are free windows activators ilegal

so there are these free activators for windows i tried one named microsoft tool kit and it worked it activated windows so im wondering are those legal and that

They're definitely illegal. These activators usually use some sort of exploit inside windows to trick the OS into believing that it is registered, when in fact it is not.

Quote this or use @BaconLord222 if you want a reply

PC Specs

Main Desktop

CPU - AMD Ryzen 5 2600X

CPU Cooler - Stock Wraith Spire thing lol

Mobo - MSI B450 Gaming Pro Carbon AC

GPU - Gigabyte GeForce RTX 2080 Super Windforce OC 8GB

RAM - Team T-Force Dark 16gb (2x8gb) 3200MHz DDR4

Storage - Corsair Force Series Mp510 240gb

Seagate Barracuda 3TB 7200rpm HDD

PSU - EVGA SuperNOVA G3 550W

Case - Phanteks Eclipse P300

O/S - Windows 10 Home 64bit

3 minutes ago, BaconLord222 said:

They're definitely illegal. These activators usually use some sort of exploit inside windows to trick the OS into believing that it is registered, when in fact it is not.

Yes it will say Windows is not Activated but yes it is illegal.

Asus Sabertooth x79 / 4930k @ 4500 @ 1.408v / Gigabyte WF 2080 RTX / Corsair VG 64GB @ 1866 & AX1600i & H115i Pro @ 2x Noctua NF-A14 / Carbide 330r Blackout

Scarlett 2i2 Audio Interface / KRK Rokits 10" / Sennheiser HD 650 / Logitech G Pro Wireless Mouse & G915 Linear & G935 & C920 / SL 88 Grand / Cakewalk / NF-A14 Int P12 Ex
AOC 40" 4k Curved / LG 55" OLED C9 120hz / LaCie Porsche Design 2TB & 500GB / Samsung 950 Pro 500GB / 850 Pro 500GB / Crucial m4 500GB / Asus M.2 Card

3 minutes ago, BaconLord222 said:

what if you can then link it to ms account?

the activators use a technique that is activate a license from a server that contains licenses

is the same as when a company pc joins a domain, the domain company server apart from allowing access to the network provides a windows license

that windows license has been bought to microsoft to be used this way, legally, for example, a volume license key to be used by 1000 pcs, if they buy more pcs, the buy another license or a extension of the previous license and keep adding pcs to their network

the illegal tool you mention doesnt use a domain, just a server with licenses, but those are fake licenses, no one is paying for those licenses to microsoft, so they are definitively illegal

the tool it seems that also leaves your pc at risk of a attack, it leaves a service running, so you can end with your pc being part of some sort of botnet, as a mining pc for someone else or worse, who knows what that tool does apart from using a fake license server to "activate" your license, that is a temporary license, it probably works as the ones form the company, if the pc doesnt connect to the server the pc starts a countdown to disable the license, usually os 1 or 3 months

you can read more on google by searching for illegal windows activators

for example this link, explaining how the kms server with licenses is used in more depth

https://www.google.com/amp/s/windowsreport.com/windows-10-activator-malware/%3famp

if you dont plan to buy a license, just use the pc without the license or the activator, the screen will have a nice watermark in the lower right corner reminding you that you dont have a license and that you should buy one, my laptop has been like thos for 2 years so far, nothing major to report here

8 minutes ago, goto10 said:

if you dont plan to buy a license, just use the pc without the license or the activator, the screen will have a nice watermark in the lower right corner reminding you that you dont have a license and that you should buy one, my laptop has been like thos for 2 years so far, nothing major to report here

This,  I have a 7 PC the same, it was legit and I replaced the motherboard (original borked) I am entitled to reactivation but couldn't be arsed and just left it running inactivated.

If you don't want to pay for a license (for whatever reason, I don't personally care), then at least just run non activated and avoid the issues that might arise from dodgy activator apps and buying OEM licenses from 3rd parties.  

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

You're getting a paid product for free, of course it's illegal.

Not all activators are made equal. Some do what they say they are made for and just that. While others can install a trojan/keylogger and/or backdoor so deep in the OS that it's near impossible to detect or remove without formatting.

Your Operating System is the single most important piece of software on your computer, by using an activator that you have no clue where it comes from, who made it, what's the underlying code of it and what exactly it changes on your computer, you've decided to compromise it and the safety of your personal information right from the get go because you didn't feel like buying Windows. It's literally $5 on a grey market website. Heck, if you're a gamer, Linux is a perfectly viable OS these days as well.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

2 hours ago, TetraSky said:

Not all activators are made equal. Some do what they say they are made for and just that. While others can install a trojan/keylogger and/or backdoor so deep in the OS that it's near impossible to detect or remove without formatting.

Your Operating System is the single most important piece of software on your computer, by using an activator that you have no clue where it comes from, who made it, what's the underlying code of it and what exactly it changes on your computer, you've decided to compromise it and the safety of your personal information right from the get go because you didn't feel like buying Windows. It's literally $5 on a grey market website. Heck, if you're a gamer, Linux is a perfectly viable OS these days as well.

