Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
IoWii

New build with a ryzen 3rd gen

Posted · Original PosterOP

Hello, I am planning a computer to build this summer, this is where i left it at:

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600 3.6 GHz 6-Core Processor  
Motherboard: Gigabyte B450 Aorus Elite 
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX black 16GB 3000MHz
Storage: Kingston 480gb ssd
Video Card: Sapphire RX 590 NITRO+
Case: Thermaltake Versa J22
Power Supply: be quiet! System Power 9 600W

I am pretty happy with where i got it, the only two questions I have are, is the 590 worth around 40EUR more over the 580? This 590 currenlty costs 230EUR. How is the motherboard VRM quality, I have read somewhere that Gigabyte and Asus dissapointed in this department and the MSI Tomahawk B450 is much better in terms of VRM quality, how is with updating the BIOS to the latest one for 3rd gen on these B450 boards without a 2nd or 1st gen CPU?

Thanks for the help!

4 minutes ago, IoWii said:

Hello, I am planning a computer to build this summer, this is where i left it at:

Motherboard: Gigabyte B450M Aorus Elite 

I am pretty happy with where i got it, the only two questions I have are, is the 590 worth around 40EUR more over the 580? This 590 currenlty costs 230EUR. How is the motherboard VRM quality, I have read somewhere that Gigabyte and Asus dissapointed in this department and the MSI Tomahawk B450 is much better in terms of VRM quality, how is with updating the BIOS to the latest one for 3rd gen on these B450 boards without a 2nd or 1st gen CPU?

Thanks for the help!

What’s your total budget, country and main use? 

Spoiler

Main Rig: 

AMD Athlon II X4 650 at 3.1GHz [4 cores, 4 threads] 

Foxconn Alvorix RS-880-uATX

Radeon HD 4200 iGPU

2x4GB Generic 1600MHz DDR3

Seagate Firecuda 2TB 

Seagate Barracuda 1TB

Corsair CX500 (move along...)

HP Pavilion Case

Windows 10 Home, Pop! OS and Linux Mint 64-Bit

32 Inch Samsung TV 1366 by 768 60Hz

Spoiler

Laptop #1

HP G56

Celeron 900 at 2.2GHz

Intel 4500MHD 

2x2GB Generic 800MHz DDR2

120GB Samsung 850 EVO SSD

Linux Mint 64-Bit 

Spoiler

Consoles:

Nintendo Switch 32GB Red/Blue Joy-Cons HAC 001-01 (The revision with better battery life) 

Original PS4 500GB Matte Black (With 2TB WD Elements External Hard Drive) 

Spoiler

Mobile Devices:

iPad Air 2 64GB Space Grey [running iPadOS 13.1]

iPhone 11 64GB (Product) Red [iOS 13.1]

ok, maybe I use night theme a little

Mother board: big stores open and update for you if you ask (just if you buy ,they won't update if you buy somewhere else, probably i just never heard of it). I have a Gigabyte MB and i like the quality, and i had 2 MSI MB, they wasn't bad (they where really good), but i liked more Gigabyte. I never saw that model so there's the chance that this one is beter than Gigabyte

9 minutes ago, IoWii said:

Is it the A400? if so get a Crucial BX500 instead, it costs the same but it's far more reliable.

Workstation Rig:
CPU:  Intel Core i9 9900K @5.0ghz  |~| Cooling: beQuiet! Dark Rock 4 |~|  MOBO: Asus Z390M ROG Maximus XI GENE |~| RAM: 32gb 3333mhz CL15 G.Skill Trident Z RGB |~| GPU: nVidia TITAN V  |~| PSU: beQuiet! Dark Power Pro 11 80Plus Platinum  |~| Boot: Intel 660p 2TB NVMe |~| Storage: 2X4TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Iron Wolf + 2X2TB SSD SanDisk Ultra |~| Case: Cooler Master Case Pro 3 |~| Display: Acer Predator X34 3440x1440p100hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Personal Use Rig:
CPU: Intel Core i9 9900 @4.75ghz |~| Cooling: beQuiet! Shadow Rock Slim |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z390M Gaming mATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3400mhzCL15 Viper Steel |~| GPU: nVidia Founders Edition RTX 2080 Ti |~| PSU: beQuiet! Straight Power 11 80Plus Gold  |~|  Boot:  Intel 660p 2TB NVMe |~| Storage: 2x2TB SanDisk SSD Ultra 3D |~| Case: Cooler Master Case Pro 3 |~| Display: Viotek GN34CB 3440x1440p100hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

