"Five Eyes" issue statement against end-to-end encryption, demand backdoors

Delicieuxz
On 7/31/2019 at 2:25 AM, comander said:

It's stuff like this which makes me critical of the world's governments. 

I trust big tech more than big government and I have my share of criticisms (and also compliments) about big tech. 

Rest assured, if it was financially beneficial, tech companies would gladly share your data with governments, like they do anybody else willing to pay for it.

Two sides of the same coin, IMO. Politicians and tech companies desire the same things: money and power.

Worse than even ALL the aforementioned ones I did read on this list, Cisco's LEO back-doors have already been found and used by hackers. It will happen the more we put in so we will see governments hacked MUCH easier and companies ruined for it. This is hilarious. They dont even recognize it'll happen but seem to assume ONLY they will know of them.

On 8/2/2019 at 1:50 AM, AkatsukiKun said:

Uh they can eat shit for all I care, you might as well give them copies to the key of your house at this point

They have a special key that can open almost any door. You will need a new door afterwards...

i will continue to implement end to end encryption.... use PFS ciphers for extra protection. 

everyone has a duty to protect there customers information.

all these leaks about spying has made the internet more secure and all sites pretty much now use TLS by default.

if NSA or other government agencies want your information there is other ways to get it.

one way is to go to a judge and request a warrant rather than this mass surveillance and bulk collection.

1 hour ago, tech.guru said:

i will continue to implement end to end encryption.... use PFS ciphers for extra protection. 

everyone has a duty to protect there customers information.

all these leaks about spying has made the internet more secure and all sites pretty much now use TLS by default.

if NSA or other government agencies want your information there is other ways to get it.

one way is to go to a judge and request a warrant rather than this mass surveillance and bulk collection.

Actually, the point of contention being raised is that encrypted information is immune to even a judicial subpoena. A Judge's warrant is entirely worthless if the served party doesn't give up the encryption keys. ;)

My eyes see the past…

My camera lens sees the present…

1 minute ago, Zodiark1593 said:

Actually, the point of contention being raised is that encrypted information is immune to even a judicial subpoena. A Judge's warrant is entirely worthless if the served party doesn't give up the encryption keys. ;)

Doesn't American law prohibit access to the mind's information? Isn't it something that you can't give information that isn't available materially? If they want to unencrypt files, they have to work for it. 

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K

CPU Cooler: be quiet! - PURE ROCK 
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 
Motherboard: ASRock Z370 Extreme4
Memory: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 2x8GB 3200/14
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive 
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
Storage: Western Digital - BLACK SERIES 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: EVGA - 970 SSC ACX (1080 is in RMA)
Case: Fractal Design - Define R5 w/Window (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA P2 750W with CableMod blue/black Pro Series
Optical Drive: LG - WH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer 
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit and Linux Mint Serena
Keyboard: Logitech - G910 Orion Spectrum RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech - G502 Wired Optical Mouse
Headphones: Logitech - G430 7.1 Channel  Headset
Speakers: Logitech - Z506 155W 5.1ch Speakers

11 minutes ago, ARikozuM said:

Doesn't American law prohibit access to the mind's information? Isn't it something that you can't give information that isn't available materially? If they want to unencrypt files, they have to work for it. 

There is an exception if the information sought is already reasonably known, in which case there is already precedence of the defendant being held in contempt. Forgetting the password or destroying written passwords where encrypted information could reasonably have been used as evidence could be seen as destruction of evidence as well.

Otherwise, contents of the mind are off limits. Doesn't change the fact that a defendant has ultimate control over access to encrypted data, Judge's order or not.

IE, a Judge can demand I decrypt crucial evidence all he wants. If I'm the sole holder of the password, can choose to take the consequence and tell the Judge to "Eff Off" if I so desire.

My eyes see the past…

My camera lens sees the present…

1 minute ago, Zodiark1593 said:

There is an exception if the information sought is already reasonably known, in which case there is already precedence of the defendant being held in contempt. Forgetting the password or destroying written passwords where encrypted information could reasonably have been used as evidence could be seen as destruction of evidence as well.

Otherwise, contents of the mind are off limits. Doesn't change the fact that a defendant has ultimate say in what happens to encrypted data, Judge's order or not.

but for example with perfect forward security the point is it generates another ephemeral  key and its only valid for a short period of time and changes. even if we were to hand over the private key it wouldnt allow the decryption of past data as the private key isnt enough to decrypt data.

i dont understand why they have an issue with it, USA shouldnt have any jurisdiction over another countries systems.

its funny they dont see the harm they are causing, alot of global companies and governments fear going to the cloud because of the data sovereignty issues.

people have a right to protect their information from foreign governments where we are not protected by our countries laws and privacy rules. as a non us citizen i have no protections how do i know they not selling that information to pharmaceutical, insurance companies to fund their big warehouse of data.

would anyone be surprised if they already had backdoors from it's inception & this is just a fad show.

Details separate people.