There are plenty of legal ways to get paid products for free (see: giveaways, sweepstakes, competitions). And also +1 for Linux gaming. I'm using Linux and am currently playing modded Oblivion.

2 hours ago, TetraSky said:

I also second the advice to use Linux if it's workable for you,  ubuntu has come a long long way and most decent programs have at least one viable Linux alternative (usually free too).  I use one solely for backing up my camera SD cards and phone content (windows is too hap hazard and I don't like the built in photo gallery).

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

7 hours ago, mr moose said:

I also second the advice to use Linux if it's workable for you,  ubuntu has come a long long way and most decent programs have at least one viable Linux alternative (usually free too).  I use one solely for backing up my camera SD cards and phone content (windows is too hap hazard and I don't like the built in photo gallery).

the problem with linux is always hardware support, always something gives problems, or gpu has problems, or wifi card, or fans spin too fast, or something else

laptops are worse

i stopped using linux a couple years ago for that reason, as much as i like linux i cant waste my time and money buying hardware that will work on linux or making hardware work on linux

2 minutes ago, goto10 said:

the problem with linux is always hardware support, always something gives problems, or gpu has problems, or wifi card, or fans spin too fast, or something else

laptops are worse

i stopped using linux a couple years ago for that reason, as much as i like linux i cant waste my time and money buying hardware that will work on linux or making hardware work on linux

Never had those issues with Linux. You've probably just had bad luck or are doing something wrong. Every system I've tried on Linux has worked flawlessly, and the only big issue was that I had the wrong GPU driver selected in the kernel, but once I figured out what the issue was, it was easy to fix.

Also, I find that laptops tend to work better than desktops. The only issue I've had on my laptop is that the fingerprint scanner doesn't work, but that's because nobody has bothered to develop a driver for my specific fp scanner (though other laptops with different fp scanners work right out of the box).

Quote me to see my reply!

SPECS:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700X Motherboard: MSI B450-A Pro Max RAM: 32GB I forget GPU: MSI Vega 56 Storage: 256GB NVMe boot, 512GB Samsung 850 Pro, 1TB WD Blue SSD, 1TB WD Blue HDD PSU: Inwin P85 850w Case: Fractal Design Define C Cooling: Stock for CPU, be quiet! case fans, Morpheus Vega w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 2 for GPU Monitor: 3x Thinkvision P24Q on a Steelcase Eyesite triple monitor stand Mouse: Logitech MX Master 3 Keyboard: Focus FK-9000 (heavily modded) Mousepad: Aliexpress cat special Headphones:  Sennheiser HD598SE and Sony Linkbuds

🏳️‍🌈

10 hours ago, TetraSky said:

Heck, if you're a gamer, Linux is a perfectly viable OS these days as well.

Linux has gotten a lot better but I still think Windows is superior for pure gaming.

SPECS:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700X Motherboard: MSI B450-A Pro Max RAM: 32GB I forget GPU: MSI Vega 56 Storage: 256GB NVMe boot, 512GB Samsung 850 Pro, 1TB WD Blue SSD, 1TB WD Blue HDD PSU: Inwin P85 850w Case: Fractal Design Define C Cooling: Stock for CPU, be quiet! case fans, Morpheus Vega w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 2 for GPU Monitor: 3x Thinkvision P24Q on a Steelcase Eyesite triple monitor stand Mouse: Logitech MX Master 3 Keyboard: Focus FK-9000 (heavily modded) Mousepad: Aliexpress cat special Headphones:  Sennheiser HD598SE and Sony Linkbuds

🏳️‍🌈

1 minute ago, kelvinhall05 said:

Linux has gotten a lot better but I still think Windows is superior for pure gaming.

I use it and my computer works better on linux for games than it ever did in windows. Just takes some setting up.

I live in misery USA. my timezone is central daylight time which is either UTC -5 or -4 because the government hates everyone.

into trains? here's the model railroad thread!

3 minutes ago, kelvinhall05 said:

Never had those issues with Linux. You've probably just had bad luck or are doing something wrong. Every system I've tried on Linux has worked flawlessly, and the only big issue was that I had the wrong GPU driver selected in the kernel, but once I figured out what the issue was, it was easy to fix.

Also, I find that laptops tend to work better than desktops. The only issue I've had on my laptop is that the fingerprint scanner doesn't work, but that's because nobody has bothered to develop a driver for my specific fp scanner (though other laptops with different fp scanners work right out of the box).

doing something wrong since 2001, sure

Just now, will4623 said:

I use it and my computer works better on linux for games than it ever did in windows. Just takes some setting up.

I've had a far better gaming experience on Windows than on Linux, and basically the only game I play (TF2) natively runs on Linux. Even with Proton enabled, there are random crashes for some games, games using Battleye (like PUBG) won't launch, there are some annoyances that are game-specific like exported cars from Automation not showing up in BeamNG, etc.

SPECS:

🏳️‍🌈

11 hours ago, goto10 said:

to? it has gotten better.

11 hours ago, kelvinhall05 said:

I've had a far better gaming experience on Windows than on Linux, and basically the only game I play (TF2) natively runs on Linux. Even with Proton enabled, there are random crashes for some games, games using Battleye (like PUBG) won't launch, there are some annoyances that are game-specific like exported cars from Automation not showing up in BeamNG, etc.

