Cloudflare terminate 8Chan

msknight
1 hour ago, realpetertdm said:

Yes my cherrypicked example is totally representative of an internet forum known to harbor alt-right racists

I'm pretty sure those imageboards contain all kinds both of the extreme left and extreme right. With extremely lax moderation ideas of all sorts can blossom, even those others or even the general public may not agree with. Sites such as 4chan and 8chan are a dual edged sword. Even with slight moderation, you can easily introduce religious, political, and other idealistic bias for conversational topics, preventing truly free speech. On the other hand, having no moderation, you're allowing potential for conversational topics and media to allow the promotion and sale of sexual and physical abuse.

PLEASE QUOTE ME IF YOU ARE REPLYING TO ME

Desktop Build: Ryzen 7 2700X @ 4.0GHz, AsRock Fatal1ty X370 Professional Gaming, 48GB Corsair DDR4 @ 3000MHz, RX5700 XT 8GB Sapphire Nitro+, Benq XL2730 1440p 144Hz FS

Retro Build: Intel Pentium III @ 500 MHz, Dell Optiplex G1 Full AT Tower, 768MB SDRAM @ 133MHz, Integrated Graphics, Generic 1024x768 60Hz Monitor

8 minutes ago, rcmaehl said:

I'm pretty sure those imageboards contain all kinds both of the extreme left and extreme right. With extremely lax moderation ideas of all sorts can blossom, even those others or even the general public may not agree with. Sites such as 4chan and 8chan are a dual edged sword. Even with slight moderation, you can easily introduce religious, political, and other idealistic bias for conversational topics, preventing truly free speech. On the other hand, having no moderation, you're allowing potential for conversational topics and media to allow the promotion and sale of sexual and physical abuse.

4chan definitely has moderation and they definitely enforce the rules. No idea about 8chan

Ryzen 7 3700X / 16GB RAM / Optane SSD / GTX 1650 / Solus Linux

Just now, NunoLava1998 said:

4chan definitely has moderation

Here's the thing, to many of the people calling for 4Chan's ban see equal moderation as a lack of it.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

ive been thinking maybe we should start going to 8chan not to attack the people there in fact that would be quite detrimental to what i want to achieve but to just share our ideas. i think that a big reason why the shooters became like that is because they are in an echo chamber which creates a feedback loop giving them more and more extreme views so we need more moderate people on 8chan

1 minute ago, spartaman64 said:

ive been thinking maybe we should start going to 8chan not to attack the people there in fact that would be quite detrimental to what i want to achieve but to just share our ideas. i think that a big reason why the shooters became like that is because they are in an echo chamber which creates a feedback loop giving them more and more extreme views so we need more moderate people on 8chan

No you mean have the freedom to discuss possibly widely different ideas to deescalate the situation and possibly come out better on both sides for it instead of banning people for wrong think?  What a novel concept...

9 minutes ago, TacoSenpai said:

No you mean have the freedom to discuss possibly widely different ideas to deescalate the situation and possibly come out better on both sides for it instead of banning people for wrong think?  What a novel concept...

Where's my thonk emoji when I need it

Desktop Build: Ryzen 7 2700X @ 4.0GHz, AsRock Fatal1ty X370 Professional Gaming, 48GB Corsair DDR4 @ 3000MHz, RX5700 XT 8GB Sapphire Nitro+, Benq XL2730 1440p 144Hz FS

Retro Build: Intel Pentium III @ 500 MHz, Dell Optiplex G1 Full AT Tower, 768MB SDRAM @ 133MHz, Integrated Graphics, Generic 1024x768 60Hz Monitor

I disagree with that decision TBH, Cloudflare offers hosting/website protection, right? So, in what way are they responsible for the content that is posted on the websites they host? This kind of reminds me of the platform or publisher debate about YouTube.

