Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
hawken04

good headsets that last

Recommended Posts

Posted · Original PosterOP

I’m looking for a headset that has replaceable ear cushions in case the old ones get messed up, I also want great music quality and surround sound, I don’t need a mic because I already have one. And I guess good for gaming too. (I have beats solo 3 right now)

Link to post
Share on other sites

Budget? There's a huge range of options, especially if you don't have to factor a mic into the budget. 


If I'm honest I spend more time playing with the hardware than I do playing on the hardware

 

-Rig Specs in Profile

 

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, hawken04 said:

I’m looking for a headset that has replaceable ear cushions in case the old ones get messed up, I also want great music quality and surround sound, I don’t need a mic because I already have one. And I guess good for gaming too. (I have beats solo 3 right now)

I recommend Sennheiser's. I have them myself and love them. Also just replaced the ear pads.


PC Set up 

CPU: I9-9900k

Mobo: Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Pro-Wifi

GPU: MSI RTX 2070 Gamin Z 

Cooling: Cooler Master ML360R AIO

RAM: Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB 16 GB 3000MHZ (8GB X 2) 

RAM: Corsair Vengence Pro Lighting Enhancement Kit (0GB X 2) 

Storage: Samsung 860 EVO 1TB 

PSU: EVGA SuperNova G2 750 W 80+ Gold Fully Modular 

Case: CoolerMaster MB511 RGB 

 

Build Log found here:

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
12 minutes ago, Justinzonfire said:

I recommend Sennheiser's. I have them myself and love them. Also just replaced the ear pads.

 

13 minutes ago, Froody129 said:

Budget? There's a huge range of options, especially if you don't have to factor a mic into the budget. 

Budget is 300$

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, hawken04 said:

 

Budget is 300$

For $300 you can probably nab yourself a Sennheiser he 58x or a dt 990 ,, or a he 4xx and a decentexternal amp with virtual surround sound.


Desktop audio gear: topping d10 ---> monoprice monolith Alex Cavelli Liquid Spark---> Beyerdynamic dt 990 , Sennheiser Hd 58x, AKG k240, AKG k52

My portable setup: fiioe10k, fiio ubtr---> Tin hifi T3, Koss ksc 75,

Bluetooth headphones I use: AKG y50bt,Sennheiser HD 4.40

CPU : ryzen 1300x  Motherboard: b350 PC mate RAM:16 GB ddr4 corsair lpx GPU: gtx 1060 6gb Case:phanteks p400 

Storage:x1 280 gb kingston ssd x1 1tb WD blue hdd x1 2tb seagate barraccuda 

 PSU:650 GQ Cooling:be quite! BK009 Keyboard:ducky one 2 rgb full sized Mouse:G502, Model o Operating System:win 10

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
6 minutes ago, rice guru said:

For $300 you can probably nab yourself a Sennheiser he 58x or a dt 990 ,, or a he 4xx and a decentexternal amp with virtual surround sound.

Ok I’ll check it out

Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, hawken04 said:

Ok I’ll check it out

but if you ware worried about longevity I would kinda say stay awayfrom the 990 as it has an attached cable. unless you want to pay someone to mod them for you. 


Desktop audio gear: topping d10 ---> monoprice monolith Alex Cavelli Liquid Spark---> Beyerdynamic dt 990 , Sennheiser Hd 58x, AKG k240, AKG k52

My portable setup: fiioe10k, fiio ubtr---> Tin hifi T3, Koss ksc 75,

Bluetooth headphones I use: AKG y50bt,Sennheiser HD 4.40

CPU : ryzen 1300x  Motherboard: b350 PC mate RAM:16 GB ddr4 corsair lpx GPU: gtx 1060 6gb Case:phanteks p400 

Storage:x1 280 gb kingston ssd x1 1tb WD blue hdd x1 2tb seagate barraccuda 

 PSU:650 GQ Cooling:be quite! BK009 Keyboard:ducky one 2 rgb full sized Mouse:G502, Model o Operating System:win 10

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
6 minutes ago, rice guru said:

but if you ware worried about longevity I would kinda say stay awayfrom the 990 as it has an attached cable. unless you want to pay someone to mod them for you. 

