Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
FuzeLight

are free windows activators ilegal

Recommended Posts

Posted · Original PosterOP

so there are these free activators for windows i tried one named microsoft tool kit and it worked it activated windows so im wondering are those legal and that

Link to post
Share on other sites

yeah kinda, but windows wont do a whole lot about it

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, BaconLord222 said:

They're definitely illegal. These activators usually use some sort of exploit inside windows to trick the OS into believing that it is registered, when in fact it is not.

Yes it will say Windows is not Activated but yes it is illegal.


Asus Sabertooth x79 / 4930k @ 4514 @ 1.408v / Gigabyte WF 2080 RTX / Corsair VG 64GB @ 1915 @ 9CL & AX1600i & H115i Pro @ 2x Noctua NF-A14 / Carbide 330r Blackout

Scarlett 2i2 Audio Interface / KRK Rokits 10" / Sennheiser HD 650 / Logitech G Pro Wireless Mouse & G915 Linear & C920 / SL 88 Grand / Cakewalk / NF-A14 Int P12 Exh 
AOC 40" 4k Curved / Samsung 40" 4k TV 120 MR / LaCie Porsche Design 2TB & 500GB / Samsung 950 Pro 500GB / 850 Pro 500GB / Crucial m4 500GB / Asus M.2 Card

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, BaconLord222 said:

They're definitely illegal. These activators usually use some sort of exploit inside windows to trick the OS into believing that it is registered, when in fact it is not.

what if you can then link it to ms account?

Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes, they're illegal.


If you're replying to someone then quote/tag them, otherwise they won't see your response.

Useful links: Community Standards | PSU Tier List | Motherboard Tier List | Build Guide Megathread | GPU Cooler Tier ListX99 Xeon/i7 Discussion

 

My PC:

Spoiler

CPU: i5 4460

Motherboard: Gigabyte B85M-HD3

RAM: 8GB AMD DDR3 1600MHz

GPU: Nvidia GeForce GTX 960 2GB

Case: In Win Mana 136

Storage: Crucial MX500 250GB + WD Blue 1TB

PSU: Corsair CX450M

Monitor: Blaupunkt 32" TV + Samsung S24D590L 

Cooling: Knockoff of an Intel stock cooler

Keyboard: Steelseries Apex M500 (Cherry MX Red, UK layout)

Mouse: Corsair Scimitar Pro RGB

My phone:

Spoiler

Samsung Galaxy Note 9 (N960F)

CPU: Samsung Exynos 9810

RAM: 6GB

GPU: Mali-G72 MP18

Storage: 128GB internal storage + 128GB Samsung microSD card

My laptop:

Spoiler

Acer Nitro 5

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 2500U

RAM: 8GB DDR4

GPU: AMD Radeon RX 560X

Storage: 1TB HDD

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

the activators use a technique that is activate a license from a server that contains licenses

 

is the same as when a company pc joins a domain, the domain company server apart from allowing access to the network provides a windows license

 

that windows license has been bought to microsoft to be used this way, legally, for example, a volume license key to be used by 1000 pcs, if they buy more pcs, the buy another license or a extension of the previous license and keep adding pcs to their network

 

the illegal tool you mention doesnt use a domain, just a server with licenses, but those are fake licenses, no one is paying for those licenses to microsoft, so they are definitively illegal

 

the tool it seems that also leaves your pc at risk of a attack, it leaves a service running, so you can end with your pc being part of some sort of botnet, as a mining pc for someone else or worse, who knows what that tool does apart from using a fake license server to "activate" your license, that is a temporary license, it probably works as the ones form the company, if the pc doesnt connect to the server the pc starts a countdown to disable the license, usually os 1 or 3 months

 

you can read more on google by searching for illegal windows activators

 

for example this link, explaining how the kms server with licenses is used in more depth

 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/windowsreport.com/windows-10-activator-malware/%3famp

 

if you dont plan to buy a license, just use the pc without the license or the activator, the screen will have a nice watermark in the lower right corner reminding you that you dont have a license and that you should buy one, my laptop has been like thos for 2 years so far, nothing major to report here

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, goto10 said:

 

if you dont plan to buy a license, just use the pc without the license or the activator, the screen will have a nice watermark in the lower right corner reminding you that you dont have a license and that you should buy one, my laptop has been like thos for 2 years so far, nothing major to report here

This,  I have a 7 PC the same, it was legit and I replaced the motherboard (original borked) I am entitled to reactivation but couldn't be arsed and just left it running inactivated.

 

If you don't want to pay for a license (for whatever reason, I don't personally care), then at least just run non activated and avoid the issues that might arise from dodgy activator apps and buying OEM licenses from 3rd parties.  


QuicK and DirtY. Read the CoC it's like a guide on how not to be moron.  Also I don't have an issue with the VS series.

