Very slow booting!

A Player

Hi!

I have a problem with my pc not booting as fast as it should. 

I have reformated my pc 3 times with nothing working.

And as you can se i already have an ssd ant it is my boot drive.

Specs:

Chassi:  Nzxt h440w 2017 Razer edition
GPU:       Msi GeForce GTX 1080
CPU:       i7-4790k 4.00MHz
CPU Cooler: Nzxt kraken x62 280mm
Mobo:     Asus Z97-AR
RAM:       32
PSU:   EVGA Supernova G2 750W
2tb western didgital
500gb Seagate
240  Ssd Kingston

21 minutes ago, The_Tron said:

Can u check if fast boot is enabled in your mobos bios?

it is not on fast boot.

24 minutes ago, The_Tron said:

maybe its cuz your cpu's running at 4MHz when it should be hitting 4GHz

How do i fix that??

Your UEFI is probably miss configured. HDD's even if they are not the main drive, can slow down the boot time depending on how their firmware was made.

Make sure the following is set in your UEFI:

• UEFI mode is Enabled (not set to "Legacy" or "BIOS" or "Disabled")
  • CSM (Compatibility Support Module) is set to Disabled
  • "Fast Boot" is Enabled
  • on your way, although unrelated: "Secure Boot" is Enabled
  • POST Delay (or something about "delay" is disabled or set to 0 sec)
  • SATA Controller is set to AHCI (can also be called "Native mode". If you see RAID mode then it is incorrect (unless you have a RAID setup), similarly if it set to IDE mode (this emulates the old school ribbon IDE cable, for allowing you to install legacy OS which don't know what SATA is)

Please note that if you had UEFI disabled or CSM enabled, you'll need to re-install Windows, and this time when you boot from your USB flash drive or disk, you pick the one that start with "UEFI: " in front of the name of the USB flash drive or disk drive. (You can convert it, but as you already start clean, will be faster to just clean install).

Why you need to re-install:

• UEFI can only work with boot drives (basically: the drive with the OS on) is set in GPT mode. BIOS can only work with drive set in MBR mode.
  • UEFI boot system works differently than for BIOS.

If you had to enable UEFI mode, or disable CSM, but it regardless boots into Windows successfully, but aware that the UEFI might detect that the drive is not properly configured, and switch to BIOS emulation mode and now attempts to boot. So, properly fixed your issue, it is best to clean install.

If those settings were set correctly already, than nothing is needed to do. If SATA controller was not correctly set, then may get a BSOD when you start Windows 10. That is fine. There are guides online on how to convert it. It involves returning it back to the original setting, and doing things in the registry, and now go back to the UEFI set it correctly, and now start Windows, or re-install Windows.

22 hours ago, The_Tron said:

maybe its cuz your cpu's running at 4MHz when it should be hitting 4GHz

I think he just did a typo.

I never saw a consumer CPU go this slow.. they'll go down to something like 800MHz or 650MHz

I think "not as fast as it should" means not as fast as producer says (like "incredible 5 seconds boot" etc). My computer POST is long too - 6 drives, additional expansion cards (sata / usb, music) and MSI bios with missing some nice features that Asus have (like ignoring additional controllers in boot process). And, what is annoying - fast boot that no longer works no matter what do you configure (three different configurations on msi boards). So yes - sometimes boot may be slow (depends what do you expect) and you can't do anything. If it's under 30 seconds - it's not slow. More important is how your system works after boot.

59 minutes ago, homeap5 said:

I think "not as fast as it should" means not as fast as producer says (like "incredible 5 seconds boot" etc). My computer POST is long too - 6 drives, additional expansion cards (sata / usb, music) and MSI bios with missing some nice features that Asus have (like ignoring additional controllers in boot process). And, what is annoying - fast boot that no longer works no matter what do you configure (three different configurations on msi boards). So yes - sometimes boot may be slow (depends what do you expect) and you can't do anything. If it's under 30 seconds - it's not slow. More important is how your system works after boot.

In that case, you need to have only 1 drive and be a decently fast SSD, running Windows 8 or 10 (with Fast Start enabled (default), and always timed from shutdown state performed from Windows 8/10), properly configured UEFI, and no dedicated GPU. You must be using Intel integrated graphics to get those times, as Intel is the only manufacture of graphic solution that cares about boot time. Nvidia and AMD and card manufactures don't care, as no reviewers don't measure the time it takes to have their graphics card.

11 hours ago, GoodBytes said:

In that case, you need to have only 1 drive and be a decently fast SSD, running Windows 8 or 10 (with Fast Start enabled (default), and always timed from shutdown state performed from Windows 8/10), properly configured UEFI, and no dedicated GPU. You must be using Intel integrated graphics to get those times, as Intel is the only manufacture of graphic solution that cares about boot time. Nvidia and AMD and card manufactures don't care, as no reviewers don't measure the time it takes to have their graphics card.

Maybe, but my gf has 9th gen H97 motherboard from MSI where FastBoot works great, even without Windows hiberboot  - POST takes about 4-5 seconds maybe, then system boot starts. And its computer with NVidia card, SSD plus additional HDD and even USB soundcard etc. It works then (for 4th/5th gen i5), but somehow not working in new motherboards. I think its some bug - BIOS Fast Boot should skip checking USB devices, extended ram testing, wait for keyboard etc.

4 hours ago, homeap5 said:

Maybe, but my gf has 9th gen H97 motherboard from MSI where FastBoot works great, even without Windows hiberboot  - POST takes about 4-5 seconds maybe, then system boot starts. And its computer with NVidia card, SSD plus additional HDD and even USB soundcard etc. It works then (for 4th/5th gen i5), but somehow not working in new motherboards. I think its some bug - BIOS Fast Boot should skip checking USB devices, extended ram testing, wait for keyboard etc.

It takes 4-5sec from the moment you hit the power button, or when you see an image on the screen?

2 hours ago, GoodBytes said:

It takes 4-5sec from the moment you hit the power button, or when you see an image on the screen?

Power button. 5 seconds to loading screen (Windows). I have fullscreen logo disabled.

44 minutes ago, homeap5 said:

Power button. 5 seconds to loading screen (Windows). I have fullscreen logo disabled.

It supposed to be ~5sec from the moment you press the power button to the desktop (assuming no password)

I can't find a good video... beside this when the feature started to appear in motherboards, with ASRock showing their full support (again, using Intel integrated graphics)

No, it's 4-5 seconds from power button to start loading Windows without hiberboot. Windows loads fast too, but that would be not annoying even if it load longer time, because it's something I can somehow improve. What I can't improve is POST time. On old motherboards was enough to disable some memory testing, checking memory change etc. Now even with those options disabled, POST still can be very slow.