Old system not posting

Go to solution Solved by SuperCloneRanger,

Ok, the next logical thing to test is the cpu. Same as the ram, different cpu in the board, cpu in a different board. But understandably this is not always possible, not many people have spare cpu's/motherboards lying around. You can get a compatible sempron 140 for $4.50 on ebay.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/AMD-CPU-Sempron-140-2-7GHz-Socket-AM2-AM3/182999371026

I do have some easier things you can try first though. 

Disconnect everything except what is needed to boot, no hdd's no peripherals, no fans(even the cpu fan) just the motherboard, cpu, gpu and power.

Try without the gpu, i know there's no integrated graphics but if could tell us something.

See what the battery does.

do i half to worry about the cpu power cause the blue board has 4 and the gigabyte has 8 i thinik

3 minutes ago, soulles said:

do i half to worry about the cpu power cause the blue board has 4 and the gigabyte has 8 i thinik

no its fine, the extra connector is for higher power cpu's. it should work fine with the one(assuming the cpu's not toast).

Just now, SuperCloneRanger said:

no its fine, the extra connector is for higher power cpu's. i should work fine with the one(assuming the cpu's not toast).

k

23 minutes ago, soulles said:

k

i guess it the motherboard cause it just posted just fine into the bios also the cpu is a AMD phenom ll x4 b55

Just now, soulles said:

i guess it the motherboard cause it just posted just fine into the bios also the cpu is a AMD phenom ll x4 b55

i thought it was a AMD Athlon II X4 640 am not smart lol

Just now, soulles said:

i thought it was a AMD Athlon II X4 640 am not smart lol

but it says amd athlon 2 on the cpu itself

28 minutes ago, soulles said:

If it is a Athlon II X4 640 the gigabyte board should be able to recognise it, its supported from bios v1. I can't even find an X4 B55, I can find a X2 B55. If you update the bios it may show up properly.

I just noticed on the asus website that the original motherboard needs a newer bios for the Athlon II X4 640. Because you said it was your old system i had assumed they worked together in the past. the motherboard is from 2009 the cpu is from 2011 you may just need an update.

1 minute ago, SuperCloneRanger said:

If it is a Athlon II X4 640 the gigabyte board should be able to recognise it, its supported from bios v1. I can't even find an X4 B55, I can find a X2 B55. If you update the bios it may show up properly.

I just noticed on the asus website that the original motherboard needs a newer bios for the Athlon II X4 640. Because you said it was your old system i had assumed they worked together in the past. the motherboard is from 2009 the cpu is from 2011 you may just need an update.

but how would i update it

Just now, soulles said:

if i can't even get it to boot

Just now, soulles said:

if i can't even get it to boot

on the other board

12 minutes ago, soulles said:

If you know the cpu and motherboard had worked together in the past there's no point, the motherboard is faulty. But if not it may be worth buying that cheap cpu to update and test it.

I didn't not believe you i just couldn't find it on the wiki. You do get some results on google but there's not much, it's probably just a really obscure business part.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_AMD_Phenom_microprocessors#fn_3_back

If you know the cpu and motherboard had worked together in the past there's no point, the motherboard is faulty. But if not it may be worth buying that cheap cpu to update and test it.

I didn't not believe you i just couldn't find it on the wiki. You do get some results on google but there's not much, it's probably just a really obscure business part.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_AMD_Phenom_microprocessors#fn_3_back

i have an amd fx 8320 that was in the gigabyte i can put it in the asus board also i lay it out straight am 14 but am really good with computer looking to go in to IT but i usually run in to problems like this all the time i can usually fix it my self but i am stuck so that why i turned to the forums i build my own pc i don't know why i said that lol

okay i put the amd fx 8320 in the asus board will am not longer getting red light but no display

Unfortunately the asus board does not support fx cpu's. You can use am3 cpu's on am3+ boards but it doesn't work the other way around. I don't care how old you are, you seem smart, you've been able to everything i've asked. I was an idiot at 14(can still be an idiot at times).

Just now, SuperCloneRanger said:

Unfortunately the asus board does not support fx cpu's. You can use am3 cpu's on am3+ boards but it doesn't work the other way around. I don't care how old you are, you seem smart, you've been able to everything i've asked. I was an idiot at 14(can still be an idiot at times).

oh well it fit in their fine and am not getting red light and k

Like i've been looking at this supported cpu list this whole time but never thought to share it with you.

https://www.asus.com/Motherboards/M4A87TD_EVO/HelpDesk_CPU/

thx for the help am going to switch the cpus around now back to my gigabyte board because that my nas and i run vm's on it

2 minutes ago, soulles said:

oh well it fit in their fine and am not getting red light and k

Yeah the socket is almost identical(1 pin difference) but there not compatible.

32 minutes ago, SuperCloneRanger said:

Yeah the socket is almost identical(1 pin difference) but there not compatible.

i might have AMD CPU Sempron somewhere i can try