Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sgt.Mak

Wired speeds capped at 100Mbps

19 minutes ago, Sgt.Mak said:

The 100Mbps connection is either a faulty cable or a negotiation problem in the switch on your router. Can you plug your PC straight into your modem? Do you get full gigabit speeds then? If so, your router is the problem. If not, the cable or network card is.

Posted · Original PosterOP

So I have a CAT 5e cable running from my router to my PC.

I get a max of 100Mbps Download and 50Mbps upload.

But my connection is 250Mbps Down. Which I get on my phone via 5Ghz wifi.

Another desktop with Cat 6 has the same 100Mbps cap.

Router is DIR-853 D-Link.

I thought about getting a new wire.. but if all 4 wired connections are at 100Mbps something else must be causing this?

What's the reported link speed on your wired devices? If the connection across the cable is negotiated at 10/100 speeds, it won't magically become gigabit. 

Are you 100% sure it's Cat5e and not regular Cat5? Is the cable less than 25m/80ft long?

PC Specs - AMD Ryzen 5 3600X MSI B450M Mortar Max 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4-3266 - RX5700XT 660p 1TBGB & 256GB 600p Fractal Define Mini C CM V550 W10 Pro 1903

9 minutes ago, NelizMastr said:

What's the reported link speed on your wired devices? If the connection across the cable is negotiated at 10/100 speeds, it won't magically become gigabit.  

Are you 100% sure it's Cat5e and not regular Cat5? Is the cable less than 25m/80ft long?

Here are the pictures for my adapter settings, speed test and cable markings!

Posted · Best Answer
19 minutes ago, Sgt.Mak said:

The 100Mbps connection is either a faulty cable or a negotiation problem in the switch on your router. Can you plug your PC straight into your modem? Do you get full gigabit speeds then? If so, your router is the problem. If not, the cable or network card is.

PC Specs - AMD Ryzen 5 3600X MSI B450M Mortar Max 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4-3266 - RX5700XT 660p 1TBGB & 256GB 600p Fractal Define Mini C CM V550 W10 Pro 1903

26 minutes ago, NelizMastr said:

Couldn't do directly pc to modem.. so I tried a wire from another system.. found out that the ps4 wire Cat 6 could get max speeds but the ps4 hardware is bad... so I switched cables and I get 240Mbps now.

Ty for the help.