Ok

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, rice guru said:

but if you ware worried about longevity I would kinda say stay awayfrom the 990 as it has an attached cable. unless you want to pay someone to mod them for you. 

Although a removable cable would have been greatly preferred, Beyerdynamic's cables are rock solid imo. The Pro versions of their headphones are built to last for years of tough studio use. I have the DT770 myself (same thing but closed back)

 

OP, would you prefer an open or closed back (if you don't know what that is I'm happy to explain). Is portability important?


If I'm honest I spend more time playing with the hardware than I do playing on the hardware

 

-Rig Specs in Profile

 

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
12 hours ago, Froody129 said:

Although a removable cable would have been greatly preferred, Beyerdynamic's cables are rock solid imo. The Pro versions of their headphones are built to last for years of tough studio use. I have the DT770 myself (same thing but closed back)

 

OP, would you prefer an open or closed back (if you don't know what that is I'm happy to explain). Is portability important?

It’s just going to stay at my table hooked to my computer, and could you explain the difference between an open and closed back?

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, hawken04 said:

It’s just going to stay at my table hooked to my computer, and could you explain the difference between an open and closed back?

 

this is an open back

Image result for hd 58x

as you can see with the open back their is a grill on othe sidesor "back" of the heaqdphone the main qualities in sound with them is they tend to sound more open , giving you a wider soundstage which is really good for gaming. open backs tend to sound less bassy but more natural.  but open backs tend to leak sound in and out so if you are in a noisy room I would not recommend getting these. but they are better for gaming and in my opinion most music. reason why I personally use them


Desktop audio gear: topping d10 ---> monoprice monolith Alex Cavelli Liquid Spark---> Beyerdynamic dt 990 , Sennheiser Hd 58x, AKG k240, AKG k52

My portable setup: fiioe10k, fiio ubtr---> Tin hifi T3, Koss ksc 75,

Bluetooth headphones I use: AKG y50bt,Sennheiser HD 4.40

CPU : ryzen 1300x  Motherboard: b350 PC mate RAM:16 GB ddr4 corsair lpx GPU: gtx 1060 6gb Case:phanteks p400 

Storage:x1 280 gb kingston ssd x1 1tb WD blue hdd x1 2tb seagate barraccuda 

 PSU:650 GQ Cooling:be quite! BK009 Keyboard:ducky one 2 rgb full sized Mouse:G502, Model o Operating System:win 10

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
20 hours ago, rice guru said:

 

this is an open back

Image result for hd 58x

as you can see with the open back their is a grill on othe sidesor "back" of the heaqdphone the main qualities in sound with them is they tend to sound more open , giving you a wider soundstage which is really good for gaming. open backs tend to sound less bassy but more natural.  but open backs tend to leak sound in and out so if you are in a noisy room I would not recommend getting these. but they are better for gaming and in my opinion most music. reason why I personally use them

I see, so would a Razer Nari Ultimate be a good headset with open back?

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, hawken04 said:

I see, so would a Razer Nari Ultimate be a good headset with open back?

Nope I don't think it's even an open back . Looks into the Sennheiser pc37x that's a good headset for the price that's an open back


Desktop audio gear: topping d10 ---> monoprice monolith Alex Cavelli Liquid Spark---> Beyerdynamic dt 990 , Sennheiser Hd 58x, AKG k240, AKG k52

My portable setup: fiioe10k, fiio ubtr---> Tin hifi T3, Koss ksc 75,

Bluetooth headphones I use: AKG y50bt,Sennheiser HD 4.40

CPU : ryzen 1300x  Motherboard: b350 PC mate RAM:16 GB ddr4 corsair lpx GPU: gtx 1060 6gb Case:phanteks p400 

Storage:x1 280 gb kingston ssd x1 1tb WD blue hdd x1 2tb seagate barraccuda 

 PSU:650 GQ Cooling:be quite! BK009 Keyboard:ducky one 2 rgb full sized Mouse:G502, Model o Operating System:win 10

Link to post
Share on other sites

$300?
Beyerdynamic MMX 300 V2

 

You can also try V-moda Crossfade 2 wireless (Codex edition or rose gold) with a v-moda boompro mic.

