why bother with the tab s6

TheBean

why did samsung make the tab s6? the ipad with the pencil is cheaper and is way more useful (1st gen pencil). the apple pencil and ipad are just so good but costs so much less than the s6. why did samsung bother making such an expensive android tablet (which is a slowly dying market).

I get that samsung added some cool features on the new pen, but I doubt those are very useful in real scenarios. 

It probably didn’t cost much to develop considering how many existing products Samsung has.

1 minute ago, Daniel Z. said:

It probably didn’t cost much to develop considering how many existing products Samsung has.

but why spend on r/d at all? if the price is >ipad 99% of people will not buy it. 

android tablets have a bad reputation as it is. 

Edited by Saksham

You're talking about the regular iPad, right?  Not the Pro?

• According to Apple the iPad gets 10 hours of use on a single charge.  Samsung says the Tab gets 15 hours of video playback.  Also, given Apple's history of putting rubbish batteries in their mobile devices I am pretty confident that you'll have replaced the iPad's battery twice (at your own expense, of course) before the Samsung battery wears out.
  • The Tab can be used as a proper laptop with an external display.  That puts it more in competition with the iPad Pro than with the regular iPad.
  • The iPad has 2GB of RAM and up to 128GB of non-expandable storage (Apple's "starting at" price is for the 32GB model, by the way, the 128GB version is $100 more expensive), the Tab's base price is for 6GB of RAM and 128GB of storage, with 8GB/256GB being an option.  Oh, and the Tab takes MicroSD cards up to 1TB for when 256GB is not enough.  
  • On the iPad you're still stuck with a proprietary connector (Lightning), so you need to spend more on whatever cable or device you plan to plug in to the iPad, on the Samsung side you have a proper USB-C like the rest of the world uses.
  • The iPad has top and bottom bezels the size of Texas, and a home button.  The Tab has slim bezels all around and an in-screen fingerprint sensor.
  • The iPad has a 2048x1536 IPS display (264ppi), the Tab has a sharper 2560x1600 AMOLED (287ppi) with HDR10+. 
  • The Tab will apparently come with the stylus, the detachable keyboard and a kickstand.  How much will you spend if you buy the iPad, a keyboard and the Apple Pencil?  

EDIT : Oh, well, might as well look it up on your behalf

- $429 for the 128GB iPad

- $99 for the Pencil

- $99 for the Logitech Slim Folio case with integrated Bluetooth keyboard (closest thing to an official keyboard for the regular iPad)

Yup, that's $627, which means you've paid as much as you did for the Samsung ... while still having fewer features and worse specs. 

Why bother with the iPad?

6 minutes ago, Captain Chaos said:

You're talking about the regular iPad, right?  Not the Pro?

• According to Apple the iPad gets 10 hours of use on a single charge, whereas the Tab gets 15 hours of video playback.  Also, given Apple's history of putting rubbish batteries in their mobile devices I am pretty confident that you'll have replaced the iPad's battery twice (at your own expense, of course) before the Samsung battery wears out.
  • The Tab can be used as a proper laptop with an external display.  That puts it more in competition with the iPad Pro than with the regular iPad.
  • The iPad has 2GB of RAM and up to 128GB of non-expandable storage (Apple's "starting at" price is for the 32GB model, by the way, the 128GB version is $100 more expensive), the Tab's base price is for 6GB of RAM and 128GB of storage, with 8GB/256GB being an option.  Oh, and the Tab takes MicroSD cards up to 1TB for when 256GB is not enough.  
  • On the iPad you're still stuck with a proprietary connector (Lightning), so you need to spend more on whatever cable or device you plan to plug in to the iPad, on the Samsung side you have a proper USB-C like the rest of the world uses.
  • The iPad has top and bottom bezels the size of Texas, and a home button, the Tab has slim bezels all around an in-screen fingerprint sensor.
  • The iPad has a 2048x1536 IPS display (264ppi), the Tab has a sharper 2560x1600 AMOLED (287ppi). 
  • The Tab will apparently come with the stylus and keyboard.  How much will you spend if you buy the iPad, a keyboard and the Apple Pencil?  

