Windows Explorer can't move OGG files

tippytipper

Hi, I'm running Windows 10 (18362.239)

I'm having massive problems with OGG files, I can't move them anywhere without the Window in Explorer locking up.

I can't put them in the trash, I can't move a folder of them, I can't rename a folder containing them.

I can expand a zip containing OGG files but then I can't move the files anywhere.

I was wondering if this is just me, or a bug with Windows?

1 minute ago, FlappyBoobs said:

There was a reddit post about this not long ago, the TLDR is to uninstall "Web Media Extensions".

Sidenote: Web Extensions is used by games and websites to display content that's not normally supported under Windows so removing it might cause other things to stop working.

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

Thanks to both of you ? after searching around I spotted the Web Media Extensions in the Microsoft Store (I never use the Store and disable all updates as my internet is limited/slow).

I noticed there is an update available for the Web Media Extensions, but I couldn't find an option to uninstall, does anyone know if this is possible?

Have you tried moving/deleting the files from cmd?  The commands would be

move

or

del

Thanks, I tried moving the OGG files using a couple of file managers but had the same issue.

In the end, the update to Web Media Extensions in the Microsoft Store fixed the problem ?

Thanks again for everyone's help and advice ?

38 minutes ago, tippytipper said:

Hi, I'm running Windows 10 (18362.239)

I'm having massive problems with OGG files, I can't move them anywhere without the Window in Explorer locking up.

I can't put them in the trash, I can't move a folder of them, I can't rename a folder containing them.

I can expand a zip containing OGG files but then I can't move the files anywhere.

I was wondering if this is just me, or a bug with Windows?

i can move them just fine...windows can moves files even though it doesnt know what t it is...maybe you have a program thats messing with explorer?

Just now, IBM_THINKPAD_R51 said:

i can move them just fine...windows can moves files even though it doesnt know what t it is...maybe you have a program thats messing with explorer?

Hi, thanks, I solved it in the end (see above).

The Web Media Extensions app component in the Microsoft Store needed updating to fix the issue.

I have Microsoft Store auto updates disabled; for some reason it appears Microsoft decided to include this system update as part of the Store and not Windows Update ?

On 7/25/2019 at 7:42 PM, homeap5 said:

@FlappyBoobs give you a hint and reason why this happens, so you should mark his post as best answer, not yours.

Hi, I didn't intend to mark my solution as the best answer, I just wanted the post marked as solved and I thought my reply sumarised the answer to save people searching.
All credit goes to everyone who helped including @FlappyBoobs ?

So for now the post is marked as unsolved, moderators are welcome to mark it as solved and choose whatever reply they think it suitable.

• 1 year later...

I'm running windows 10 (19041.1052)

I have the same issue but this fix doesn't work. I can open and play the .ogg file but do nothing else with it.

I have no idea how I did it. I opened it in notepad deleted all the text so it was 0 bytes, then I moved so many other files it forced the broken .ogg ones out of a queue and they vanished.

Edited by ThatCat