Link to post
Share on other sites

You're getting a paid product for free, of course it's illegal.

Not all activators are made equal. Some do what they say they are made for and just that. While others can install a trojan/keylogger and/or backdoor so deep in the OS that it's near impossible to detect or remove without formatting.

Your Operating System is the single most important piece of software on your computer, by using an activator that you have no clue where it comes from, who made it, what's the underlying code of it and what exactly it changes on your computer, you've decided to compromise it and the safety of your personal information right from the get go because you didn't feel like buying Windows. It's literally $5 on a grey market website. Heck, if you're a gamer, Linux is a perfectly viable OS these days as well.


CPU: AMD Ryzen 3600 / GPU: Radeon HD7970 GHz 3GB(upgrade pending) / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, TetraSky said:

You're getting a paid product for free, of course it's illegal.

Not all activators are made equal. Some do what they say they are made for and just that. While others can install a trojan/keylogger and/or backdoor so deep in the OS that it's near impossible to detect or remove without formatting.

Your Operating System is the single most important piece of software on your computer, by using an activator that you have no clue where it comes from, who made it, what's the underlying code of it and what exactly it changes on your computer, you've decided to compromise it and the safety of your personal information right from the get go because you didn't feel like buying Windows. It's literally $5 on a grey market website. Heck, if you're a gamer, Linux is a perfectly viable OS these days as well.

There are plenty of legal ways to get paid products for free (see: giveaways, sweepstakes, competitions). And also +1 for Linux gaming. I'm using Linux and am currently playing modded Oblivion.


Red pill or Blue pill?
I don't feel like putting my system specs in here if you want them take a look at my profile page.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, TetraSky said:

You're getting a paid product for free, of course it's illegal.

Not all activators are made equal. Some do what they say they are made for and just that. While others can install a trojan/keylogger and/or backdoor so deep in the OS that it's near impossible to detect or remove without formatting.

Your Operating System is the single most important piece of software on your computer, by using an activator that you have no clue where it comes from, who made it, what's the underlying code of it and what exactly it changes on your computer, you've decided to compromise it and the safety of your personal information right from the get go because you didn't feel like buying Windows. It's literally $5 on a grey market website. Heck, if you're a gamer, Linux is a perfectly viable OS these days as well.

 

I also second the advice to use Linux if it's workable for you,  ubuntu has come a long long way and most decent programs have at least one viable Linux alternative (usually free too).  I use one solely for backing up my camera SD cards and phone content (windows is too hap hazard and I don't like the built in photo gallery).

 

 


QuicK and DirtY. Read the CoC it's like a guide on how not to be moron.  Also I don't have an issue with the VS series.

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, mr moose said:

 

I also second the advice to use Linux if it's workable for you,  ubuntu has come a long long way and most decent programs have at least one viable Linux alternative (usually free too).  I use one solely for backing up my camera SD cards and phone content (windows is too hap hazard and I don't like the built in photo gallery).

 

 

the problem with linux is always hardware support, always something gives problems, or gpu has problems, or wifi card, or fans spin too fast, or something else

 

laptops are worse

 

i stopped using linux a couple years ago for that reason, as much as i like linux i cant waste my time and money buying hardware that will work on linux or making hardware work on linux

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, goto10 said:

the problem with linux is always hardware support, always something gives problems, or gpu has problems, or wifi card, or fans spin too fast, or something else

 

laptops are worse

 

i stopped using linux a couple years ago for that reason, as much as i like linux i cant waste my time and money buying hardware that will work on linux or making hardware work on linux

Never had those issues with Linux. You've probably just had bad luck or are doing something wrong. Every system I've tried on Linux has worked flawlessly, and the only big issue was that I had the wrong GPU driver selected in the kernel, but once I figured out what the issue was, it was easy to fix.

 

 

Also, I find that laptops tend to work better than desktops. The only issue I've had on my laptop is that the fingerprint scanner doesn't work, but that's because nobody has bothered to develop a driver for my specific fp scanner (though other laptops with different fp scanners work right out of the box).


Quote me to see my reply!

SPECS:

CPU: Xeon X5650 OC'd to 4.4GHz @ 1.36V (courtesy of @XR6) Motherboard: Asus Sabertooth X58 RAM: 4x4GB G.Skill DDR3 1866MHz GPU: XFX R7 370 4GB with an Arctic Twin Turbo II Storage: WD Blue 1tb and a 128GB Kingston UV400 PSU: EVGA 600B Case: Fractal Design Define C Monitor: Dell G2410T and Dell P2210 Mouse: Logitech G403 Prodigy Wireless Keyboard: Cooler Master Masterkeys Pro S (MX Browns) with Varmillo black and grey PBT dye-sub caps Mousepad: Steelseries QcK Headset:  Sennheiser HD 4.40

 

I like Team Fortress 2 and Minecraft. Volvo makes the best cars.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, TetraSky said:

Heck, if you're a gamer, Linux is a perfectly viable OS these days as well.

