10 Ways Mac OS is just BETTER

JonoT

Thing is, It's all software and It's only a matter of time until other OS's have similar functions.

You cannot rely on software alone.

Just look at BB, years ago they were way ahead software wise because a lot of things came built-in from the factory that allowed it to differentiate itself from mainly iOS and Android.

FIle transfer over wifi? Check.

Texting from your computer? Check

(tbh quite funny now to think about it because it was a mobile OS but integrated insanely well with the deskop)

But apps filled in the gap between BB and android/iOS and we all know where BB is today.

Imo the thing where Mac OS shines is that it doesn't come with a lot of bloatware compared to Windows and the few apps that are installed by default have a LOT more functionality than their Windows equivalent. Not that I think Mac OS is exactly ahead (it is the best OS when you look at functionality ootb tho). Windows is just insanely far behind.

Reason i say Mac OS isn't really ahead is because the most common Linux desktop distro's (ubuntu, linux mint,...) come with a bunch of apps that don't put it far behind function-wise ootb compared to Mac OS.

If you want my attention, quote meh! D: or just stick an @samcool55 in your post :3

Spying on everyone to fight against terrorism is like shooting a mosquito with a cannon

Could someone elaborate on the "devs" part on Mac (besides the thing that there is Visual Studio for Mac and cross-platform Visual Studio Code). What is it that stands out so much compared to Windows in terms of IDE (not the terminal, shell, command, etc.)?

6 minutes ago, Faisal A said:

@r2724r16 And you lost the argument about the trackpad

I'm not the one who ignored your reply and simply said you lost the argument. Last time I checked, that was you.

CPU: Intel Core i7-950 Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R CPU Cooler: NZXT HAVIK 140 RAM: Corsair Dominator DDR3-1600 (1x2GB), Crucial DDR3-1600 (2x4GB), Crucial Ballistix Sport DDR3-1600 (1x4GB) GPU: ASUS GeForce GTX 770 DirectCU II 2GB SSD: Samsung 860 EVO 2.5" 1TB HDDs: WD Green 3.5" 1TB, WD Blue 3.5" 1TB PSU: Corsair AX860i & CableMod ModFlex Cables Case: Fractal Design Meshify C TG (White) Fans: 2x Dynamic X2 GP-12 Monitors: LG 24GL600F, Samsung S24D390 Keyboard: Logitech G710+ Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum Mouse Pad: Steelseries QcK Audio: Bose SoundSport In-Ear Headphones

1 hour ago, Overl0rd said:

I mean, the title is "10 ways Mac OS is just better" 

I would not say that Bootcamp is a part of MacOS, for example. Or that sharing data between devices is MacOS related (that's more to do with the whole ecosystem, than MacOS itself). 

The title is about Mac OS but the video is about Macs in general, talking about things like the trackpad, boot camp, etc.

Worth changing?

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

1 hour ago, r2724r16 said:

The video is about OS X, not Macs (Mind you, I haven't actually watched it. I'm just assuming this from the title).

Those downsides come with it because you have to buy a Mac to use OSX, unless you're confident enough to get into Hackintosh. OSX is nice and I see why people like it, but personally i'd much rather try a Hackintosh build instead of buying a Mac.

IMHO there is NOTHING about MacOS that can't also be said about Linux.   Installing a mainstream distro on a relatively standard laptop and sticking only to the apps that are fully supported and it will just work.   IF you want a computer that has the OS built in and optimized that exist, even from mainstream suppliers like Dell and HP. 

There is ONE thing you can do in LINUX with a Unix like environment that is not really supported in Mac OSX.   Use NVIDIA CUDA for GPU accelerated task. 

For mobile app and mobile game developers that may not matter.  For hard core engineering, or scientific computing Linux is the way to go for a personal computer. 

The one nice thing about OSX over linux is that it has mainstream corporate backing and is recognized by most people now.  (Though I am sure some Mac Users still get the "Wow what version of Windows is that?" question every once in a while.)

