Small form factor high storage advice

Afternoon all

Can anyone reccomend a small form factor MOBO with a decent number of SATA plugs? Everything i find seems to only have 4 max i was hoping for at least 6, not exactly standard i know.

Its not the end of the world if i have to go with an ATX board but figured i would see if anyone knew of anything before i change tac

Thanks

11 minutes ago, RedShift7 said:

Afternoon all

Can anyone reccomend a small form factor MOBO with a decent number of SATA plugs? Everything i find seems to only have 4 max i was hoping for at least 6, not exactly standard i know.

Its not the end of the world if i have to go with an ATX board but figured i would see if anyone knew of anything before i change tac

Thanks

AMD or Intel?

7 minutes ago, IBM_THINKPAD_R51 said:

AMD or Intel?

sorry forgot to mention that, preferably AMD. looking at a R3 3200g at the moment, but i dont really have a preference either way. storage is my main driver at this point

1 minute ago, RedShift7 said:

sorry forgot to mention that, preferably AMD. looking at a R3 3200g at the moment, but i dont really have a preference either way. storage is my main driver at this point

ASUS AM4 TUF Gaming X570-Plus (Wi-Fi)

it has 8 sata ports, might be a bit  expensive at $199 but its x570 and has lost of bells and whistles 

https://www.newegg.com/p/N82E16813119197

2 minutes ago, goto10 said:

you could buy a microatx motherboard with 4 ports, then add one or two of these

https://www.amazon.com/Ziyituod-Controller-Express-Expression-Converter/dp/B07S8CB398/ref=mp_s_a_1_9?keywords=sata+card&qid=1564058486&s=gateway&sr=8-9

also a lot of "Y" sata power splitters

why do ypu need more that 4 sata ports?

id never thought of using those. always nice to have options so thanks lol

i have alot of uncompressed blu ray etc files that i currently have stored on various external HDD, im wanting to consolidate in to a single media server. my reasoning for wanting more than 4 SATA is purely for expansion in the future

Just now, wojtepanik said:

it's microAtx, I quess he wants itx board

yeah i tried searching on amazon and newegg but i could only find these two

ATX:  

ASUS AM4 TUF Gaming X570-Plus (Wi-Fi)

it has 8 sata ports, might be a bit  expensive at $199 but its x570 and has lost of bells and whistles 

https://www.newegg.com/p/N82E16813119197

Micro ATX:  

ASRock X570M PRO4 AM4 AMD X570

https://www.newegg.com/p/N82E16813157887?Item=N82E16813157887&Description=amd motherboard&cm_re=amd_motherboard-_-13-157-887-_-Product

2 minutes ago, wojtepanik said:

his next best thing it an add-in sata card (weather he wants RAID or not is a different story)

3 minutes ago, wojtepanik said:

tbh smaller the better, but nothing is set in stone yet so im open to suggestions. its essentially a NAS / Home server im wanting to build, . if i have to go with ATX thats fine, was just wondering what other people knew about on the market as i hadnt been able to find much my self

Edited by RedShift7
more info

47 minutes ago, RedShift7 said:

tbh smaller the better, but nothing is set in stone yet so im open to suggestions. its essentially a NAS / Home server im wanting to build, . if i have to go with ATX thats fine, was just wondering what other people knew about on the market as i hadnt been able to find much my self

Well, 4 drives + NVMe isn't bad either imho. You can build a RAID 5 with it or go with a RAID 10 or RAID 01 (depending on your chipset, software or hardware raid, etc). RAID 3 is also possible. So why exactly do you need more than 4 SATA ports in addition to an M.2 slot?

The MSI B450i Gaming Plus AC gets the job done: best VRMs of all 1st and 2nd gen Ryzen ITX boards, 4 SATA ports, 1 M.2. The chipset itself supports RAID 0, 1 and 10. With 2TB drives that makes at best 4TB with full redundancy. Get a software RAID 5 and you'll get 6TB with one drive parity. If you need more, I'd suggest going for a dedicated NAS.

Use the quote function when answering! Mark people directly if you want an answer from them!