$1700 1440p Gaming PC

NotMrTaco

Alright, so to keep things simple, I'm getting a new pc and wanted some feedback on what i've come up with so far. I want a case that supports front i/o usb type-c which is why the lancool one digital is there. I know MSI is doing a promotion (not really sure if its still going on), but they give away stuff like liquid coolers steam gift cards, which made me want to get a meg x570 ace, but I bumped it down to save some cash. My whole Plan essentially is to get a case that has a dark tempered glass side panel hence the tinted one on the lancool one, and have only the RGB illumination be visible.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 3.6 GHz 8-Core Processor  ($329.00 @ B&H)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master MasterAir MA410M 53.38 CFM CPU Cooler  ($64.84 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: Asus ROG Strix X570-E Gaming ATX AM4 Motherboard  ($328.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Memory: G.Skill Trident Z RGB 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory  ($155.99 @ Newegg)
Video Card: MSI GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER 8 GB GAMING X TRIO Video Card  ($539.99 @ B&H)
Case: Lian-Li LANCOOL ONE Digital ATX Mid Tower Case  ($96.38 @ Walmart)
Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA G1+ 650 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply  ($89.49 @ SuperBiiz)
Custom: Sabrent 1TB Rocket NVMe PCIe M.2 2280 Internal SSD High Performance Solid State Drive (SB-ROCKET-1TB)  ($109.99)
Total: $1714.67
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-07-24 23:44 EDT-0400

1) You can get 2x16GB G.Skill Ripjaws V 3600Mhz DDR4 for $143.12 USD (cheaper than your slower 3200Mhz)

2) Just get a B450 motherboard + free UEFI kit from AMD and save $200

3) The 3700X’s performance will be limited on air, so get a Cooler Master MasterLiquid ML240L RGB liquid cpu cooler for maybe $10 more

Other than that, it looks pretty good.

9 hours ago, EpicWaffles449 said:

3) The 3700X’s performance will be limited on air, so get a Cooler Master MasterLiquid ML240L RGB liquid cpu cooler for maybe $10 more

No it won't. An air cooler is fine for the 3700X.

Also, don't forget thermal paste

You don't need thermal paste. The cooler comes with it already.

The 3700X’s performance will be limited on air

Nope, the noctua cooler beats most if not all 240/280mm AIO coolers in temps and noise. And for half the price to boot.

You're suggesting a midrange AIO stating that it will outperform air as a blanket statement...

A Dark Rock Pro 4 or NH-D15 will always beat out a ML240L. And it will even trade blows with / beat an H100i in most cases.

If you're going to suggest an AIO over ALL AIR at least go with something that beats out an $80 air cooler.

10 hours ago, NotMrTaco said:

CPU Cooler: Cooler Master MasterAir MA410M 53.38 CFM CPU Cooler  ($64.84 @ Newegg)

That unit isn't spectacular, especially for the price. The MA620P is the superior cooling unit, and usually not a whole lot more than that one.

Either way you're looking at a fairly noisy unit in comparison to something like the Dark Rock Pro 4 and getting a performance drop in the name of RGB.

Get a free UEFI bios kit. Mobo is interchangeable really, I just love the aesthetics on the b450-f

I lurk 

HP Spectre x360 13t late 2019
Core i5 1035g4
8gb ram
256GB NVME SSD
HP 24mh FHD Monitor 

OnePlus 5
Jabra evolve 75
Razer Blackwidow Lite

Steelseries Rival 3

3 minutes ago, Boinbo said:

Get a free UEFI bios kit. Mobo is interchangeable really, I just love the aesthetics on the b450-f

Why would you put yourself through the hassle of getting a boot kit when you can just get an X570 board and have it working out of the box ? Also that board is sub par anyway.

1 minute ago, lee32uk said:

Why would you put yourself through the hassle of getting a boot kit when you can just get an X570 board and have it working out of the box ? Also that board is sub par anyway.

Or even just an MSI 400 series with a BIOS flash.

9 minutes ago, trevb0t said:

Or even just an MSI 400 series with a BIOS flash.

A lot of people have been having issues though with bios flashback. If you want it to work 100% then X570 is the better option at least until the MAX boards appear.

18 minutes ago, lee32uk said:

Most x570 boards are expensive is why. I know the board.is sub par, I said the Mobo is interchangeable anyway

I lurk 

Core i5 1035g4
8gb ram
256GB NVME SSD
HP 24mh FHD Monitor 

OnePlus 5
Jabra evolve 75
Razer Blackwidow Lite

Steelseries Rival 3

16 minutes ago, lee32uk said:

A lot of people have been having issues though with bios flashback. If you want it to work 100% then X570 is the better option at least until the MAX boards appear.