CPU: Intel Core i7-5820K | Motherboard: AsRock X99 Extreme4 | Graphics Card: Gigabyte GTX 1080 G1 Gaming | RAM: 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws4 2133MHz | Storage: 1 x Samsung 860 EVO 1TB | 1 x WD Green 2TB | 1 x WD Blue 500GB | PSU: Corsair RM750x | Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro (White) | Cooling: Arctic Freezer i32

Mice: Logitech G Pro X Superlight (main), Logitech G Pro Wireless, Razer Viper Ultimate, Zowie S1 Divina Blue, Zowie FK1-B Divina Blue, Logitech G Pro (3366 sensor), Glorious Model O, Razer Viper Mini, Logitech G305, Logitech G502, Logitech G402

2 minutes ago, VegetableStu said:

... does having someone as the customer mean that the company is implied to fully stand behind them morally? ._.

(not mentioning their point of refusing service to problematic clients for the moment)

By associating with them, you're siding with them is the current cultural thinking apparently.

9 hours ago, BigDamn said:

I'm not big on censorship but I think this is the right move. Many people on these message boards are sick and get their motivation to kill from other users there. These killers need someone to impress and their fellow 8chan, 4chan, etc. peers are the only ones they can. Obviously this won't eliminate 8chan from the internet, but I like the stance Cloudflare is taking.

Sick they my be not not illegal. 

¸„»°'´¸„»°'´ Vorticalbox `'°«„¸`'°«„¸
`'°«„¸¸„»°'´¸„»°'´`'°«„¸Scientia Potentia est  ¸„»°'´`'°«„¸`'°«„¸¸„»°'´

2 minutes ago, rcmaehl said:

By associating with them, you're siding with them is the current cultural thinking apparently.

While I can understand, and have joined that crowd, this shouldn’t apply here. They’re being paid for DDOS protections and hosting, not for content moderation, advertising, or search engine optimization.

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K

CPU Cooler: be quiet! - PURE ROCK 
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 
Motherboard: ASRock Z370 Extreme4
Memory: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 2x8GB 3200/14
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive 
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
Storage: Western Digital - BLACK SERIES 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: EVGA - 970 SSC ACX (1080 is in RMA)
Case: Fractal Design - Define R5 w/Window (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA P2 750W with CableMod blue/black Pro Series
Optical Drive: LG - WH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer 
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit and Linux Mint Serena
Keyboard: Logitech - G910 Orion Spectrum RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech - G502 Wired Optical Mouse
Headphones: Logitech - G430 7.1 Channel  Headset
Speakers: Logitech - Z506 155W 5.1ch Speakers

2 minutes ago, VegetableStu said:

but like when is it "defending" and when is it "allowing"? I'm sure people would want to "allow" others of differing opinions, but when is "defending" someone "a means to maintain civil discourse" and when is it "fully receptive of the opposing view"?

I'm not fully qualified to answer this kind of question. I'll refer you to one of these experts

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Index_of_sociopolitical_thinkers

5 hours ago, Trixanity said:

Aren't we just moving into the same territory as the war on drugs? This is essentially "if we kill all bad sites, there will be no bad people" similar to "if we try to get rid of drugs, say how bad they are and punish any seller or buyer severely; then drugs will go away".

How did that one go again?

I don't think the argument is that hyperbolic.  It's just that you don't want to make it easy for people like that to have a haven online.

The "sunlight is the best disinfectant" strategy doesn't really work online, I've found.  If you allow extremists on mainstream platforms, they just stick to their own kind for real conversations and only interact with other groups when they're sending death threats and harassment.  And if they operate in public in "anything goes" sites like 8chan or Voat, those communities end up primarily attracting people who were either the dregs of society to start with or are on a rapid slide toward that path... they rarely see the light.  Kicking those sites out at least reduces the chances they'll recruit new members.

What's so odd about about a company denying service to those espousing illegal acts?

I get it that we want to be social justice warriors and we go apeshit if a cake maker won't make a cake for a gay couple due to their religious beliefs, but at some point it's still MY FUCKING COMPANY and I should get to decide what customers I can and cannot serve.