@LinusTech You've mentioned before how including "Apple" or "Mac" in a title of a video can skyrocket it's views.

You put this one out on a Saturday, though, which I'd think would typically mean fewer initial views.

Does the one effect counteract the other? Could this be an experiment?

(Not looking for any inside/private info...I just find when you talk about the...business side if you will...of running a content creation company endlessly fascinating so just curious :D )

🖥️ Motherboard: MSI A320M PRO-VH PLUS  ** Processor: AMD Ryzen 2600 3.4 GHz ** Video Card: Nvidia GeForce 1070 TI 8GB Zotac 1070ti 🖥️
🖥️ Memory: 32GB DDR4 2400  ** Power Supply: 650 Watts Power Supply Thermaltake +80 Bronze Thermaltake PSU 🖥️

🍎 2012 iMac i7 27";  2007 MBP 2.2 GHZ; Power Mac G5 Dual 2GHZ; B&W G3; Quadra 650; Mac SE 🍎

🍎 iPad Air2; iPhone SE 2020; iPhone 5s; AppleTV 4k 🍎

One thing, related to this....

People LOVE Macs.

(likewise, some people LOVE linux)

No one LOVES windows.....people USE windows....they may also "HATE" Macs....but they still don't LOVE Windows.

I've always found that interesting.

🖥️ Motherboard: MSI A320M PRO-VH PLUS  ** Processor: AMD Ryzen 2600 3.4 GHz ** Video Card: Nvidia GeForce 1070 TI 8GB Zotac 1070ti 🖥️
🖥️ Memory: 32GB DDR4 2400  ** Power Supply: 650 Watts Power Supply Thermaltake +80 Bronze Thermaltake PSU 🖥️

🍎 2012 iMac i7 27";  2007 MBP 2.2 GHZ; Power Mac G5 Dual 2GHZ; B&W G3; Quadra 650; Mac SE 🍎

🍎 iPad Air2; iPhone SE 2020; iPhone 5s; AppleTV 4k 🍎

45 minutes ago, Video Beagle said:

People LOVE Macs.

No one LOVES windows.....people USE windows....they may also "HATE" Macs....but they still don't LOVE Windows.

That's true actually xD Everything else has some people on both sides of the extreme when it comes to emotions but I think you're right, no one really loves Windows.  They need it or want it or put up with it for one or more of countless reasons, but it's always far from perfect.

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

47 minutes ago, Video Beagle said:

No one LOVES windows

I love windows 10. and vista. hated 7 and 8 though.

It's all fun and games until someone says the A word. 

Despite what's covered in the video I STILL would rather choose Windows over Mac OS:

1. Better gaming experience (more games plus multi GPU support)

2. Blu ray and 4K playback/burning

3. Ability to use CUDA for encoding work and folding

4. I already own a full Office suite

5. Sound card support when you need digital input and DSD support

6. My choice of Windows version (7,8,10)

7. Works with a LTFS tape drive out of the box

8. More people around me already know how to use it

9. Vastly more software availability and legacy software compatible.

The fact that it's also easier to set up for home networking and 4K/HD media server duties makes Windows the better choice for my needs. And if I do outgrow it there's always CentOS - just a single 10 GPU 4U server can churn through F@H like there's no tomorrow, and stacked with a bunch of drives will also be a perfect media server. And this is on hardware that can connect at 10/20/40 GBE using RJ45. Can't do that with Mac OS.

4 hours ago, tridy said:

Could someone elaborate on the "devs" part on Mac (besides the thing that there is Visual Studio for Mac and cross-platform Visual Studio Code). What is it that stands out so much compared to Windows in terms of IDE (not the terminal, shell, command, etc.)?

Well, when i was doing a javascript and ionic course i had this one colleague that brought along is windows pc (while we used local imacs) and had many problems installing and running packages on homebrew and some node stuff just because it was windows while worked perfectly on mac. And is was pain in the butt when trying to troubleshooting, google kungfu, etc,  

2 hours ago, Video Beagle said:

People LOVE Macs.

