (8Gx2) 3600MHz CL18 Kingston NV2 1TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSD

Montech Century 850W Gold Tecware Nexus Air (Black) ATX Mid Tower

Laptop: Lenovo Ideapad 5 Pro 16ACH6

Phone: Xiaomi Redmi Note 10 Pro 8+128

3 minutes ago, GeneXiS_X said:

Min how many hours? Max weight in kg/lbs?

I'll say 4 - 5 hours minimum.

I'm not sure on the weight, I just don't want to be lugging around a heavy laptop when I also have textbooks etc to carry.

~$2000AUD, but I am happy to pay a bit more

not to be super heavy

4 - 5 hours minimum

Any links of online stores?

Desktop specs:

Spoiler

AMD Ryzen 5 5600 Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE ARGB Gigabyte B550M DS3H mATX

Asrock Challenger Pro OC Radeon RX 6700 XT Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (8Gx2) 3600MHz CL18 Kingston NV2 1TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSD

Montech Century 850W Gold Tecware Nexus Air (Black) ATX Mid Tower

Laptop: Lenovo Ideapad 5 Pro 16ACH6

Phone: Xiaomi Redmi Note 10 Pro 8+128