A good line is "illegal shit".  Make gay people cakes, cuz that isn't illegal in the US.  8chan is crossing the line.   

As a company, we are there to provide a service/product.  Outside of legal issues, that should be done to any and all without discrimination.  Illegal is outside of that, or should be IMO.

"Do what makes the experience better" - in regards to PCs and Life itself.

Onyx AMD Ryzen 7 7800x3d / MSI 6900xt Gaming X Trio / Gigabyte B650 AORUS Pro AX / G. Skill Flare X5 6000CL36 32GB / Samsung 980 1TB x3 / Super Flower Leadex V Platinum Pro 850 / EK-AIO 360 Basic / Fractal Design North XL (black mesh) / AOC AGON 35" 3440x1440 100Hz / Mackie CR5BT / Corsair Virtuoso SE / Cherry MX Board 3.0 / Logitech G502

7800X3D - PBO -30 all cores, 4.90GHz all core, 5.05GHz single core, 18286 C23 multi, 1779 C23 single

Emma : i9 9900K @5.1Ghz - Gigabyte AORUS 1080Ti - Gigabyte AORUS Z370 Gaming 5 - G. Skill Ripjaws V 32GB 3200CL16 - 750 EVO 512GB + 2x 860 EVO 1TB (RAID0) - EVGA SuperNova 650 P2 - Thermaltake Water 3.0 Ultimate 360mm - Fractal Design Define R6 - TP-Link AC1900 PCIe Wifi

Raven: AMD Ryzen 5 5600x3d - ASRock B550M Pro4 - G. Skill Ripjaws V 16GB 3200Mhz - XFX Radeon RX6650XT - Samsung 980 1TB + Crucial MX500 1TB - TP-Link AC600 USB Wifi - Gigabyte GP-P450B PSU -  Cooler Master MasterBox Q300L -  Samsung 27" 1080p

Plex : AMD Ryzen 5 5600 - Gigabyte B550M AORUS Elite AX - G. Skill Ripjaws V 16GB 2400Mhz - MSI 1050Ti 4GB - Crucial P3 Plus 500GB + WD Red NAS 4TBx2 - TP-Link AC1200 PCIe Wifi - EVGA SuperNova 650 P2 - ASUS Prime AP201 - Spectre 24" 1080p

Steam Deck 512GB OLED

OnePlus: 

OnePlus 11 5G - 16GB RAM, 256GB NAND, Eternal Green

OnePlus Buds Pro 2 - Eternal Green

Other Tech:

- 2021 Volvo S60 Recharge T8 Polestar Engineered - 415hp/495tq 2.0L 4cyl. turbocharged, supercharged and electrified.

Lenovo 720S Touch 15.6" - i7 7700HQ, 16GB RAM 2400MHz, 512GB NVMe SSD, 1050Ti, 4K touchscreen

MSI GF62 15.6" - i7 7700HQ, 16GB RAM 2400 MHz, 256GB NVMe SSD + 1TB 7200rpm HDD, 1050Ti

- Ubiquiti Amplifi HD mesh wifi

25 minutes ago, Commodus said:

I don't think the argument is that hyperbolic.  It's just that you don't want to make it easy for people like that to have a haven online.

The "sunlight is the best disinfectant" strategy doesn't really work online, I've found.  If you allow extremists on mainstream platforms, they just stick to their own kind for real conversations and only interact with other groups when they're sending death threats and harassment.  And if they operate in public in "anything goes" sites like 8chan or Voat, those communities end up primarily attracting people who were either the dregs of society to start with or are on a rapid slide toward that path... they rarely see the light.  Kicking those sites out at least reduces the chances they'll recruit new members.

So making the dregs of society, as you call them, feel hunted will help them onto the path of enlightenment? I somehow doubt it'll improve the situation. In fact it's more likely that they'll explode if they have no outlet at all because they're not welcome anywhere and they won't feel so either. That's the core problem. Basically you've got a rabid dog and you're trapping it in a corner. Good luck with that.