Never thought of it but makes sense. I used to own a Windows XP sp2 PC, then went on with macbook pro, imac, iphones..

And i just love it, all mac experience (except thermal throttling ofc, fuck that), i love it.

All of the points Linus talks in this video are spot on; and that said, i do love watching LTT and all of his content (and wish to build a hackintosh soon + buying macbook pro and bootcamp and living in both worlds) but i can't shake the feeling that talking about Apple without a firm stance on neutrality like MKBHD will bite LTT in the butt as the like/dislike ratio shows on this video. 
Maybe they have a plan on how to talk about Apple? Go or leave it? Because, September coming..

-ed

5 hours ago, r2724r16 said:

Noice. You lost the argument above, so you start a completely different one.

I never said that Apple has facial recognition, so I have no idea why you're telling me this. And I'm pretty sure that 99% of people using Windows don't use Windows Hello.

Yeah, I've literally never heard of anyone using windows hello lol..

LTT's Resident Porsche fanboy and nutjob Audiophile.

Main speaker setup is now;

Mini DSP SHD Studio -> 2x Mola Mola Tambaqui DAC's (fed by AES/EBU, one feeds the left sub and main, the other feeds the right side) -> 2x Neumann KH420 + 2x Neumann KH870

(Having a totally seperate DAC for each channel is game changing for sound quality)

I thought the music in this video was a bit too much. Kinda drowned out Linus. Listening on stereo speakers. 

Just watched the video and looking the comments... 

Windows does have "Time Capsule", it iscalled "File History". It's interface won't win any awards being utilitarian, but it does just about the same job.

And Windows does have Virtual Desktops, and does have the trackpad gesture to switch between them.

10 hours ago, Derkoli said:

Yeah, I've literally never heard of anyone using windows hello lol..

Windows Hello is a series of authentication technologies. The 2 popular ones are finger print scanner and facial recognition. 

They are plenty of people who uses Windows Hello, more so in the corporate world. Of course, the requirements are high to provide a nice, fast, accurate, and responsive experience, and as a results, it is mostly found in premium computers rather than on mid ranged and budget systems. So, finding people being able to use it, is limited. If you are a company that isn't cheap with its employees or stuck in the stone ages, then good chance the laptop is Windows Hello ready and used in the company.

Linus, did you steal Dennis's green tetris piece for your set?!

What is actually supposed to go here? Some people put their specs, others put random comments or remarks about themselves or others, and there are a few who put cryptic statements.

Remember kids, if you can force your opinion as fact, then you’ve succeeded!

I don’t understand this forum’s massive disdain for when Apple anything does something better than someone else. I have my qualms but this thread isn’t necessarily about explaining that. It just kinda saddens me.

Check out my guide on how to scan cover art here!

Local asshole and 6th generation console enthusiast.

10 hours ago, theninja35 said:

Me.

It's really disappointing that there's so much of a cult around Windows that the little kids disliking the video and making stupid comments can't even comprehend that Apple and Mac has benefits.

Microsoft good Apple bad.

I disliked the video because it was just sloppy. For example the Virtual desktop part, Windows 10 has had Virtual desktops for a couple of years so this just isn't a reason MacOS is better anymore.

10 hours ago, theninja35 said:

Me.

It's really disappointing that there's so much of a cult around Windows that the little kids disliking the video and making stupid comments can't even comprehend that Apple and Mac has benefits.

Microsoft good Apple bad.

this will be the same microsoft that is trying to use its dominance in the office software space (i.e. office 365) tie their customers to their security solution (i.e. Azure AD) and device management solution (i.e. intune) but _not only_ this, now they think they will try to force us to install and use their janky mobile browser  (i.e. edge) on our (many) iOS devices in order for SSO to work in our responsive web applications!

back to the MS of old, just when I was warming to them.