Bulk Storage Using Disk Shelves?

3 minutes ago, Kered124 said:

Alright, during POST, the device shows up as:

Avago Technologies MPT SAS2 BIOS

MTP2BIOS-7.39.02.00 (2015.08.03)

Copyright 2000-2015 Avago Technologies. All rights Reserved

After that is lists all of the hard drives I have plugged in, and moves on.

Avago is LSI btw in case you didn't know, they brought them out, then Broadcom brought them out. We're all still just used to calling them LSI.

In the SPP you should be able to find the H220_it.fw and mptsas2.rom files and flash it to an H220 in IT mode.

1 minute ago, leadeater said:

Avago is LSI btw in case you didn't know, they brought them out, then Broadcom brought them out. We're all still just used to calling them LSI.

In the SPP you should be able to find the H220_it.fw and mptsas2.rom files and flash it to an H220 in IT mode.

Ohhh okay, I'm relieved to know this hahaha! I can certainly try; Is this something the SPP should be able to do automatically, or will I need to use the CLI?

Now that I think about it, maybe I should look for a tutorial?

1 minute ago, Kered124 said:

Ohhh okay, I'm relieved to know this hahaha! I can certainly try; Is this something the SPP should be able to do automatically, or will I need to use the CLI?

Now that I think about it, maybe I should look for a tutorial?

Couldn't find the firmware in the SPP but here is the link to it: https://support.hpe.com/hpsc/swd/public/detail?swItemId=MTX_12c375f7517a4bf18d216b6bb3

4 minutes ago, leadeater said:

Couldn't find the firmware in the SPP but here is the link to it: https://support.hpe.com/hpsc/swd/public/detail?swItemId=MTX_12c375f7517a4bf18d216b6bb3

Alright; I have downloaded the firmware from the link you sent, and SAS2Flash from here: https://www.broadcom.com/support/knowledgebase/1211161501344/flashing-firmware-and-bios-on-lsi-sas-hbas 

It looks like those are the two things I need? I am a bit confused about where these commands are being typed in; is it in SAS2Flash after you are booted into a "live environment?"

19 minutes ago, Kered124 said:

It looks like those are the two things I need? I am a bit confused about where these commands are being typed in; is it in SAS2Flash after you are booted into a "live environment?"

Basically you can do it so long as the OS drive is not connected to that controller, this is why booting in to UEFI bios is a good option but I don't think your server has that. Onboard SATA port will be fine or a DOS USB boot drive with the required files on it.

Basically you can do it so long as the OS drive is not connected to that controller, this is why booting in to UEFI bios is a good option but I don't think your server has that. Onboard SATA port will be fine or a DOS USB boot drive with the required files on it.

I have FreeNas installed to a flash drive that I can currently boot to- I looks like SAS2Flash is actually built in to FreeNas by default. Can I use this?

6 minutes ago, Kered124 said:

I have FreeNas installed to a flash drive that I can currently boot to- I looks like SAS2Flash is actually built in to FreeNas by default. Can I use this?

The tool is a windows/dos one so you have to actually be able to run it

The tool is a windows/dos one so you have to actually be able to run it

Is it Windows exclusively? I tried calling it up in the CLI and it appears that Freenas comes with SAS2Flash- unless they aren't the same thing...?

sas2flash_freenas.PNG

I also notice that in the application, It is recognized as an H220, which is interesting.

Just now, Kered124 said:

I also notice that in the application, It is recognized as an H220, which is interesting.

Hmm, that is interesting, I'd still re-flash it with that actual HPE firmware though.

Freenas comes with SAS2Flash- unless they aren't the same thing

Yep same thing, use that

10 minutes ago, leadeater said:

Yep same thing, use that

I think I know what you're saying about window now.. I see that the file I just moved over to use for flashing is an .EXE file..

Here is where I am- I have found the SAS2Flash utility on Freenas, and used Filezilla to move the firmware file over from my desktop into the root folder on Freenas to keep it off of the array of drives that will likely be inaccessible upon flashing.

Root_Directory.PNG

I think I know what you're saying about window now.. I see that the file I just moved over to use for flashing is an .EXE file..

Yep but since FreeNAS has it inbuilt, LSI/Broadcom supplies it for multiple different OS types I just have you the Windows link from HPE, all you need from the download I gave you is the H220_it.fw & mptsas2.rom files.

2 minutes ago, Kered124 said:

Here is where I am- I have found the SAS2Flash utility on Freenas, and used Filezilla to move the firmware file over from my desktop into the root folder on Freenas to keep it off of the array of drives that will likely be inaccessible upon flashing.

Root_Directory.PNG

Extract cp030761.exe by running it first or using 7zip, the files you actually need are inside of it, it's just a compressed exe archive file.

image.png.c03aa9ed20a3f53deefca0681b8674f4.png

Extract cp030761.exe by running it first or using 7zip, the files you actually need are inside of it, it's just a compressed exe archive file.

I thought about running the file to check for exactly this but didn't want to somehow screw up my desktop lol, thank you! I just Moved those files over- I will try following the tutorial to flash it now!

Alright, so I have run into an error.. I did my best to document everything I have done so far in case this happened; so hopefully these screenshots help.

Before Flash.PNG

during_erase.PNG

error.PNG

7 minutes ago, Kered124 said:

Alright, so I have run into an error.. I did my best to document everything I have done so far in case this happened; so hopefully these screenshots help.

SAS2Flash utility might be too older version for the firmware maybe, I'd try putting the card in to your Windows computer and flash it there with the included sas2flash.exe

Just now, leadeater said:

SAS2Flash utility might be too older version for the firmware maybe, I'd try putting the card in to your Windows computer and flash it there with the included sas2flash.exe

Alright- Will do! I honestly didn't even consider this being an option- I am sorry for my inexperience with this sort of thing. On the plus side I do feel like I am learning a lot about this and feeling a little more confident.

Alright- Will do! I honestly didn't even consider this being an option- I am sorry for my inexperience with this sort of thing. On the plus side I do feel like I am learning a lot about this and feeling a little more confident.

If that doesn't work then from what I have been reading you actually need to boot in to DOS and use this version of SAS2Flash ,https://docs.broadcom.com/docs/12350770, an older one that doesn't care about the NVDATA.

Just now, leadeater said:

If that doesn't work then from what I have been reading you actually need to boot in to DOS and use this version of SAS2Flash ,https://docs.broadcom.com/docs/12350770, an older one that doesn't care about the NVDATA.

I had also read that in the tutorial, but I'm honestly unsure how to do it. I downloaded version 14 preemptively earlier, but didn't get any further than that. I'll give this a shot first as I already put the card into a PC and it just finished booting Windows=P

Yeah, this failed- I took screenshots of the message it gave me.

before attempt.PNG

error_Windows.PNG

Yeah, this failed- I took screenshots of the message it gave me.

Just use the SAS2Flash utility in cmd like you were in FreeNAS, I suspect you'll have the same problem though and will need to use P14 in DOS.

Edit:

In fact use the P14 version of SAS2Flash in Windows first with the H220 fw and rom files.

11 minutes ago, leadeater said:

In fact use the P14 version of SAS2Flash in Windows first with the H220 fw and rom files.

Use the files that come with sas2flash 14? or use the new files from HP's site that I extracted earlier?