Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
SickBangerzM9

New build for cousin based off tips I found here

Recommended Posts

Posted · Original PosterOP

There seems to be a potential compatibility issue with the chipset but It looks fine to me. This is the max I can spend. Nothing has been purchased yet. Some things Im worried about is if the cooler and card will fit. He's good on operating system and storage. Im skeptical about the compatibility between the nvidia card and the amd cpu, I assumed they don't work well together but multiple people recommended amd. my cousin plays the latest games and this system needs to last him 5-7 years so he needs some good stuff right now to keep up later down the road. any tips on how to keep the same performance while being cheaper? I havent purchased anything

Link to post
Share on other sites

Actually pretty nice! 

My recommendation: Use the stock cooler, its fine for normal and non OC use. Then invest the saved money in 3600Mhz ram or beer :D

OR: when planing to OC, get a better Mobo and a better cooler.


HELP the LTT F@H TEAM FIGHT COVID-19!! Its easy: 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, SickBangerzM9 said:

any particular one in mind? my cousin probably wont oc, so i probably dont need an expensive cooler. 

i am sorry, I changed it to better ram. I mistake the mobo for a different one at first. The one you have is fine!

 

Ok, when he is not owing just use the stock cooler. Its better than any stock cooler before. For stock operation its pretty awesome! sure for absolute silence you need something diferent.

But the Freezer is not that much better at stock speeds


HELP the LTT F@H TEAM FIGHT COVID-19!! Its easy: 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
3 minutes ago, Metallus97 said:

i am sorry, I changed it to better ram. I mistake the mobo for a different one at first. The one you have is fine!

 

Ok, when he is not owing just use the stock cooler. Its better than any stock cooler before. For stock operation its pretty awesome! sure for absolute silence you need something diferent.

But the Freezer is not that much better at stock speeds

could he just oc the ram to get equivalent performance? is 3600mhz that much better?

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, SickBangerzM9 said:

could he just oc the ram to get equivalent performance? is 3600mhz that much better?

in the next days there will be a LTT video about this! Its not THAT big of a difference, few percent, but the price difference should be like 10bucks

when considering to going stock cooler you have that budget :) 


HELP the LTT F@H TEAM FIGHT COVID-19!! Its easy: 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Go with an ATX board. The MAX boards should be due soon so maybe wait for one of those.

This 3000 kit is nice and cheap and should overclock well.

The RTX 2070 makes no sense now that the 2060S is out.

Meshify has better airflow.

Semi modular psu makes cable management a bit easier.

 

 

 


Winter is Coming.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Overall its a solid build. The only thing i'd really change is the power supply, i didn't even know bitfenix made them, its not even modular. I'd go with this one from evga its a few $ cheaper and its semi modular.

https://pcpartpicker.com/product/DmWrxr/evga-bq-600w-80-bronze-certified-semi-modular-atx-power-supply-110-bq-0600-k1

 

You also may have to update the bios on the motherboard. here's some info:

https://www.amd.com/en/support/kb/faq/pa-100

 

12 minutes ago, Metallus97 said:

My recommendation: Use the stock cooler

I'm sorry but i have to disagree, the included wraith stealth cooler is junk, it runs hot and gets loud when you push it. The upgraded cooler will be quieter and allow the cpu to boost higher.

 

40 minutes ago, SickBangerzM9 said:

Im skeptical about the compatibility between the nvidia card and the amd cpu

This is a myth, a internet fallacy. There are no compatibility issues using amd with intel.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, lee32uk said:

Go with an ATX board. The MAX boards should be due soon so maybe wait for one of those.

This 3000 kit is nice and cheap and should overclock well.

The RTX 2070 makes no sense now that the 2060S is out.

Meshify has better airflow.

Semi modular psu makes cable management a bit easier.

yup! but still 3600Mhz is nice

 

 


HELP the LTT F@H TEAM FIGHT COVID-19!! Its easy: 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Metallus97 said:

yup! but still 3600Mhz is nice

 

 

That Ram should easily overclock to 3600. Tools like Ryzen DRAM calc make it a lot easier. 