Apple doesn’t have bad batteries, in fact I started the day on my XR with 75 percent. 6 hours of SoT later I’m still at 25

Just now, Daniel Z. said:

Apple doesn’t have bad batteries

Tell me about your battery life in a year or so.  That's when Apple usually starts throttling down users' devices to stop them from shutting down whenever they are put under load

10 minutes ago, Captain Chaos said:

Tell me about your battery life in a year or so.  That's when Apple usually starts throttling down users' devices to stop them from shutting down whenever they are put under load

This isn’t true, my mom has used the same iPhone for around 4 years now and it works fine. You can also disable this. Apple simply makes better devices now.

3 hours ago, Daniel Z. said:

This isn’t true, my mom has used the same iPhone for around 4 years now and it works fine. You can also disable this. Apple simply makes better devices now.

If her iPhone is 4 years old, it's an iPhone 6 or older.  Last I heard the iPhone 8 and X are also on the list of devices that are likely to be throttled.  So if there has been any improvement, it has to be in the last year. 

https://www.macworld.com/article/3317689/iphone-8-iphone-x-throttling.html

This stuff doesn't happen with any other brand.  Apple simply cut too many corners in an effort to increase their profit margins and instead of properly fixing the problem (by designing a better battery) they're telling the customers that they can choose if they want their device to slow down after a year or if they want it to shut down under load.

4 hours ago, Captain Chaos said:

I have an iPhone 5s that has not throttled, still has its OG battery with over 80% battery life as reported by Coconut Battery.

Brands I wholeheartedly reccomend (though do have flawed products): Apple, Razer, Corsair, Asus, Gigabyte, bequiet!, Noctua, Fractal, GSkill (RAM only)

Wall Of Fame (Informative people/People I like): @Glenwing @DrMacintosh @Schnoz @TempestCatto @LogicalDrm @Dan Castellaneta

Useful threads: 

How To Make Your Own Cloud Storage

Spoiler

Guide to Display Cables/Adapters

Spoiler

PSU Tier List (Latest)-

Spoiler

Main PC: See spoiler tag

Laptop: 2020 iPad Pro 12.9" with Magic Keyboard

Spoiler

PCPartPicker Part List: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/gKh8zN

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 3.8 GHz 12-Core OEM/Tray Processor  (Purchased For $419.99) 
Motherboard: Asus ROG Crosshair VIII Formula ATX AM4 Motherboard  (Purchased For $356.99) 
Memory: G.Skill Trident Z RGB 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory  (Purchased For $130.00) 
Storage: Kingston Predator 240 GB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive  (Purchased For $40.00) 
Storage: Crucial MX300 1.05 TB 2.5" Solid State Drive  (Purchased For $100.00) 
Storage: Western Digital Red 8 TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive  (Purchased For $180.00) 
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce RTX 2070 8 GB WINDFORCE Video Card  (Purchased For $370.00) 
Case: Fractal Design Define R6 USB-C ATX Mid Tower Case  (Purchased For $100.00) 
Power Supply: Corsair RMi 1000 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply  (Purchased For $120.00) 
Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer  (Purchased For $75.00) 
Total: $1891.98
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-04-02 19:59 EDT-0400

身のなわたしはる果てぞ  悲しわたしはかりけるわたしは

7 hours ago, Saksham said:

the ipad

Android > iOS. 'Nuff said.

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

9 hours ago, WereCatf said:

Android > iOS. 'Nuff said.

its a tablet. what are you really going to use a tablet for that the ipad cant do?

for phones yes, android>ios

3 minutes ago, Saksham said:

what are you really going to use a tablet for that the ipad cant do?

Hm, how about running the Android-apps that I've already bought for my phone? Or something as simple as changing the default browser?

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

34 minutes ago, WereCatf said:

Hm, how about running the Android-apps that I've already bought for my phone? Or something as simple as changing the default browser?

So as usual. it depends on the person. I don't mind the safari browser (IpadOS is going to make it even better). 

I do not buy apps. in fact, many apps I want are only on iOS

1 hour ago, Saksham said:

tab s6 does NOT come with keyboard. 

Apparently it doesn't indeed, I didn't read the small print on the site. 

Still, it does come with the S Pen, so by the time you buy the Apple Pencil the difference in reality is around $100.  That's not much for much better battery life, a better display, more versatility etc.

7 hours ago, WereCatf said:

1: I currently use Chrome on my iPhone and it works just fine. Also, you’re basically saying Android is better because you’ve bought android apps before.

