Ryzen 5 3600x & Asus Strix B450-I *Potential Issue*

Hi all, 

I am thinking about purchasing the Ryzen 5 3600x & Asus Strix B450-I Mini ITX for my upcoming Lan Build.

Now here is where you tell me it'll be a pain or its simple... 

I understand that a bios update will have to be done so that the motherboard can accept the Zen2 chip and work together. 

https://www.asus.com/uk/Motherboards/ROG-STRIX-B450-I-GAMING/HelpDesk_BIOS/ )

https://www.asus.com/uk/Motherboards/ROG-STRIX-B450-I-GAMING/HelpDesk_CPU/ )

Using the above website I have worked out that I will need to have at least bios 2301 on the motherboard for this chip to work.

Now;

A. What bios version is the board likely to ship with? Or does it vary?

B. Will I be able to use a USB Drive to put the correct bios on the board baring in mind it will be a new build with no access to cpu or windows? (Obviously this only applies if it ships with a bios before 2301.)

If you have any tips or useful videos etc to help out that would be great. I am just struggling to get my head around it as my current "home" build was just plug and play when it came to cpu and mobo. 

Thanks in advance!

Jacob

Case: Lian-Li PC-011 Dynamic  CPUi7-7700k (4.8ghz) CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Case Fans: 5x ML120 RGB / 2x LL120  GPU: Aorus RTX 2080 Xtreme Motherboard: ASUS ROG STRIX Z270H RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro DDR4 (3200mhz) Storage: 2x 1TB SG Barracuda, 128gb BiWin M.2 SSD PSU: Corsair RM650x OS: Windows 10 

You'll need to get a 1st/2nd gen CPU to do the upgrade. BUT. AMD provides a free "boot kit" with a starter CPU that you just use to update your bios, then you send it back (shipping included)

You can get that boot kit here with your serial and part number once you get your CPU in the mail. 
https://www.amd.com/en/support/kb/faq/pa-100

My rig:

CPU: Ryzen 5 3600 3.6Ghz, OC'ed to 4.2Ghz all core @ 1.25v + Corsair H60 120mm AIO

MB: Gigabyte B450 I Aorus Pro WiFi

RAM: Kingston Fury Beast RGB 32GB (2x16GB) 3600mhz CL16 (1-to-1 Infinity Fabric enabled)

GPU: Gigabyte RTX 2080 Super

*bought for $200 CAD off a friend who needed an RTX 3080, price was my reward.

CASE: InWinn A1 Plus in White with included 600w gold sfx PSU and included custom length cables

DISPLAY: 3x 20" AOC 1080p 60hz 4ms ,  32" RCA 1080p/60hz TV mounted above, all on a single arm.

Storage: C : 1TB WD Blue NVMe      D : 2TB Barracuda      E: 240GB Kingston V300 (scratch drive)

NAS: 240GB Kingston A400 + 6x 10+ year old 700GB Barracuda drives in my old FX8350+8GB DDR3 system

Logitech G15 1st Gen + Logitech G602 Wireless

Steam Controller +  Elite Series 2 controller + Logitech G29 Racing Wheel + Wingman Extreme Digital 3D Flight Stick

Sennheiser HD 4.40 Headphones + Pixel Buds 2 + Logitech Z213 2.1 Speakers

My Girlfriends Weeb-Ass Rig:

Razer Blade Pro 17 2020

10th Gen i7 10875H 8c/16t @5.1ghz 

17.3" 1080p 300Hz 100% sRGB, factory calibrated, 6mm bezel

RTX 2070 Max-Q 8GB

512GB generic NVMe

16GB (2x8GB) DDR4 3200Mhz

Wireless-AX201 (802.11a/b/g/n/ac/ax), Bluetooth® 5.1, 2.5Gbit Ethernet

70.5 Whr Battery

Razer Huntsman Quartz, Razer Balistic Quartz, Razer Kraken Quartz Kitty Heaphones

*deep breath*

Razer Raptor 27" monitor, IT'S BEAUTIFUL.

2 hours ago, GoldenLag said:

That was my next option...

Although £100 doesn't seem "little" to me, but I mean we all look at things differently, 

Apart from working straight out of the box, is it worth £100 more????

Case: Lian-Li PC-011 Dynamic  CPUi7-7700k (4.8ghz) CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Case Fans: 5x ML120 RGB / 2x LL120  GPU: Aorus RTX 2080 Xtreme Motherboard: ASUS ROG STRIX Z270H RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro DDR4 (3200mhz) Storage: 2x 1TB SG Barracuda, 128gb BiWin M.2 SSD PSU: Corsair RM650x OS: Windows 10 

2 hours ago, Chronified said:

You'll need to get a 1st/2nd gen CPU to do the upgrade. BUT. AMD provides a free "boot kit" with a starter CPU that you just use to update your bios, then you send it back (shipping included)

You can get that boot kit here with your serial and part number once you get your CPU in the mail. 
https://www.amd.com/en/support/kb/faq/pa-100

That's bloody good service from AMD on that one.

That seems like a bit of a pain in the bum to do though, I guess its do that or spend an extra £100 :o 

What do you reckon the lead times are? couple weeks?

16 minutes ago, Jaminahat said:

That was my next option...

Although £100 doesn't seem "little" to me, but I mean we all look at things differently, 

Apart from working straight out of the box, is it worth £100 more????

I mean, wifi 6. A overkill VRM. Its a pretty good board.

I was working of US pricing.

While the strix is nice. You can get a lot of the same performance as it from a lower price level. 

The x570 will allow you to run 16 core no problem.

15 minutes ago, Jaminahat said:

What do you reckon the lead times are? couple weeks?

Probably along those lines. You can check if local stores have a bootkit to borrow. Probably pay soem deposit and borrow it. 

Either board is fine.

• 4 months later...
1 hour ago, Tenma White said:

$80+ is not "little more".

This is a 5 month old thread. 

And it was allready pointed out......... And i apologised for using US pricing instead of UK. Where the asus board was a touch overpriced. 

If it was to get the better board. That asus board isnt really the solution either. Its the b450i MSI board i cant recall the name of. 

5 hours ago, GoldenLag said:

This is a 5 month old thread. 

And it was allready pointed out......... And i apologised for using US pricing instead of UK. Where the asus board was a touch overpriced. 

If it was to get the better board. That asus board isnt really the solution either. Its the b450i MSI board i cant recall the name of. 

Only good/decent thing in the MSI board is vrm and nothing else.

38 minutes ago, Tenma White said:

Only good/decent thing in the MSI board is vrm and nothing else.

its also got intel wifi. 

and usually cheaper. 

the only thing id perhaps want from the strix board is the extra fan header. though id rather not want to deal with the awkward sata layout.