Just now, Trixanity said:

So making the dregs of society, as you call them, feel hunted will help them onto the path of enlightenment? I somehow doubt it'll improve the situation. In fact it's more likely that they'll explode if they have no outlet at all because they're not welcome anywhere and they won't feel so either. That's the core problem. Basically you've got a rabid dog and you're trapping it in a corner. Good luck with that.

There is the potential for that, but at the same time, you also won't have a ready outlet for these extremists to goad each other on and recruit new members into their fold.  There's more than one story of people sliding into extremism after finding a ready outlet for it at sites like this.  Hell, the El Paso shooter may have been one.  He last posted on Twitter in 2017, when he was an enthusiastic Trump supporter; 8chan was apparently his next step.

9 hours ago, poochyena said:

970.png

4Chan is really bad guise lets ban dem!!!1!

In the US, Cloudflare is legally in the right here. The supreme court has upheld a very dangerous precedent that businesses are allowed to refuse service to people/groups they do not agree with. This was harmless and SEEMED like the right move, before I thought more of it I even agreed with the decision of the high court. But, this is what comes of that ruling, exactly this.

4Chan and 8Chan are very tight knit communities, they will not die. They will move from provider to provider to other apps or just set up local meetups. You cannot kill something this essential to some peoples lives without banning it, and we all see how that worked when ANTIFA was brought up to put on the terrorist groups list. 

I don't agree with Cloudflare's decision at all, but in the end all they're is doing is losing money, some provider will wise up and advertise "WE WILL NOT TERMINATE YOUR SERVICE FOR ANY REASON WITHOUT WARNING!", and once Cloudflare oversteps by cutting something a little more socially acceptable they will feel the pain of their actions.

Brands I wholeheartedly reccomend (though do have flawed products): Apple, Razer, Corsair, Asus, Gigabyte, bequiet!, Noctua, Fractal, GSkill (RAM only)

Wall Of Fame (Informative people/People I like): @Glenwing @DrMacintosh @Schnoz @TempestCatto @LogicalDrm @Dan Castellaneta

Useful threads: 

How To Make Your Own Cloud Storage

Spoiler

Guide to Display Cables/Adapters

Spoiler

PSU Tier List (Latest)-

Spoiler

Main PC: See spoiler tag

Laptop: 2020 iPad Pro 12.9" with Magic Keyboard

Spoiler

PCPartPicker Part List: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/gKh8zN

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 3.8 GHz 12-Core OEM/Tray Processor  (Purchased For $419.99) 
Motherboard: Asus ROG Crosshair VIII Formula ATX AM4 Motherboard  (Purchased For $356.99) 
Memory: G.Skill Trident Z RGB 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory  (Purchased For $130.00) 
Storage: Kingston Predator 240 GB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive  (Purchased For $40.00) 
Storage: Crucial MX300 1.05 TB 2.5" Solid State Drive  (Purchased For $100.00) 
Storage: Western Digital Red 8 TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive  (Purchased For $180.00) 
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce RTX 2070 8 GB WINDFORCE Video Card  (Purchased For $370.00) 
Case: Fractal Design Define R6 USB-C ATX Mid Tower Case  (Purchased For $100.00) 
Power Supply: Corsair RMi 1000 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply  (Purchased For $120.00) 
Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer  (Purchased For $75.00) 
Total: $1891.98
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-04-02 19:59 EDT-0400

身のなわたしはる果てぞ  悲しわたしはかりけるわたしは

People use the internet to seek validation and reinforcement of their world view. Services like Twitter are popular partly because they provide the capability to minutely filter the information that users see. Rather than expose people to new ideas, the internet serves to reinforce existing ideas. Closing a particular website will not change this, and I'm not even sure it's a bad thing. People like what they like, and who am I to judge?

