Stock AMD cooler uses Thermal Adhesive WTF? (2200G)

Chaftalie
Go to solution Solved by FRSHPRNCFBLR,

Or, you know... use a thin wire or string in between cpu  and cooler to separate them. 

I just disassambled a 2200G build to update a X470 MB to support a 3600.

I ve used the stock cooler with stock thermal paste. The cooler got with the CPU on it nothing odd yet.

But I cannot get the CPU off of my cooler, its like the ve used thermal addhesive instead of paste.

the paste which got out on the sides of the CPU is not hard just like dried out thermal paste.

Any Ideas how to get the CPU off of the cooler with out the risk of bending the pins?

That sounds like the thermal paste dried up. Disconnect the cpu fan and let the cpu and thermal paste warm up. 

Then carefully twist the cooler from side to side. 

Simple... just run the pc for a while then shut down, unlock the cooler and gently twist it left and right by a tiny amount while the heatsink is still warm/hot, to loosen the thermal paste. Don't pull straight up, because you risk pulling the cpu with the heatsink out of the socket.  It's a ZIF socket, zero insertion force socket, and there's just a small amount of friction force sideways keeping cpu locked in when lever is pressed down, so if you pull too hard up, you can beat those friction forces and pull the cpu out.

It is normal... just the suction effect of the paste being strong enough to rip it out of the socket. Seasoned tinkerers would run a load to warm it up before removing, but that's a little late now unless you can remount it with the cooler attached? Otherwise, gently warm it up (e.g. hair drier) will make it easier to slide the CPU carefully off.

Main system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, Corsair Vengeance Pro 3200 3x 16GB 2R, RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

a thin wire is an excellent idea, have to use it next time ^^.

I ended up heating the cooler with an hair drier, about  60 to 70 degrees and with a lot of force it came apart.

I never saw a thermal paste that hard after such a short time span, even 10 year old PCs I disassambled never had this hard thermal paste.

Thank for the advice!