are free windows activators ilegal

52 minutes ago, will4623 said:

to? it has gotten better.

not when i abandoned it in 2018, no, gpu refused to show fonts larger than 2 pixels, wifi refused to work, partition problems, problems with a scanner and other stuff that told me that it was enough

i cant say i dont miss it, but i need to use my pc, not troubleshoot endlessly kernels, mesa, drivers partitions and wifi every time i need to use my pc

Regardless of legality, applications you have to run, especially if they have to run with elevated privileges, to get around DRM schemas from rando hacking groups I tend to avoid as a security precaution. If they're willing to screw over a company, I'm going to assume they're willing to screw over me as well with something.

8 hours ago, goto10 said:

the problem with linux is always hardware support, always something gives problems, or gpu has problems, or wifi card, or fans spin too fast, or something else

laptops are worse

i stopped using linux a couple years ago for that reason, as much as i like linux i cant waste my time and money buying hardware that will work on linux or making hardware work on linux

I've had those experiences too,  mostly it is with generic parts (ebay plugin cards like wifi etc) as they are only designed to work with windows.   But for the most part in the last few years it has really come along.  If you don't do anything too elaborate the worse thing is the learning curve (no body likes change let alone committing it to memory). 

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

11 minutes ago, mr moose said:

I've had those experiences too,  mostly it is with generic parts (ebay plugin cards like wifi etc) as they are only designed to work with windows.   But for the most part in the last few years it has really come along.  If you don't do anything too elaborate the worse thing is the learning curve (no body likes change let alone committing it to memory). 

in the last years? lol!

i have been using linux since 1998! imagine how much crap i had to dealt with!

what discouraged me alot was find a simple gt1030 having problems and after installing latest kernel and latest driver and still have the same problems, well, one needs a pc to use it, not to troubleshoot it all the time

perhaps later i will reassemble a linux only pc, try linux mint, mageia, something new perhaps, but for the moment all i use id gparted iso and other linux tool in a liveusb, 

Just now, goto10 said:

in the last years? lol!

i have been using linux since 1998! imagine how much crap i had to dealt with!

what discouraged me alot was find a simple gt1030 having problems and after installing latest kernel and latest driver and still have the same problems, well, one needs a pc to use it, not to troubleshoot it all the time

perhaps later i will reassemble a linux only pc, try linux mint, mageia, something new perhaps, but for the moment all i use id gparted iso and other linux tool in a liveusb, 

I have been using Linux on and off for as long too.  I swapped back to windows for various reasons. My first Linux was debian,  I set it up as a file server, after that I have run several versions of Ubuntu (main desktop for years) and dedicated media servers. I still run a Linux machine solely for reading SD cards because I find windows unreliable (and exFAT32 is proprietary MS format ?).  I had to swap my workshop PC back to windows because I couldn't get the internet working out there on the card I bought, Linux works fine on every laptop I have installed it on going back quite a few years.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

20 hours ago, FuzeLight said:

are those legal

Let's see, it allows you to use a product for which you have no license. What do you think?

Furthermore, even it was legal, it's still both a shitty and stupid thing to do. Especially considering the fact that the cost of a Windows license pales in comparison to the cost of the hardware and other software (think large Steam library).

1 hour ago, TheDelphiDude said:

Let's see, it allows you to use a product for which you have no license. What do you think?

Furthermore, even it was legal, it's still both a shitty and stupid thing to do. Especially considering the fact that the cost of a Windows license pales in comparison to the cost of the hardware and other software (think large Steam library).

I always bitch and whinge about the retail cost of windows, but when we consider it works out to $20 a year (over the average life span using a shop bought retail version), we probably waste that on uneaten take away.  Also some of us put $120 of petrol in out cars every 3 weeks.  so if you want to consider running costs it's pretty low on the scale of things.

46 minutes ago, mr moose said:

I always bitch and whinge about the retail cost of windows, but when we consider it works out to $20 a year (over the average life span using a shop bought retail version), we probably waste that on uneaten take away.  Also some of us put $120 of petrol in out cars every 3 weeks.  so if you want to consider running costs it's pretty low on the scale of things.

no, that cost you mention there applies only to some countries, for example where i live that oem is nowhere to ve found, only the professional version, that version cost around 230 dollars, minimum wage here is 300 dollars, per month

everything is relative

windows should be free, without the watermark of course, it is free with the watermark

19 minutes ago, goto10 said:

no, that cost you mention there applies only to some countries, for example where i live that oem is nowhere to ve found, only the professional version, that version cost around 230 dollars, minimum wage here is 300 dollars, per month

everything is relative

windows should be free, without the watermark of course, it is free with the watermark

Not sure where you live, I find it difficult to believe you can only get certain versions of windows.

Also That is the full retail version I was talking about not the OEM.  Prices are Aussie dollars.

9 minutes ago, mr moose said:

Not sure where you live, I find it difficult to believe you can only get certain versions of windows.

Also That is the full retail version I was talking about not the OEM.  Prices are Aussie dollars.

where i live is irrelevant, and you dont want to know the full retail price, trust me

and i am using us dollars, not dollars from australia

what you get there and what i get here is really different, so complain about prices, well, no, not allowed not if you think that something is cheap, when you dont know what is cheap, or refuse to believe what is expensive

Yes, it's illegal, but it's not like Microsoft is gonna hunt you down if you pirate your copy of Windows.

CPU: Ryzen 5 5600x  | GPU: GTX 1070 FE | RAM: TridentZ 16GB 3200MHz | Motherboard: Gigabyte B450 Aorus M | PSU: EVGA 650 B3 | STORAGE: Boot drive: Crucial MX500 1TB, Secondary drive: WD Blue 1TB hdd | CASE: Phanteks P350x | OS: Windows 10 | Monitor: Main: ASUS VP249QGR 144Hz, Secondary: Dell E2014h 1600x900

2 minutes ago, goto10 said:

where i live is irrelevant, and you dont want to know the full retail price, trust me

and i am using us dollars, not dollars from australia

what you get there and what i get here is really different, so complain about prices, well, no, not allowed not if you think that something is cheap, when you dont know what is cheap, or refuse to believe what is expensive

I really don't understand what your grief is.   If you don't show me the problem of course I won't know.  Can you at least link to something that explains the issues you are claiming?