2 hours ago, Daniel Z. said:

1: I currently use Chrome on my iPhone and it works just fine. Also, you’re basically saying Android is better because you’ve bought android apps before.

No, I listed only some of the benefits, I didn't bother listing all the reasons why I think Android is better.

15 hours ago, WereCatf said:

No, I listed only some of the benefits, I didn't bother listing all the reasons why I think Android is better.

iPhones are overall much better. No Android can match the stability, speed, camera, display, and battery of something like the iPhone XR. I used android for a long time and some stuff with it is awful. Both my S7 and my friends Pixel 2 XL are choppy and crash often.

2 minutes ago, Daniel Z. said:

iPhones are overall much better. No Android can match the stability, speed, camera, display, and battery of something like the iPhone XR. I used android for a long time and some stuff with it is awful. Both my S7 and my friends Pixel 2 XL are choppy and crash often.

There's a long list of pros and cons for both platforms, they're about on a level with each other. Deciding between one or the other comes down to budget or personal preference. 

Intel HEDT and Server platform enthusiasts: Intel HEDT Xeon/i7 Megathread 

Main PC 

CPU: i9 7980XE @4.5GHz/1.22v/-2 AVX offset 

Cooler: EKWB Supremacy Block - custom loop w/360mm +280mm rads 

Motherboard: EVGA X299 Dark 

RAM:4x8GB HyperX Predator DDR4 @3200Mhz CL16 

GPU: Nvidia FE 2060 Super/Corsair HydroX 2070 FE block 

Storage:  1TB MP34 + 1TB 970 Evo + 500GB Atom30 + 250GB 960 Evo 

Optical Drives: LG WH14NS40 

PSU: EVGA 1600W T2 

Case & Fans: Corsair 750D Airflow - 3x Noctua iPPC NF-F12 + 4x Noctua iPPC NF-A14 PWM 

Display: LG 27UK650-W (4K 60Hz IPS panel)

Mouse: EVGA X17

Keyboard: Corsair K55 RGB

Mobile/Work Devices: 2020 M1 MacBook Air (work computer) - iPhone 13 Pro Max - Apple Watch S3

Other Misc Devices: iPod Video (Gen 5.5E, 128GB SD card swap, running Rockbox), Nintendo Switch

On 8/3/2019 at 6:44 PM, Captain Chaos said:

My iphone battery has about 1000 cycles, and still retains about 85% of a brand new battery or so. My LG on the other hand, went through a battery in about 4 months before it would shut off at 30%. 

M1 MacBook Air 256/8 | iPhone 13 pro

Just now, RGProductions said:

My iphone battery has about 1000 cycles, and still retains about 85% of a brand new battery or so. My LG on the other hand, went through a battery in about 4 months before it would shut off at 30%. 

Not to mention they now tell you when they're throttling, and you can go to settings > battery > battery health and see the current max cap, if it's throttling or not, and if it is you can disable it and risk random shutoffs for better performance. They fucked up by not telling peeps about it at first, but they've more than fixed that specific mistake. 

Intel HEDT and Server platform enthusiasts: Intel HEDT Xeon/i7 Megathread 

Main PC 

CPU: i9 7980XE @4.5GHz/1.22v/-2 AVX offset 

Cooler: EKWB Supremacy Block - custom loop w/360mm +280mm rads 

Motherboard: EVGA X299 Dark 

RAM:4x8GB HyperX Predator DDR4 @3200Mhz CL16 

GPU: Nvidia FE 2060 Super/Corsair HydroX 2070 FE block 

Storage:  1TB MP34 + 1TB 970 Evo + 500GB Atom30 + 250GB 960 Evo 

Optical Drives: LG WH14NS40 

PSU: EVGA 1600W T2 

Case & Fans: Corsair 750D Airflow - 3x Noctua iPPC NF-F12 + 4x Noctua iPPC NF-A14 PWM 

Display: LG 27UK650-W (4K 60Hz IPS panel)

Mouse: EVGA X17

Keyboard: Corsair K55 RGB

Mobile/Work Devices: 2020 M1 MacBook Air (work computer) - iPhone 13 Pro Max - Apple Watch S3

Other Misc Devices: iPod Video (Gen 5.5E, 128GB SD card swap, running Rockbox), Nintendo Switch

58 minutes ago, RGProductions said:

Wait you're back??