Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Bjarnen

100 mbit instead of 1 gbit

Recommended Posts

Posted · Original PosterOP

My network card only shows 100 Mbit and can't be changed to Gbit, what do i do?

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
Just now, 5x5 said:

Buy a gigabit network card?

My built in is already a Gbit card

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Bjarnen said:

My built in is already a Gbit card

What model is it?

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Bjarnen said:

My network card only shows 100 Mbit and can't be changed to Gbit, what do i do?

Make sure your using a cat5e not a cat5, the e matters or even better use a Cat6 cable. Also try diffrent cables, 100 Mbps only uses 4 out of the 8 wires while 1 Gbps requires all 8 wires in the Ethernet cable, so if a wire or 2 is damaged then it will default down to 100 Mbps. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
1 minute ago, 5x5 said:

What model is it?

Realtek PCIe GbE Family Controller (10.34.307.2019)

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
Just now, Donut417 said:

Make sure your using a cat5e not a cat5, the e matters or even better use a Cat6 cable. Also try diffrent cables, 100 Mbps only uses 4 out of the 8 wires while 1 Gbps requires all 8 wires in the Ethernet cable, so if a wire or 2 is damaged then it will default down to 100 Mbps. 

I tried 7 different cables, all being cat 5, cat5e, cat6

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Bjarnen said:

I tried 7 different cables, all being cat 5, cat5e, cat6

What are you plugging your computer in to? Router, Swtich, gateway? Make sure the other device also has 1 Gbps ports. There are routers out there in 2019 that still use 100 Mbps ports. Both devices on each end of the cable need to support 1 Gbps to get those speeds. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
Just now, Donut417 said:

What are you plugging your computer in to? Router, Swtich, gateway? Make sure the other device also has 1 Gbps ports. There are routers out there in 2019 that still use 100 Mbps ports. Both devices on each end of the cable need to support 1 Gbps to get those speeds. 

I tried my router which has a Gbit port, as well as an access point/extender and a switch with Gbit port, nothing solving the problem

Link to post
Share on other sites

What model motherboard?

What model router and AP?

Drivers all up to date?


Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Bjarnen said:

I tried my router which has a Gbit port, as well as an access point/extender and a switch with Gbit port, nothing solving the problem

Drivers been updated? Have you tried to set the Ethernet adapters to 1 Gbps in the settings? Should be set to auto negotiate by defualt, but you should be able to change those settings. 

 

If all else fails Id try a live CD distro of Linux, to rule out OS issues. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
Just now, Lurick said:

What model motherboard?

What model router and AP?

Drivers all up to date?

I recently upgraded to a MSI b450 gaming plus motherboard. Router i have no idea, its stored in a location where i cant access now, but i know it works since it does on other PCs. Extender is Netgear WN2500rp and Netgear EX6120 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
2 minutes ago, Donut417 said:

Drivers been updated? Have you tried to set the Ethernet adapters to 1 Gbps in the settings? Should be set to auto negotiate by defualt, but you should be able to change those settings. 

 

If all else fails Id try a live CD distro of Linux, to rule out OS issues. 

I tried changing that but it doesn't apply later when i hit ok and i restarts.

Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Bjarnen said:

I recently upgraded to a MSI b450 gaming plus motherboard. Router i have no idea, its stored in a location where i cant access now, but i know it works since it does on other PCs. Extender is Netgear WN2500rp and Netgear EX6120 

Both of those extenders only have 100Mbps ports

http://www.downloads.netgear.com/files/GDC/WN2500RP/WN2500RP_DS_09Mar1218-42541.pdf

https://www.netgear.com/home/products/networking/wifi-range-extenders/EX6120.aspx


Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

Link to post
Share on other sites

Worth noting if you have some older networking gear in your setup. 

Some older equipment would run a whole network at 100base if even a single 100base device was detected. So you want to make sure all devices in your environment are using gigabit/1000base NICs. This is not really an issue with newer devices, but it was an issue I came across in the past.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/28/2019 at 9:52 AM, Bjarnen said:

My network card only shows 100 Mbit and can't be changed to Gbit, what do i do?

I'm gonna go out on a limb here and ask you to check that the pins haven't been bent on the port itself. If any of the pins are not connected or bent, luck of the draw either it will downgrade to 100mbps or it will be non-functional.

 

One docking station I found at the office was the only way to make a laptop connect at all, and it would only connect at 100Mbps, despite every identical laptop to it connecting at 1Gbps. It is seriously possible to hose an ethernet part so it can't operate at Gbit.

 

With that said, your cables matter too. There is a maximum length (including all hubs/repeaters/extenders), correct wiring, and kinks/bends/cuts in the cable will destroy it's capability to operate at 1Gbps, or even 100Mbps. If you are using extenders, they will only operate at the most stable rate and once a rate is selected it will not re-negotiate it unless the cable is unplugged. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


×