16gb ram

120gb ssd 

1tb hard drive

2x 320gb hard drives

gtx 1060 3g 

was it worth it

150 for the pc

and 200 for the gpu ssd and hard drive i had

I was just wondering but i got an old Dell T3400 Precision Late 2007 Model i think
it has an Intel core 2 quad Q6600 CPU with a clock speed of 2.4GHZ and i was wondering if it would be worth it to upgrade from an old ATI FIREGL V3600 GPU with 256MB VRAM to a Radeon 4870 Or any other decent cards to do low end gaming I am limited to 375 watts so try not to go over kill i got around $45 at the moment to spend

36 minutes ago, Mattsk said:

150 for the pc

and 200 for the gpu ssd and hard drive i had

I wouldn't call it a good buy on the gpu part, GTX 970's are worth like $80 and new RX 570's have been selling in the $100-120 range for a long time with used Polaris cards in the same price range. 120GB SSD's are $20 or less and 500GB/1TB hard drives are anywhere from free to $10 used.

$150 for the computer is a little high for an old i5 assuming it's a prebuilt but if it's in nice shape with the 16GB of ram it's perfectly fine. This is all assuming USD, if this is CAD then you did alright.

24 minutes ago, Intel only person said:

I was just wondering but i got an old Dell T3400 Precision Late 2007 Model i think
it has an Intel core 2 quad Q6600 CPU with a clock speed of 2.4GHZ and i was wondering if it would be worth it to upgrade from an old ATI FIREGL V3600 GPU with 256MB VRAM to a Radeon 4870 Or any other decent cards to do low end gaming I am limited to 375 watts so try not to go over kill i got around $45 at the moment to spend

Sticking any functional gpu from this decade into it would be a massive upgrade, Fermi cards are near worthless now and are running into vram and API limitations but suck down lots of power. I'd try to find a 750ti if you're looking for something power efficient but still functional. Anything pci-e should pretty much work in it, just look for something cheaper and newer that wasn't a low end card.

Whether the upgrade was worth the cost depends on what games and settings you play at. If you like cranking up those graphics, then I'd call the upgrade worth it.  

"Make sense? Oh, what fun is there in making sense?"
-Discord

On 7/28/2019 at 11:51 PM, Slayer3032 said:

I wouldn't call it a good buy on the gpu part, GTX 970's are worth like $80 and new RX 570's have been selling in the $100-120 range for a long time with used Polaris cards in the same price range. 120GB SSD's are $20 or less and 500GB/1TB hard drives are anywhere from free to $10 used.

$150 for the computer is a little high for an old i5 assuming it's a prebuilt but if it's in nice shape with the 16GB of ram it's perfectly fine. This is all assuming USD, if this is CAD then you did alright.

Sticking any functional gpu from this decade into it would be a massive upgrade, Fermi cards are near worthless now and are running into vram and API limitations but suck down lots of power. I'd try to find a 750ti if you're looking for something power efficient but still functional. Anything pci-e should pretty much work in it, just look for something cheaper and newer that wasn't a low end card.

its not a pre build its a intel board  its a custom pc 

It wasn't a good upgrade...

Something like this would have been way better...

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 1600 3.2 GHz 6-Core Processor  ($104.89 @ OutletPC) 
Motherboard: ASRock B450M PRO4 Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard  ($69.99 @ Amazon) 
Memory: Team T-FORCE VULCAN TUF Gaming Allian 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory  ($68.99 @ Newegg) 
Storage: HP EX900 500 GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive  ($49.99 @ Newegg) 
Video Card: MSI Radeon RX 480 8 GB Video Card ($60.00 @ ebay) 
Total: $353.86

SSD TIER LIST

CPU - Ryzen 7 3700X

Mobo - ASRock X470 Taichi

Memory - G.Skill Trident Z RGB (8x2 3200MHz) 

Storage - Sabrent Rocket 1TB - Seagate Barracuda 2TBWD Black 1TB

GPU - MSI GeForce GTX 980Ti LIGHTNING

CaseFractal Design Meshify C

PSUSuper Flower Leadex II Gold 650W

8 hours ago, VEXICUS said:

It wasn't a good upgrade...

Something like this would have been way better...

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 1600 3.2 GHz 6-Core Processor  ($104.89 @ OutletPC) 
Motherboard: ASRock B450M PRO4 Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard  ($69.99 @ Amazon) 
Memory: Team T-FORCE VULCAN TUF Gaming Allian 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory  ($68.99 @ Newegg) 
Storage: HP EX900 500 GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive  ($49.99 @ Newegg) 
Video Card: MSI Radeon RX 480 8 GB Video Card ($60.00 @ ebay) 
Total: $353.86

it wasn't the best upgrade i can see

but i can crank the settings up alot higher then i could with my 1030 but...

yeah ill look into getting ryzen within the next year 

On 7/29/2019 at 12:51 AM, Slayer3032 said:

I dont really push it to its limits i just play some of the old CODs like WaW BO1 BO2  and i play roblox and i dont want to pt a modern card in unless i know my old pc can handle it plus its my pride and joy if ya know what i mean  but i do know alot of GPUs are better than what i got in it at the moment and i found a refurbished ATI Radeon for around $45

plus the gpu must have a DVI port cause thats what my onitors use though i will look into seeing if i can pull off the card you recomended thanks for the suggestion.