Law enforcement probably likes these sites because they provide the opportunity to infiltrate and observe. Every message is recorded, every data packet traced. There is no privacy, no anonymity.

And no easy answers.

42 minutes ago, SenKa said:

In the US, Cloudflare is legally in the right here. The supreme court has upheld a very dangerous precedent that businesses are allowed to refuse service to people/groups they do not agree with. This was harmless and SEEMED like the right move, before I thought more of it I even agreed with the decision of the high court. But, this is what comes of that ruling, exactly this.

So, there's a real legal issue here, that boils down to rights and freedoms.  The supreme court ruled in that way because of examples of small private businesses saying they didn't want to work for specific customers (such as the gays demanding a cake from somebody making wedding cakes that was religiously opposed to gay marriage).  That is an example of freedom of religion and freedom of speech.  Then there's situations like this, which I would call being "in the middle" where CloudFlare is the de-facto option for this sort of distributed service until you are large enough to do your own similar services (akami can do some similar things, in certain situations, for portions of your traffic, but not all).  Cloudflare is obviously a large company, and you could even argue that they're "essential" on the internet today for many sites…but there are other options, and they're still privately owned (they do have a planned IPO though, and are certainly not a "small business" anymore that gets more lax laws for various other things, such as equal opportunity hiring, etc).  Next you get to platforms with real competition (even if not highly used), such as Youtube (vimeo, dailymotion, etc).  This is where it starts to be a really interesting discussion, because they're not only large, they're also public, and the sole purpose of them is to be a media platform.  This is also where you really have the issues of "copyright" vs "free speech" vs "decent for the average audience" vs "we allow kids on here, so limit content" all become nuanced, and likely to have laws created if they aren't already.  Then lastly, you have the "I'm 100% a monopoly" level of things like FaceBook where they're so integrated into EVERYTHING that it is becoming increasingly hard to do business or get people to talk in any other form (I prefer old fashioned e-mail…but most people don't bother to check theirs anymore).  This is the level where the REAL "free speech" argument can be made, because when they're blocking or banning what somebody says that not popular, not allowing links to websites that say similar…they really are effectively stifling the ability to have any meaningful large scale discussion.

Of course…then there's the even larger problem.  Most people can no longer have a discussion and agree that they disagree, but try to work to something they can both agree on as a compromise.  The mass majority have unfortunately been conditioned to think they have freedoms FROM everything that offends them, rather than that they have freedom OF the ability to think and express the views they want, be it majority or minority.  The only time that SHOULD be legally limited (and used to be the actual legal precedent) is when your right of expression steps on somebody else's rights (such as "inciting to violence"…like calling for a mob to go after somebody).

Law makers, and many keyboard warriors, are currently all caught up trying to fight against a simple rule from IT.

"You can't fix sociological problems technologically, and you can't fix technical problems sociologically."

4 hours ago, realpetertdm said:

Yes my cherrypicked example is totally representative of an internet forum known to harbor alt-right racists

I can't speak for 8chan, but for 4chan, what you describe only happens on /pol/ and maybe /b/. The rest of the dozens of boards don't have any more alt-right racists than, say, LTT forums. Lumping all the boards into one really shows you don't know what you are talking about.

Me: My platform I can choose who can and cannot use it - if CloudFare (I don't even keep up with any of this) wants to decide who can and cannot use THEIR service or platform, well - its theirs not yours.  Go make your own.

Workstation Laptop: Dell Precision 7540, Xeon E-2276M, 32gb DDR4, Quadro T2000 GPU, 4k display

Wifes Rig: ASRock B550m Riptide, Ryzen 5 5600X, Sapphire Nitro+ RX 6700 XT, 16gb (2x8) 3600mhz V-Color Skywalker RAM, ARESGAME AGS 850w PSU, 1tb WD Black SN750, 500gb Crucial m.2, DIYPC MA01-G case

My Rig: ASRock B450m Pro4, Ryzen 5 3600, ARESGAME River 5 CPU cooler, EVGA RTX 2060 KO, 16gb (2x8) 3600mhz TeamGroup T-Force RAM, ARESGAME AGV750w PSU, 1tb WD Black SN750 NVMe Win 10 boot drive, 3tb Hitachi 7200 RPM HDD, Fractal Design Focus G Mini custom painted.  

NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 video card benchmark result - AMD Ryzen 5 3600,ASRock B450M Pro4 (3dmark.com)

Daughter 1 Rig: ASrock B450 Pro4, Ryzen 7 1700 @ 4.2ghz all core 1.4vCore, AMD R9 Fury X w/ Swiftech KOMODO waterblock, Custom Loop 2x240mm + 1x120mm radiators in push/pull 16gb (2x8) Patriot Viper CL14 2666mhz RAM, Corsair HX850 PSU, 250gb Samsun 960 EVO NVMe Win 10 boot drive, 500gb Samsung 840 EVO SSD, 512GB TeamGroup MP30 M.2 SATA III SSD, SuperTalent 512gb SATA III SSD, CoolerMaster HAF XM Case. 

https://www.3dmark.com/3dm/37004594?

Daughter 2 Rig: ASUS B350-PRIME ATX, Ryzen 7 1700, Sapphire Nitro+ R9 Fury Tri-X, 16gb (2x8) 3200mhz V-Color Skywalker, ANTEC Earthwatts 750w PSU, MasterLiquid Lite 120 AIO cooler in Push/Pull config as rear exhaust, 250gb Samsung 850 Evo SSD, Patriot Burst 240gb SSD, Cougar MX330-X Case

28 minutes ago, poochyena said:

Lumping all the boards into one really shows you don't know what you are talking about.

White supremacy in one board's thread. LGBT Interracial pornography in another.

One or two boards don't represent the site as a whole

I won't say that Cloudflare did a good thing, but I won't say they didn't, either.

CPU: Core i9 12900K || CPU COOLER : Corsair H100i Pro XT || MOBO : ASUS Prime Z690 PLUS D4 || GPU: PowerColor RX 6800XT Red Dragon || RAM: 4x8GB Corsair Vengeance (3200) || SSDs: Samsung 970 Evo 250GB (Boot), Crucial P2 1TB, Crucial MX500 1TB (x2), Samsung 850 EVO 1TB || PSU: Corsair RM850 || CASE: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini || MONITOR: Acer Predator X34A (1440p 100hz), HP 27yh (1080p 60hz) || KEYBOARD: GameSir GK300 || MOUSE: Logitech G502 Hero || AUDIO: Bose QC35 II || CASE FANS : 2x Corsair ML140, 1x BeQuiet SilentWings 3 120 ||

LAPTOP: Dell XPS 15 7590

TABLET: iPad Pro

PHONE: Galaxy S9

She/they 

23 minutes ago, rcmaehl said:

White supremacy in one board's thread. LGBT Interracial pornography in another.

One or two boards don't represent the site as a whole

Actually, they BOTH represent the site.  The content of ALL the various channels/threads is the site people come to view and discuss, so any content on the site is actually representative of the site.

This is not an attack on any given view/thread/channel/site.  Just a correction in logic.

4 hours ago, Drak3 said:

Here's the thing, to many of the people calling for 4Chan's ban see equal moderation as a lack of it.

Hear hear.

¸„»°'´¸„»°'´ Vorticalbox `'°«„¸`'°«„¸
`'°«„¸¸„»°'´¸„»°'´`'°«„¸Scientia Potentia est  ¸„»°'´`'°«„¸`'°«„¸¸„»°'´

1 hour ago, Tristerin said:

Me: My platform I can choose who can and cannot use it - if CloudFare (I don't even keep up with any of this) wants to decide who can and cannot use THEIR service or platform, well - its theirs not yours.  Go make your own.

Exactly.

This is just capitalism at work.  These companies can choose to drop a customer they feel keeping them is bad for business or bad for their own corporate image.