You can get replacement cushions as well as other compatible boompro type mics for it.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
37 minutes ago, Falkentyne said:

$300?
Beyerdynamic MMX 300 V2

 

You can also try V-moda Crossfade 2 wireless (Codex edition or rose gold) with a v-moda boompro mic.

You can get replacement cushions as well as other compatible boompro type mics for it.

 

55 minutes ago, rice guru said:

Nope I don't think it's even an open back . Looks into the Sennheiser pc37x that's a good headset for the price that's an open back

I’ll check them out

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP

So I looked through a bit, and those headphones are darn good except the V-moda are a bit expensive, the MMX 300 are definitely considerable. Would a sennheiser HD 6xx be good? I really do want open back now that you have explained it to me.

Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, hawken04 said:

So I looked through a bit, and those headphones are darn good except the V-moda are a bit expensive, the MMX 300 are definitely considerable. Would a sennheiser HD 6xx be good? I really do want open back now that you have explained it to me.

Weird.  When I bought the Rose Gold (not the Codex), they were $250, putting them in MMX 300 range when you include the boom mic.

Not sure why both the non codex and codex are the same price.  That's bizarre.

 

Maybe give Amazon a call and ask them what's up with the logic in that price.  The newer version (with aac and aptx) should not be the same price as the older one (with only aptx).

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, hawken04 said:

So I looked through a bit, and those headphones are darn good except the V-moda are a bit expensive, the MMX 300 are definitely considerable. Would a sennheiser HD 6xx be good? I really do want open back now that you have explained it to me.

The 6xx isn't good for gaming . The 58x is though. One of the best options out there for gaming. But my choice open back for gaming is the dt990


Desktop audio gear: topping d10 ---> monoprice monolith Alex Cavelli Liquid Spark---> Beyerdynamic dt 990 , Sennheiser Hd 58x, AKG k240, AKG k52

My portable setup: fiioe10k, fiio ubtr---> Tin hifi T3, Koss ksc 75,

Bluetooth headphones I use: AKG y50bt,Sennheiser HD 4.40

CPU : ryzen 1300x  Motherboard: b350 PC mate RAM:16 GB ddr4 corsair lpx GPU: gtx 1060 6gb Case:phanteks p400 

Storage:x1 280 gb kingston ssd x1 1tb WD blue hdd x1 2tb seagate barraccuda 

 PSU:650 GQ Cooling:be quite! BK009 Keyboard:ducky one 2 rgb full sized Mouse:G502, Model o Operating System:win 10

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
2 hours ago, rice guru said:

The 6xx isn't good for gaming . The 58x is though. One of the best options out there for gaming. But my choice open back for gaming is the dt990

I’ll check it out, thanks for the suggestions

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
3 hours ago, Falkentyne said:

Weird.  When I bought the Rose Gold (not the Codex), they were $250, putting them in MMX 300 range when you include the boom mic.

Not sure why both the non codex and codex are the same price.  That's bizarre.

 

Maybe give Amazon a call and ask them what's up with the logic in that price.  The newer version (with aac and aptx) should not be the same price as the older one (with only aptx).

I’ll give them a call to see the logic.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Desktop audio gear: topping d10 ---> monoprice monolith Alex Cavelli Liquid Spark---> Beyerdynamic dt 990 , Sennheiser Hd 58x, AKG k240, AKG k52

My portable setup: fiioe10k, fiio ubtr---> Tin hifi T3, Koss ksc 75,

Bluetooth headphones I use: AKG y50bt,Sennheiser HD 4.40

CPU : ryzen 1300x  Motherboard: b350 PC mate RAM:16 GB ddr4 corsair lpx GPU: gtx 1060 6gb Case:phanteks p400 

Storage:x1 280 gb kingston ssd x1 1tb WD blue hdd x1 2tb seagate barraccuda 

 PSU:650 GQ Cooling:be quite! BK009 Keyboard:ducky one 2 rgb full sized Mouse:G502, Model o Operating System:win 10

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
Just now, hawken04 said:

They look good but I couldn’t find if they had surround sound

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
12 hours ago, hawken04 said:

 

I see, I need a sound card, well I would need to fit that in that 320$ budget, anyone know good sound cards under 100$ (I probably could squeeze 340$ in for the whole headset and sound card but, I really wanna stay under 300$ if possible)

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


×