HTPC / "Console of the house":

CPU: Intel Core i7 8700 @4.45ghz |~| Cooling: Cooler Master Hyper 212X |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z370M D3H mATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: nVidia Founders Edition GTX 1080 Ti |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.
1 minute ago, star_pilot475 said:

What’s your total budget, country and main use? 

This builds costs 790EUR, just under my 800-850 EUR mark where I want it to be. I dont know where i will order, maybe from Austria  or my home country where prices are a little bit higher, its left to be decided (the same build costs around 50EUR more when shopping here). Main use is at this moment strictly gaming, later down the road, probably something productive, as this is for my younger brother, which currently does not do any productivity. 

1 minute ago, Princess Luna said:

Is it the A400? if so get a Crucial BX500 instead, it costs the same but it's far more reliable.

Yes it is the a400, thanks for the heads up

5 minutes ago, BurstHearts said:

Mother board: big stores open and update for you if you ask (just if you buy ,they won't update if you buy somewhere else, probably i just never heard of it).

Im ordering online.

4 minutes ago, IoWii said:

Im ordering online.

Depend of the store, the biggest stores in my country do it (some small too), and they only sell online, they have no phisical store

Short Term Processor Loan Boot Kit

AMD will offer affected and qualified users (as described below) an AMD Athlon 200GE Processor, including thermal solution, for short-term use ("boot kit") to perform the BIOS update on their motherboard.

This short-term processor loan or boot kit is offered through AMD warranty services and is available only for qualified users that:

1. Have made a valid purchase of a 3rd Gen Ryzen™ Desktop Processor and;
  2. Are unable to boot that processor because the user’s current X470/B450 BIOS must be upgraded first.

This service is free of charge with the following condition:

Once you have submitted your claim for a processor loan boot kit, AMD will require pictures of your 3rd  Gen Ryzen™ Desktop Processor and AMD Socket AM4 400 Series motherboard, which clearly shows the model numbers and unique serial numbers as well as a copy of the purchase invoice(s) to authorize the request. Additionally, a summary or copy of communication with the motherboard manufacturer is requested to indicate why support from the Original Design Manufacturer (ODM) is not suitable.

Once the RMA request is approved, the AMD Athlon 200GE processor will be sent with pre-paid return shipping. The processor is provided as a temporary loan to you for the sole purpose of updating the BIOS and must be returned within 10 business days of receipt. It is not necessary to return the provided thermal solution.

To obtain the boot kit, please carefully follow these instructions:

https://www.amd.com/en/support/kb/faq/pa-100#faq-Short-Term-Processor-Loan-Boot-Kit

55 minutes ago, IoWii said:

Motherboard: Gigabyte B450 Aorus Elite 

Thanks for the help!

Replace the SSD if it's a A400 with something like a BX500 or Silicon Power A58, and consider replacing the RX 590 for a GTX 1660.

Helpful Links: PSU Tier List 4.0 | Why not group reg? | Avoid the EVGA G3 | EVGA BR/BT? no. noooo. | buy (almost) anything except focus

Helios EVO (Main):

Intel Core™ i7-8700K (Won at LTX, signed by Dennis) | 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws V DDR4-3200 | GIGABYTE Z370 AORUS GAMING 5 | Sapphire NITRO+ AMD RX VEGA 64 | NZXT H510 | GIGABYTE G750H PSU | MasterLiquid ML240L

Pacific Spirit XT - Server(CPU signed by Dennis!) 