I only play supcom faf,pa,oni and rocket league.

I live in misery USA. my timezone is central daylight time which is either UTC -5 or -4 because the government hates everyone.

into trains? here's the model railroad thread!

11 hours ago, goto10 said:

Linux in 2001 was shit. Have you tried the latest version of big distros like Manjaro or Ubuntu? They're amazing. I personally hate Ubuntu but Manjaro is great. In everything except for gaming, Linux wipes the floor with Windows; it's faster, sexier, more customizable, MUCH more stable, completely free, more secure, works on almost any computer, installing software is easier (especially on Arch/Manjaro with the AUR, just search and click install), etc.

11 hours ago, will4623 said:

I only play supcom faf,pa,oni and rocket league.

If I could play all games without issues, I would probably only play TF2, BeamNG, Automation (only for making cars to drive in BeamNG, lol), War Thunder, and GTA V. Unfortunately, War Thunder acts like malware on Manjaro and literally unmounts the drive it's installed on when launched (I've tried on multiple computers), GTA crashes when attempting to load Online mode, Automation works fine but exporting to BeamNG is broken, BeamNG works fine but crashes randomly and has long load times, and TF2 is the best game out of the ones I play but still has issues with the cursor not locking to the center of the screen (though I think that's just a Linux thing, not a TF2 thing, but idk).

SPECS:

🏳️‍🌈

10 hours ago, Sylvie said:

technically, yes. although I doubt Ms is looking to punish literally every software pirate ever. just don't go around advertising it. 

Not technically.  100%.  It's not splitting hairs.  

"Techincally" doesn't apply to rule of law.

If you want to do illegal shit, do illegal shit.  Just don't try to justify it or make it seem like you're not really doing anything wrong.

I've used those things, many people do.   I know I was doing something 100% illegal.  Done. 

"Do what makes the experience better" - in regards to PCs and Life itself.

Onyx AMD Ryzen 7 7800x3d / MSI 6900xt Gaming X Trio / Gigabyte B650 AORUS Pro AX / G. Skill Flare X5 6000CL36 32GB / Samsung 980 1TB x3 / Super Flower Leadex V Platinum Pro 850 / EK-AIO 360 Basic / Fractal Design North XL (black mesh) / AOC AGON 35" 3440x1440 100Hz / Mackie CR5BT / Corsair Virtuoso SE / Cherry MX Board 3.0 / Logitech G502

7800X3D - PBO -30 all cores, 4.90GHz all core, 5.05GHz single core, 18286 C23 multi, 1779 C23 single

Emma : i9 9900K @5.1Ghz - Gigabyte AORUS 1080Ti - Gigabyte AORUS Z370 Gaming 5 - G. Skill Ripjaws V 32GB 3200CL16 - 750 EVO 512GB + 2x 860 EVO 1TB (RAID0) - EVGA SuperNova 650 P2 - Thermaltake Water 3.0 Ultimate 360mm - Fractal Design Define R6 - TP-Link AC1900 PCIe Wifi

Raven: AMD Ryzen 5 5600x3d - ASRock B550M Pro4 - G. Skill Ripjaws V 16GB 3200Mhz - XFX Radeon RX6650XT - Samsung 980 1TB + Crucial MX500 1TB - TP-Link AC600 USB Wifi - Gigabyte GP-P450B PSU -  Cooler Master MasterBox Q300L -  Samsung 27" 1080p

Plex : AMD Ryzen 5 5600 - Gigabyte B550M AORUS Elite AX - G. Skill Ripjaws V 16GB 2400Mhz - MSI 1050Ti 4GB - Crucial P3 Plus 500GB + WD Red NAS 4TBx2 - TP-Link AC1200 PCIe Wifi - EVGA SuperNova 650 P2 - ASUS Prime AP201 - Spectre 24" 1080p

Steam Deck 512GB OLED

OnePlus: 

OnePlus 11 5G - 16GB RAM, 256GB NAND, Eternal Green

OnePlus Buds Pro 2 - Eternal Green

Other Tech:

- 2021 Volvo S60 Recharge T8 Polestar Engineered - 415hp/495tq 2.0L 4cyl. turbocharged, supercharged and electrified.

Lenovo 720S Touch 15.6" - i7 7700HQ, 16GB RAM 2400MHz, 512GB NVMe SSD, 1050Ti, 4K touchscreen

MSI GF62 15.6" - i7 7700HQ, 16GB RAM 2400 MHz, 256GB NVMe SSD + 1TB 7200rpm HDD, 1050Ti

- Ubiquiti Amplifi HD mesh wifi

Illegal? Yep. 

Popular? Yep

See I'm a 21st century digital boy,
I don't know how to live but I've got a lot of toys. 

Did you really have to ask if some shady software that prevented you from having to pay is going to be legal?

Careful with spywares now mate.

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

Think of all the people at Microsoft, they need a wage too!

Do the right thing, buy retail price OS.

i5 8600 - RX580 - Fractal Nano S - 1080p 144Hz