Linux has gotten a lot better but I still think Windows is superior for pure gaming.


Quote me to see my reply!

SPECS:

CPU: Xeon X5650 OC'd to 4.4GHz @ 1.36V (courtesy of @XR6) Motherboard: Asus Sabertooth X58 RAM: 4x4GB G.Skill DDR3 1866MHz GPU: XFX R7 370 4GB with an Arctic Twin Turbo II Storage: WD Blue 1tb and a 128GB Kingston UV400 PSU: EVGA 600B Case: Fractal Design Define C Monitor: Dell G2410T and Dell P2210 Mouse: Logitech G403 Prodigy Wireless Keyboard: Cooler Master Masterkeys Pro S (MX Browns) with Varmillo black and grey PBT dye-sub caps Mousepad: Steelseries QcK Headset:  Sennheiser HD 4.40

 

I like Team Fortress 2 and Minecraft. Volvo makes the best cars.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, kelvinhall05 said:

Linux has gotten a lot better but I still think Windows is superior for pure gaming.

I use it and my computer works better on linux for games than it ever did in windows. Just takes some setting up.


into trains? here's the model railroad thread!

The way to get the specs for my PC. go to the store. Buy some potatos. boil them and mash the. and stuff that in a focus g with a ssd.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, kelvinhall05 said:

Never had those issues with Linux. You've probably just had bad luck or are doing something wrong. Every system I've tried on Linux has worked flawlessly, and the only big issue was that I had the wrong GPU driver selected in the kernel, but once I figured out what the issue was, it was easy to fix.

 

 

Also, I find that laptops tend to work better than desktops. The only issue I've had on my laptop is that the fingerprint scanner doesn't work, but that's because nobody has bothered to develop a driver for my specific fp scanner (though other laptops with different fp scanners work right out of the box).

doing something wrong since 2001, sure

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, will4623 said:

I use it and my computer works better on linux for games than it ever did in windows. Just takes some setting up.

I've had a far better gaming experience on Windows than on Linux, and basically the only game I play (TF2) natively runs on Linux. Even with Proton enabled, there are random crashes for some games, games using Battleye (like PUBG) won't launch, there are some annoyances that are game-specific like exported cars from Automation not showing up in BeamNG, etc.


Quote me to see my reply!

SPECS:

CPU: Xeon X5650 OC'd to 4.4GHz @ 1.36V (courtesy of @XR6) Motherboard: Asus Sabertooth X58 RAM: 4x4GB G.Skill DDR3 1866MHz GPU: XFX R7 370 4GB with an Arctic Twin Turbo II Storage: WD Blue 1tb and a 128GB Kingston UV400 PSU: EVGA 600B Case: Fractal Design Define C Monitor: Dell G2410T and Dell P2210 Mouse: Logitech G403 Prodigy Wireless Keyboard: Cooler Master Masterkeys Pro S (MX Browns) with Varmillo black and grey PBT dye-sub caps Mousepad: Steelseries QcK Headset:  Sennheiser HD 4.40

 

I like Team Fortress 2 and Minecraft. Volvo makes the best cars.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, goto10 said:

doing something wrong since 2001, sure

to? it has gotten better.

 

11 hours ago, kelvinhall05 said:

I've had a far better gaming experience on Windows than on Linux, and basically the only game I play (TF2) natively runs on Linux. Even with Proton enabled, there are random crashes for some games, games using Battleye (like PUBG) won't launch, there are some annoyances that are game-specific like exported cars from Automation not showing up in BeamNG, etc.

I only play supcom faf,pa,oni and rocket league.


into trains? here's the model railroad thread!

The way to get the specs for my PC. go to the store. Buy some potatos. boil them and mash the. and stuff that in a focus g with a ssd.

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, goto10 said:

doing something wrong since 2001, sure

Linux in 2001 was shit. Have you tried the latest version of big distros like Manjaro or Ubuntu? They're amazing. I personally hate Ubuntu but Manjaro is great. In everything except for gaming, Linux wipes the floor with Windows; it's faster, sexier, more customizable, MUCH more stable, completely free, more secure, works on almost any computer, installing software is easier (especially on Arch/Manjaro with the AUR, just search and click install), etc.

 

11 hours ago, will4623 said:

I only play supcom faf,pa,oni and rocket league.

If I could play all games without issues, I would probably only play TF2, BeamNG, Automation (only for making cars to drive in BeamNG, lol), War Thunder, and GTA V. Unfortunately, War Thunder acts like malware on Manjaro and literally unmounts the drive it's installed on when launched (I've tried on multiple computers), GTA crashes when attempting to load Online mode, Automation works fine but exporting to BeamNG is broken, BeamNG works fine but crashes randomly and has long load times, and TF2 is the best game out of the ones I play but still has issues with the cursor not locking to the center of the screen (though I think that's just a Linux thing, not a TF2 thing, but idk).


