i3 9100 vs R5 2600 for 7 y/o birthday gaming rig

3 minutes ago, G00fySmiley said:

that aoris does, but it is just a small bit. maybe not worth the $40 but really its still in budget and would make him happy he can "show off" (also being honest will look cooler in htpc though i will never admit that and blame it on the kid forever) 

https://pcpartpicker.com/user/G00fySmiley/saved/Z8wjpg

no storage though? lol

Just now, Epimetheus said:

no storage though? lol

in the OP, already have a 1tb SSD, and have a few wd 4tb black drives for bulk storage if he fills that up also monitor and io already covered. 

4 minutes ago, G00fySmiley said:

in the OP, already have a 1tb SSD, and have a few wd 4tb black drives for bulk storage if he fills that up also monitor and io already covered. 

sorry completely forgot lol

13 minutes ago, G00fySmiley said:

I suppose all things considered you have your build right there, certainly better than the original i3 9100F route, hope it makes your son very happy, cheers!

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

15 minutes ago, Princess Luna said:

I suppose all things considered you have your build right there, certainly better than the original i3 9100F route, hope it makes your son very happy, cheers!

thanks! you helped a lot :) 

fun fact its his insistence on why I have Razer phone 2 instead of the ASUS gaming phone. though i liked the 120hz screen better than the 90hz so it was not too hard to talk me into. 

so... after getting parts last night and talking to the wife things changed a bit. I did not pay nearly as much as the pc parts picker list shows the R7 2700x on newegg was on sale for $30 less than a 2700x normal (yes i knwo they are the same processor) and with a combo deal I got the ASUS ROG Strix X470-F for $310 as oppossed to the 2600 and b450 mobo for $282. (probably worth the ~$30 upgrade. 

https://pcpartpicker.com/user/G00fySmiley/saved/#view=Z8wjpg

talked the wife into letting the kid use a tempered glass case. so he is getting the DIYPC trio rgb that he wants and we are 3d printing some things to customize it for him. 

this ended up downgrading him in GPU to a GTX 1650 that with rebate and coupon code he is getting an ROG strix 1650 for $123 

Normally i would veto the downgrade GPU, but the wife decided she wants a rig upgrade to (i5 4something k on a mATX gigabyte mobo and a GTS 450) she occationally plays heroes of the storm but mostly just does adobe illustrator for drawing and web tasks. So She will be inheriting his card when we redo her PC for Xmas and My son will be getting a RTX 2060 Super or 5700 xt depending on sales for Xmas

The decision on the R7 2700x is the i5 4___k system with gts 450 will become the new HTPC replacing the old AMD 955 black edition based one we are currently using. 

Very glad you guys advised against i3 though. I think he will be happy with this system