Would half installed memory give half the memory?

I know this sounds stupid,but does half installed memory give half of the memory that the DIMM is supposed to provide. I had a recent post about a loud snap when installing memory making me think that it wasnt fully installed in the first place. I never checked to see if my 1x8gb dimm was installed all the way(I only reseated it 6 months later to see if it had a loud snapped again, it didnt only a click- see my last post to see what I was talking about). If it wasnt installed all the way, would it give 4gb or just not be detected?  Im asking because im just curious if I had been using 4gb for the last 6 months. It isnt a 2x4gb kit, just 1x8gb

Half installed memory won't give you half the memory capacity... That's not how it works..

no, a fully inserted ram module receives electricity and comunicate with cpu correctly

a not properly seated ram module or doesnt get electricity to function or doesnt comunicate with system, or makes it intermitently, so will not give half of anything, it will not work or make the system not to boot at all

1 minute ago, lewdicrous said:

Half installed memory won't give you half the memory capacity... That's not how it works..

Thats what I thought, so my memory was fully installed the whole time? because it was only a 1x8gb and I was able to boot and play games and what not

1 minute ago, YuppityYap said:

Thats what I thought, so my memory was fully installed the whole time? because it was only a 1x8gb and I was able to boot and play games and what not

There is not a half installed state.  Its either installed properly or not, if its not it doesnt work at all.

Just now, YuppityYap said:

Thats what I thought, so my memory was fully installed the whole time?

Probably yea, or at least enough for all the contacts on the ram to touch the ones in the mobo

Just now, lewdicrous said:

Probably yea, or at least enough for all the contacts on the ram to touch the ones in the mobo

Weird the snapping noise was probably coming from something else then

4 minutes ago, YuppityYap said:

Weird the snapping noise was probably coming from something else then

I don't think you pushed hard enough to damage the slot, ram stick or mobo, so unless you're facing issues with the mobo or its components, I don't think there's something to worry about.

1 minute ago, lewdicrous said:

I don't think you pushed hard enough to damage the slot, ram stick or mobo, so unless you're facing issues with the mobo or its components, I don't think there's something to worry about.

Havent faces any issues, its weird because the first side slotted in fine,the second was the snapping. I got it twice and then I recently reseatted it again and it wasnt there. Is there maybe some sore of springe in the ram latches that wasnt used to the pressure but over time of having the ram slot in got used to it? thats the only solution I could come up with but im not a super intelligent person when it comes to this kind of stuff.

Just now, YuppityYap said:

Havent faces any issues, its weird because the first side slotted in fine,the second was the snapping. I got it twice and then I recently reseatted it again and it wasnt there.

Don't stress about it too much, just be gentle when inserting them and you should be fine.

2 minutes ago, YuppityYap said:

Is there maybe some sore of springe in the ram latches that wasnt used to the pressure but over time of having the ram slot in got used to it? thats the only solution I could come up with but im not a super intelligent person when it comes to this kind of stuff.

I don't think there's a spring in the slot, at least not that I know of.

Just now, lewdicrous said:

Don't stress about it too much, just be gentle when inserting them and you should be fine. 

I don't think there's a spring in the slot, at least not that I know of.

I see, maybe just a stiff one. Pc works so i dont think I should stress too much