Quote me to see my reply!

SPECS:

CPU: Xeon X5650 OC'd to 4.4GHz @ 1.36V (courtesy of @XR6) Motherboard: Asus Sabertooth X58 RAM: 4x4GB G.Skill DDR3 1866MHz GPU: XFX R7 370 4GB with an Arctic Twin Turbo II Storage: WD Blue 1tb and a 128GB Kingston UV400 PSU: EVGA 600B Case: Fractal Design Define C Monitor: Dell G2410T and Dell P2210 Mouse: Logitech G403 Prodigy Wireless Keyboard: Cooler Master Masterkeys Pro S (MX Browns) with Varmillo black and grey PBT dye-sub caps Mousepad: Steelseries QcK Headset:  Sennheiser HD 4.40

 

I like Team Fortress 2 and Minecraft. Volvo makes the best cars.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Sylvie said:

technically, yes. although I doubt Ms is looking to punish literally every software pirate ever. just don't go around advertising it. 

Not technically.  100%.  It's not splitting hairs.  

 

"Techincally" doesn't apply to rule of law.

 

If you want to do illegal shit, do illegal shit.  Just don't try to justify it or make it seem like you're not really doing anything wrong.

 

I've used those things, many people do.   I know I was doing something 100% illegal.  Done. 


Emma : i7 8700K @5.0Ghz - Gigabyte AORUS Z370 Gaming 5 - Thermaltake Water 3.0 Ultimate - G. Skill Ripjaws V 32GB 3200Mhz - Gigabyte AORUS 1080Ti - 750 EVO 512GB + 2x 860 EVO 1TB M.2 (RAID 0) - EVGA Supernova 650 P2 - Fractal Design Define R6 - AOC AGON 35" 3440x1440 100Hz - Mackie CR5BT - Logitech G910, G502, G933 - Cooler Master Universal Graphics Card Holder

 

Plex : Ryzen 5 1600 (stock) - Gigabyte B450M-DS3H - G. Skill Ripjaws V 8GB 2400Mhz - GeForce 8800GTS 640MB - 840 EVO 256GB + Toshiba P300 3TB - TP-Link AC1900 PCIe Wifi - Cooler Master MasterWatt Lite 500 - Antec Nine Hundred - Dell 19" 4:3

 

Lenovo 720S Touch 15.6" - i7 7700HQ, 16GB RAM, 512GB NVMe SSD, 1050Ti, 4K touchscreen

 

MSI GF62 - i7 7700HQ, 16GB 2400 MHz RAM, 256GB NVMe SSD + 1TB 7200rpm HDD, 1050Ti

Link to post
Share on other sites

Illegal? Yep. 

Popular? Yep


See I'm a 21st century digital boy,
I don't know how to live but I've got a lot of toys. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Did you really have to ask if some shady software that prevented you from having to pay is going to be legal?

 

Careful with spywares now mate.


Workstation Rig:
CPU:  Intel Core i9 9900K @5.0ghz  |~| Cooling: beQuiet! Dark Rock 4 |~|  MOBO: Asus Z390M ROG Maximus XI GENE |~| RAM: 32gb 3333mhz CL15 G.Skill Trident Z RGB |~| GPU: nVidia TITAN V  |~| PSU: beQuiet! Dark Power Pro 11 80Plus Platinum  |~| Boot: Intel 660p 2TB NVMe |~| Storage: 2X4TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Iron Wolf + 2X2TB SSD SanDisk Ultra |~| Case: Cooler Master Case Pro 3 |~| Display: Acer Predator X34 3440x1440p100hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.
 
Personal Use Rig:
CPU: Intel Core i9 9900 @4.75ghz |~| Cooling: beQuiet! Shadow Rock Slim |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z390M Gaming mATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3400mhzCL15 Crucial Ballistix |~| GPU: nVidia Founders Edition RTX 2080 Ti |~| PSU: beQuiet! Straight Power 11 80Plus Gold  |~|  Boot:  Intel 660p 2TB NVMe |~| Storage: 2x2TB SanDisk SSD Ultra 3D |~| Case: Cooler Master Case Pro 3 |~| Display: Viotek GN34CB 3440x1440p100hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.


HTPC / "Console of the house":

CPU: Intel Core i7 8700 @4.45ghz |~| Cooling: Cooler Master Hyper 212X |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z370M D3H mATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: nVidia Founders Edition GTX 1080 Ti |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.
Link to post
Share on other sites

Think of all the people at Microsoft, they need a wage too!

 

Do the right thing, buy retail price OS.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


×