Winter is Coming.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, SuperCloneRanger said:

I'm sorry but i have to disagree, the included wraith stealth cooler is junk, it runs hot and gets loud when you push it. The upgraded cooler will be quieter and allow the cpu to boost higher.

hm, my GF has one and its runs fairly nice under load. GPU is "louder". Boost won't do much perf improvement.

My recommendation is always to try with stealth (and other TIM!, that also helps it) and if its to low for OP he can sell it and get a aftermarket cooler. Considering the Freezer I won't recommend it, but the BeQuiet shadow rock 2 -> cooler+ quieter at same price


HELP the LTT F@H TEAM FIGHT COVID-19!! Its easy: 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, lee32uk said:

That Ram should easily overclock to 3600. Tools like Ryzen DRAM calc make it a lot easier. 

yes the tool is cool, but I dont think it will go that high (with fast timings). The chips on those sticks are cheap


HELP the LTT F@H TEAM FIGHT COVID-19!! Its easy: 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Metallus97 said:

yes the tool is cool, but I dont think it will go that high (with fast timings). The chips on those sticks are cheap

Except Micron E die has been used to break the world record for overclocking DDR4 ram. 

 

http://investors.micron.com/news-releases/news-release-details/micron-memory-sets-new-ddr4-overclocking-world-record

 

Of course the kit above isn't the same base speed but that shows you the overclocking potential of E die. I have seen people on other forums getting great results with this ram with a Ryzen 3xxx cpu.


Winter is Coming.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, lee32uk said:

Except Micron E die has been used to break the world record for overclocking DDR4 ram. 

 

http://investors.micron.com/news-releases/news-release-details/micron-memory-sets-new-ddr4-overclocking-world-record

 

Of course the kit above isn't the same base speed but that shows you the overclocking potential of E die. I have seen people on other forums getting great results with this ram with a Ryzen 3xxx cpu.

but I guess only with much luck at the silicon lottery. Well my point is just that the price difference between 3000 and 3600 is worth the perf increase w/o OC. Beyond that OC does not help because of infinity fabric. But running on a save XMP (whatever it is called on AMD) and then OCing the CPU is better and wort 10/20 bucks ;)


HELP the LTT F@H TEAM FIGHT COVID-19!! Its easy: 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP

k, heres the changed build based off what people here have said. I think im gonna keep the memory as saving money, even 20 or so dollars is worth more than a tiny boost to ram speed. ill oc when i can. the cooler looks nice so ill keep it. ill oc the cpu for him. i changed the psu, mobo and graphics card. im skeptical on the graphics card change. is the 2060S as good as what i had before?

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Metallus97 said:

but I guess only with much luck at the silicon lottery. Well my point is just that the price difference between 3000 and 3600 is worth the perf increase w/o OC. Beyond that OC does not help because of infinity fabric. But running on a save XMP (whatever it is called on AMD) and then OCing the CPU is better and wort 10/20 bucks ;)

You would have to be extremely unlucky not to get 3600 out of a 3000 kit. Also the cheapest 3600 kit is $77.99 and is CL19. In any case you are not going to see much of a difference between 3000 and 3600 in general usage. 

 

 

https://www.techpowerup.com/review/amd-zen-2-memory-performance-scaling-benchmark/4.html

 


Winter is Coming.

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, SickBangerzM9 said:

k, heres the changed build based off what people here have said. I think im gonna keep the memory as saving money, even 20 or so dollars is worth more than a tiny boost to ram speed. ill oc when i can. the cooler looks nice so ill keep it. ill oc the cpu for him. i changed the psu, mobo and graphics card. im skeptical on the graphics card change. is the 2060S as good as what i had before?

The Corsair TXM is a better psu. That EVGA one is pretty crap.

 

The 2060S is pretty much the same performance as a 2070 for less money.


Winter is Coming.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Winter is Coming.

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, SickBangerzM9 said:

ok. does everything else look good in your eyes? im ordering the parts for him on friday.

Yes but I prefer the Meshify for the better airflow. Also see if you can get an ETA on the MAX version of the Tomahawk board from your retailer. They are supposedly due out any time soon. They come with an up to date bios so no need to so bios flashback. 

 

https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/B450-TOMAHAWK-MAX


Winter is Coming.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


×