Intel Core™ i7-4720HQ (Taobao Special) | Asus MAXIMUS VI Formula | 8GB G.Skill Ripjaws IV DDR3-1600 | MSI ARMOR AMD R7 370 2G | Define C TG | Corsair CX450M | Stock Cooler

Laptop (Legion Y7000)

Spoiler

i5 8300H | 16GB RAM | 256GB SSD | 1TB HDD | 1050 Ti | Power Brick

Intel is bringing DDR4 to the mainstream with the Intel® Core™ i5 6600K and i7 6700K processors. Learn more by clicking the link in the description below.

2 hours ago, BigBlackRat said:

Short Term Processor Loan Boot Kit

AMD will offer affected and qualified users (as described below) an AMD Athlon 200GE Processor, including thermal solution, for short-term use ("boot kit") to perform the BIOS update on their motherboard.

This short-term processor loan or boot kit is offered through AMD warranty services and is available only for qualified users that:

1. Have made a valid purchase of a 3rd Gen Ryzen™ Desktop Processor and;
  2. Are unable to boot that processor because the user’s current X470/B450 BIOS must be upgraded first.

This service is free of charge with the following condition:

Once you have submitted your claim for a processor loan boot kit, AMD will require pictures of your 3rd  Gen Ryzen™ Desktop Processor and AMD Socket AM4 400 Series motherboard, which clearly shows the model numbers and unique serial numbers as well as a copy of the purchase invoice(s) to authorize the request. Additionally, a summary or copy of communication with the motherboard manufacturer is requested to indicate why support from the Original Design Manufacturer (ODM) is not suitable.

Once the RMA request is approved, the AMD Athlon 200GE processor will be sent with pre-paid return shipping. The processor is provided as a temporary loan to you for the sole purpose of updating the BIOS and must be returned within 10 business days of receipt. It is not necessary to return the provided thermal solution.

To obtain the boot kit, please carefully follow these instructions:

https://www.amd.com/en/support/kb/faq/pa-100#faq-Short-Term-Processor-Loan-Boot-Kit

Does this apply only for USA or Europe aswell?

1 hour ago, LienusLateTips said:

Replace the SSD if it's a A400 with something like a BX500 or Silicon Power A58, and consider replacing the RX 590 for a GTX 1660.

Will do as someone already suggested, is there any difference between a 1660 and 590? Reputable brands such as Gigabyte,MSI, are atleast 50 EUR more over the Sapphire 590.

1 hour ago, IoWii said:

Will do as someone already suggested, is there any difference between a 1660 and 590? Reputable brands such as Gigabyte,MSI, are atleast 50 EUR more over the Sapphire 590.

Oh, no then. In some places, they cost the same, and the GTX 1660 has similar performance and consumes less power. Carry on with the 590.

Helpful Links: PSU Tier List 4.0 | Why not group reg? | Avoid the EVGA G3 | EVGA BR/BT? no. noooo. | buy (almost) anything except focus

Helios EVO (Main):

Intel Core™ i7-8700K (Won at LTX, signed by Dennis) | 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws V DDR4-3200 | GIGABYTE Z370 AORUS GAMING 5 | Sapphire NITRO+ AMD RX VEGA 64 | NZXT H510 | GIGABYTE G750H PSU | MasterLiquid ML240L

Pacific Spirit XT - Server(CPU signed by Dennis!) 

Intel Core™ i7-4720HQ (Taobao Special) | Asus MAXIMUS VI Formula | 8GB G.Skill Ripjaws IV DDR3-1600 | MSI ARMOR AMD R7 370 2G | Define C TG | Corsair CX450M | Stock Cooler

Laptop (Legion Y7000)

Spoiler

i5 8300H | 16GB RAM | 256GB SSD | 1TB HDD | 1050 Ti | Power Brick

Intel is bringing DDR4 to the mainstream with the Intel® Core™ i5 6600K and i7 6700K processors. Learn more by clicking the link in the description below.