Was that with all of them, or just with the Tomahawk though? That's the only one I've really seen anything about.

9 minutes ago, trevb0t said:

Was that with all of them, or just with the Tomahawk though? That's the only one I've really seen anything about.

The Tomahawk seems to be the main one, but I think any MSI board with bios flashback is prone to the same problems. 

50 minutes ago, Boinbo said:

Most x570 boards are expensive is why. I know the board.is sub par, I said the Mobo is interchangeable anyway

Yes they are, but he has a $1700 budget so it's not like he can't afford to buy one. An entry level X570 is only about an extra $40 - $50.

4 minutes ago, lee32uk said:

Yes they are, but he has a $1700 budget so it's not like he can't afford to buy one. An entry level X570 is only about an extra $40 - $50.

Yeah your right, I could've used an x570 board. I just don't know which are the bad, meh, and good ones.yet. so iwas hesitant to suggest a bad x570

I lurk 

Core i5 1035g4
8gb ram
256GB NVME SSD
HP 24mh FHD Monitor 

OnePlus 5
Jabra evolve 75
Razer Blackwidow Lite

Steelseries Rival 3

12 hours ago, NotMrTaco said:

I'll recommend something like this instead...

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 3.6 GHz 8-Core Processor  ($329.00 @ B&H) 
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 82.5 CFM CPU Cooler  ($89.95 @ Amazon) 
Motherboard: Asus PRIME X570-P ATX AM4 Motherboard  ($169.99 @ Newegg) 
Memory: G.Skill Sniper X 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3600 Memory  ($86.99 @ Newegg) 
Storage: Mushkin Enhanced Helix-L 1 TB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive  ($98.99 @ Amazon) 
Video Card: Sapphire Radeon RX 5700 XT 8 GB Video Card  ($399.99 @ B&H) Placeholder for aib version
Case: Fractal Design Meshify C ATX Mid Tower Case  ($89.99 @ Walmart) 
Power Supply: BitFenix Formula Gold 550 W 80+ Gold Certified ATX Power Supply  ($69.00 @ Amazon) 
Total: $1333.90
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-07-25 11:52 EDT-0400

SSD TIER LIST

CPU - Ryzen 7 3700X

Mobo - ASRock X470 Taichi

Memory - G.Skill Trident Z RGB (8x2 3200MHz) 

Storage - Sabrent Rocket 1TB - Seagate Barracuda 2TBWD Black 1TB

GPU - MSI GeForce GTX 980Ti LIGHTNING

CaseFractal Design Meshify C

PSUSuper Flower Leadex II Gold 650W

I'll post an Intel build, since they are still leading on the gaming front a bit.

I used a 9700K and RTX 2080. You could easily go 9900K and 2070 Super with a DRP4 cooler for about the same price. If it's just for gaming, the 9700K doesnt lose many frames to its superior, and the 2080 is still a decided improvement over the 2070 Super:

14 hours ago, trevb0t said:

You're suggesting a midrange AIO stating that it will outperform air as a blanket statement...

A Dark Rock Pro 4 or NH-D15 will always beat out a ML240L. And it will even trade blows with / beat an H100i in most cases.

If you're going to suggest an AIO over ALL AIR at least go with something that beats out an $80 air cooler.

That unit isn't spectacular, especially for the price. The MA620P is the superior cooling unit, and usually not a whole lot more than that one.

Either way you're looking at a fairly noisy unit in comparison to something like the Dark Rock Pro 4 and getting a performance drop in the name of RGB.

I saw on some reviews, the dr4 is in the same area in terms of temps as the drp4. The dr4 is much smaller compared to the drp4 which would allow me to get taller ram. Would you choose the dr4 or just the drp4?

11 minutes ago, NotMrTaco said:

I saw on some reviews, the dr4 is in the same area in terms of temps as the drp4. The dr4 is much smaller compared to the drp4 which would allow me to get taller ram. Would you choose the dr4 or just the drp4?

The DR4 is a fine cooler. In my build above you'll see that I used the Freezer 34 eSports Duo which is really not a huge step down in quality for a significant price drop as well.

Though if you look over the build I listed... It's superior in plenty of ways for gaming.

If you ar elooking for x570 go for the Asus tuf ga I g WiFi (200$) if you wan't wifi or the gigabyte elite x570 if no WiFi needed