Seamless Minecraft Save Help

TaylorDean16

The "Problem"

So basically what I'm trying to do is create a seamless way to play on my single player Minecraft Java Edition save files between my computers without using a realm (I want to be able to play offline). I'm willing to deal with some strangeness , but basically I want a solution where I won't have to drag files around. Below I'll list the computers I'm trying to do this with as well as other stuff I can use that might be helpful in finding a solution

The Hardware and Software

• PC on Windows 10
  • Macbook (not so) Pro - Bootcamp installed but not preferred 
  • USB thumb drive with USB C and USB A outputs (is outputs the right word? Probably not. Oh well.)
  • Microsoft OneDrive (Provided through school)

Possible Solutions

One possibility could be to make Minecraft runnable from the USB drive that I have, but it would probably be slow especially on my main PC and it still wouldn't solve the issue of needing to move the save file between the mac and windows versions of Minecraft.

Another possibility would be if there was a way to link the Minecraft save directory to a folder in OneDrive, which I'm not sure is possible. I'm pretty sure this would be the best solution, but I wouldn't know how to do it.

Please keep in mind that I would prefer not to have to use bootcamp when I play Minecraft on my Mac, but I can if I need to. Thanks for the help!

Start a server on one of your computers and it will be available to all devices on your home network.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

Just now, TetraSky said:

Start a server on one of your computers and it will be available to all devices on your home network.

Would it work when I leave the house with my laptop though? Basically I'm trying to play on the same world both at home and on the go without using Realms

If you leave the house, you could connect to it whenever your laptop has internet, using your home's IP. (if you've properly routed the ports in your router)

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

Just now, TetraSky said:

If you leave the house, you could connect to it whenever your laptop has internet, using your home's IP. (if you've properly routed the ports in your router)

ahh ok I gotcha

11 minutes ago, TetraSky said:

As long as your internet is fast enough you can run a single player no problem, a few mpbs should be plenty.

And if you do this and need any help port forwarding let me know. :)

PC Specs:

CPU: AMD 1700x Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: Asus Crosshair VI Hero RAM: 4 * 8GB G.Skill RGB DDR4 Graphics: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2 Storage: Samsung 960 EVO 500GB Case: Fractal Design Meshify C PSU: EVGA 750w G3 Monitors: Dell SG2716DG +  2x Dell U2515H

Freenas specs:

CPU: Intel Xeon E5-2650 V2 Cooler: Some noctua cooler Motherboard: Supermicro X9 SRL-F RAM: 8 * 8GB Samsung DDR3 ECC Storage: 6 * 4TB Seagate 7200 RPM RAIDZ2 Controller: LSI H220 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro PSU: EVGA 650w G3

Phone: iPhone 6S 32 GB Space Grey

if you have onedrive, you can just point onedrive to sync the minecraft directory.

14 minutes ago, ThatFlashCat said:

As long as your internet is fast enough you can run a single player no problem, a few mpbs should be plenty.

And if you do this and need any help port forwarding let me know. :)

if it's for one-on-one stuff (and if it's on windows for both sides) you can use teamviewer's point-to-point VPN, it's actually quite reliable.

2 minutes ago, manikyath said:

if it's for one-on-one stuff (and if it's on windows for both sides) you can use teamviewer's point-to-point VPN, it's actually quite reliable.

What would the vpn do in this scenerio?

4 minutes ago, manikyath said:

if you have onedrive, you can just point onedrive to sync the minecraft directory.

So would it keep the minecraft directory the same on both computers assuming they were connected to the internet?

I'll definitely take you up on that offer if I go this route! Thanks!

28 minutes ago, TaylorDean16 said:

So would it keep the minecraft directory the same on both computers assuming they were connected to the internet?

in a sense, any change made on one side, would instantly transmit to any other location, given both sides are connected and have onedrive enabled.

also, copy this for dropbox, google drive, or any other similarly implemented file sharing service.

What about running a server like @TetraSky suggested, but running it on the laptop, then you can connect locally from computers on your network at home or on the laptop from anywhere (even without internet) by joining 'localhost' on the laptop.

why no dark mode?
Current:

Watercooled Eluktronics THICC-17 (Clevo X170SM-G):
CPU: i9-10900k @ 4.9GHz all core
GPU: RTX 2080 Super (Max P 200W)
RAM: 32GB (4x8GB) @ 3200MTs

Storage: 512GB HP EX NVMe SSD, 2TB Silicon Power NVMe SSD
Displays: Asus ROG XG-17 1080p@240Hz (G-Sync), IPS 1080p@240Hz (G-Sync), Gigabyte M32U 4k@144Hz (G-Sync), External Laptop panel (LTN173HT02) 1080p@120Hz

Asus ROG Flow Z13 (GZ301ZE) W/ Increased Power Limit:
CPU: i9-12900H @ Up to 5.0GHz all core
- dGPU: RTX 3050 Ti 4GB

- eGPU: RTX 3080 (mobile) XGm 16GB
RAM: 16GB (8x2GB) @ 5200MTs

Storage: 1TB NVMe SSD, 1TB MicroSD
Display: 1200p@120Hz

Asus Zenbook Duo (UX481FLY):

CPU: i7-10510U @ Up to 4.3 GHz all core
- GPU: MX 250
RAM: 16GB (8x2GB) @ 2133MTs

Storage: 128GB SATA M.2 (NVMe no worky)
Display: Main 1080p@60Hz + Screnpad Plus 1920x515@60Hz

Custom Game Server:

CPUs: Ryzen 7 7700X @ 5.1GHz all core

RAM: 128GB (4x32GB) DDR5 @ whatever it'll boot at xD (I think it's 3600MTs)

Storage: 2x 1TB WD Blue NVMe SSD in RAID 1, 4x 10TB HGST Enterprise HDD in RAID Z1