Lenovo Y50-70 long boot up

Donut417

I have a Lenovo Y50-70 Laptop. It was purchased from Newegg back in 2014, so its an older machine. For the last six months or so I have been using it as a Plex Transcode box, its been working great. I recently had some drama with Windows 10 1903, so I decided instead of upgrading the laptop to the latest version of Windows 10, its upgrade it to the latest Ubuntu LTS edition. I when I rebooted the machine to load from the USB drive it got stuck on a black screen. Power and battery lights were on and the hard drive activity light was blinking but every 3 seconds. After a few reboots, I decided to open the bottom of the machine and disconnect the battery and disconnect the CMOS battery to make sure everything was cleared (BTW for anyone who needs to know, this machine will work without the battery plugged in). I was still having issues, I tried the novo button, its a button right near the power button. I was able to get in to the BIOS finally. I then decided to turn off secure boot to help with the Linux install. Then when I rebooted the whole issue happen again. WTF. Eventually I figured out if I just left the machine in that state, eventually the Lenovo splash screen would appear and it would boot. 

I check online for possible issues. 

1) Could be a courrupted BIOS. However I am able to access the BIOS and the machine does boot eventually, so I figure this is not the issue. 

2) Could be a bad Hard Drive. However, the machine should at least hit the Splash screen to show that is posts. 

3) Bad motherboard. This is what I think it could be, I did look at the part of the motherboard I could see, and it looked fine, but something could be off. 

The machine does seem to be stable once its booted and Linux is installed and Plex does work. Im kinda just looking for an opinion on if you guys think this machine is on its way out. If so decisions have to be made on a replacement. Most likely my current gaming desktop/Daily Driver  will become my new Plex server and Ill just replace my daily driver. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

10 hours ago, Donut417 said:

I have a Lenovo Y50-70 Laptop. It was purchased from Newegg back in 2014, so its an older machine. For the last six months or so I have been using it as a Plex Transcode box, its been working great. I recently had some drama with Windows 10 1903, so I decided instead of upgrading the laptop to the latest version of Windows 10, its upgrade it to the latest Ubuntu LTS edition. I when I rebooted the machine to load from the USB drive it got stuck on a black screen. Power and battery lights were on and the hard drive activity light was blinking but every 3 seconds. After a few reboots, I decided to open the bottom of the machine and disconnect the battery and disconnect the CMOS battery to make sure everything was cleared (BTW for anyone who needs to know, this machine will work without the battery plugged in). I was still having issues, I tried the novo button, its a button right near the power button. I was able to get in to the BIOS finally. I then decided to turn off secure boot to help with the Linux install. Then when I rebooted the whole issue happen again. WTF. Eventually I figured out if I just left the machine in that state, eventually the Lenovo splash screen would appear and it would boot. 

I check online for possible issues. 

1) Could be a courrupted BIOS. However I am able to access the BIOS and the machine does boot eventually, so I figure this is not the issue. 

2) Could be a bad Hard Drive. However, the machine should at least hit the Splash screen to show that is posts. 

3) Bad motherboard. This is what I think it could be, I did look at the part of the motherboard I could see, and it looked fine, but something could be off. 

The machine does seem to be stable once its booted and Linux is installed and Plex does work. Im kinda just looking for an opinion on if you guys think this machine is on its way out. If so decisions have to be made on a replacement. Most likely my current gaming desktop/Daily Driver  will become my new Plex server and Ill just replace my daily driver. 

Any ideas why it takes forever to post and boot? 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn.