Thread For Tech Quickie Video Suggestions

I would like to suggest that you do a short on WPS push button and why or why you shouldn't use it. More or less talk about some of its vulnerabilities.

How does casting to a smart TV work?  Which smart TV OSs are likely the best investment for future compatibility, considering current market trends?

Not really tech quickie, but i would like to see Titan V overclocked versus RTX 2080 TI overclocked, because there is no legit comparison on internet. I mean before 2000series in that promo video, somebody mentioned that Titan V users will be mad. 

has linus done a video review on rtx and the resulting loss of fps yet?

The difference between the super cheap junk ssd's that are missing the Dram vs an SSD with Dram.

I would really like a decent understanding of IRQs and what the conflicts in the MSINFO32 mean tangibly AND if there are issues with conflicts how we would fix them! For example:

image.thumb.png.ef7f1f46608aa0ac0788d144285c9f2e.png

On 10/23/2018 at 4:51 PM, JamieW said:

THE TERRIBLE THUNDERBOLT SUPPORT ON PC

Paragraph formatting would actually help the reader in reading whatever that wall of words was. Otherwise people just move onto the next "idea" / post. Now as we all know, Linus and team sell out to the highest bidder so if he thinks him and his team can get average or above average clicks, there is no doubt he will make a video for you on TB support on pc.

Google's "Android One" program, which addresses the biggest shortfall of Android phones (compared to iOS) by guaranteeing 3 years of monthly security updates on all its phone models: 

Monthly security updates to be supported for at least 3 years after initial phone release.

And/or, Android security updates in general.  

Youtube recommendation algorithms

On 4/25/2013 at 4:11 PM, LinusTech said:

The old thread in the vBulletin forum got lost in the migration (don't worry I still have access to it and I'll still look at it) so I'm creating a new one.

Guidelines

1. Video should be possible to watch in 1-2 minutes.
 2. No elaborate props. If we can't shoot it in the white box with a couple of demonstrative pieces, it's probably not feasible.
 3. Keep it simple! The idea here is to simplify computer concepts to the point where your mom can understand it. Not looking for "how to peel the ramspreaders off your memory"

I will read these suggestions, but I may not reply to this thread very often. That doesn't mean I'm not paying attention, it just means I'm busy creating lots of new video content 

If you haven't heard of Tech Quickie, it's another YouTube channel we run for paid content and the ever-popular "Fast As Possible" series.

Techquickie's channel - YouTube

Learn about the latest cool technology in only a couple minutes! Hosted by Linus Sebastian

DKIM Verification? Never heard of it before or really thought about how sending emails is secure and now with all this stuff about the Fallout 76 Bethesda employee’s email there was a post on Reddit where they confirmed it was real by checking the DKIM

I saw an ad for an interesting remote, would be cool to see a video on it. It apparently can automatically select what device to control based on where the controller is pointed. Controls TV's, cable boxes, gaming consoles, and smart home / IoT devices like Wemo and Phillips Hue. https://sevenhugs.com/ Likely a gimmick, but still a neat concept and would be fun to play around with. 

On 4/25/2013 at 8:11 AM, LinusTech said:

The old thread in the vBulletin forum got lost in the migration (don't worry I still have access to it and I'll still look at it) so I'm creating a new one.

Guidelines

1. Video should be possible to watch in 1-2 minutes.
 2. No elaborate props. If we can't shoot it in the white box with a couple of demonstrative pieces, it's probably not feasible.
 3. Keep it simple! The idea here is to simplify computer concepts to the point where your mom can understand it. Not looking for "how to peel the ramspreaders off your memory"

I will read these suggestions, but I may not reply to this thread very often. That doesn't mean I'm not paying attention, it just means I'm busy creating lots of new video content 

If you haven't heard of Tech Quickie, it's another YouTube channel we run for paid content and the ever-popular "Fast As Possible" series.

Techquickie's channel - YouTube

Learn about the latest cool technology in only a couple minutes! Hosted by Linus Sebastian

Well, how about the basics of building a pc and what each connection does, as well as why thats important

A quick video about store bought audio (headphones, speakers, monitors with speakers) have an EQ Curve that rolls off the low end and rolls off the high end to make compressed audio sound better. Even a quick overview of compressed audio standards to help mom and dad (and the occasional millenial)

How to Test a Power Supply

Potentially Include:

• How to "Jump Start" a PSU using a paper clip and which pins to connect it to.
  • Is a "power supply tester" worth buying or just use a multimeter for better accuracy?  (Such as the Thermaltake Dr. Power II Automated Power Supply Tester Oversized LCD for All Power Supplies - AC0015 on Amazon)
  • Acceptable voltage readings and tolerances if using a multimeter to test the pins.
  • How to test the PSU under load -- and how do you generate a load?  (That's what she said.)

Should be about a 5 minute video or so.

Distributed Computing As Fast As Possible

Note:  Referring to end user distributed computing projects, not really enterprise/mainframe application architectures....

Potentially Include:

• Definition of Distributed Computing.
  • Brief history of the "O.G." projects, such as:
    • Distributed.net's RSA RC5 contests starting in the 1990s
    • SETI@home and the creation of the BOINC free and open source framework which is home to many projects
    • Stanford's Folding@home project (2000 I believe)
    • Great Internet Mersennes Prime Search (GIMPS) which uses Prime95.
  • Briefly mention what an "idle CPU cycle" is and how these projects really don't hurt your computer experience since they only consume idle CPU cycles (i.e. run at idle priority).
  • No drawbacks other than some heat generation and power consumption.  Maybe noisy if running on a laptop or ultracompact computer with sucky cooling.
  • Both CPU and GPU projects available.  Way better to humanity than e.g. cryptocurrency mining.  E.g. better to cure cancer, AIDS, malaria, influenza, Ebola, and find aliens than cryptocurrency.  (opinion)
  • Many projects available to cater to anyone's interests whether medicine/biology/computational chemistry, to astrophysics, to mathematics, to climate modeling/prediction, to finding more efficient water filters and solar panels.  Example list of projects on BOINC:  https://boinc.berkeley.edu/projects.php
  • Easily conclude by plugging the LTT teams for Folding@home and other projects (are there others?).

Satellite Navigation Systems

Example intro script:  I guess many take for granted the GPS navigation systems now built into every smartphone, most tablets, many newer vehicles, and O.G. devices from Garmin, TomTom, Magellan, etc., but what's the history of GPS?  And what's GLONASS?

Simple, layman intro, potentially including:

• How triangulation works, minimum # of satellite locks to get a position.
  • How GPS receivers know what time it is (e.g. each satellite has an atomic click onboard, not unlike the atomic clocks time radios at NIST/Ft. Collins, Japan, China, etc.)

Potentially include different systems that are operational or being launched:

• Difference in accuracy between free, civilian use and military use
  • Explain why other constellations are going live as alternatives to GPS (war?  redundancy in case the owning nation disables their constellation for free usage)

How Song Recognition Works

(No really, how does it work?)

• SoundHound app and other similar apps
  • Google YouTube algorithm that recognizes songs for copyright strikes
  • My Google Pixel 2 phone automatically recognizes many songs offline - what kind of black magic is this?

On 11/28/2018 at 6:49 PM, Abe_R said:

sending emails is secure

emails are only secured if you go out of your way to make them secure, overall they were never secure. With Google, they sell every bit of info they can get their hands on!

Undersea Fiber Optic Cables

Maybe a TechQuickie video nerding out on all the bazillion undersea fiber optic cables linking continents together (find a pic showing just how many there are).  Some clips of ships traversing oceans dropping thousands of miles of thick fiber cables shrouded in steel (or whatever metal).  Maybe include how individual megacorps like Microsoft and Facebook are laying their own trans-national cables.

What is Wi-Fi 6?

I know there's already TechQuickie videos on 802.11ax and other standards, but surely the new branding is going to confuse consumers and nerds alike, and I see many YouTube searches in 2019 from confused consumers.

Maybe include:

• IEEE is the standards body that comes out with 802.11, and each amendment goes down the alphabet, bringing us major standards like 802.11a, b, g, n, ac, ax.
  • Wi-Fi Alliance is a group of companies that are in charge of making sure products from different companies are interoperable and play nice with each other.  Also in charge of marketing and certification.
  • Maybe a nice table with IEEE in one column and Wi-Fi alliance in the second column.
    IEEE    Wi-Fi Alliance
    802.11ax     Wi-Fi 6
    802.11ac     Wi-Fi 5
    802.11n     Wi-Fi 4

4 minutes ago, dahoff said:

Maybe include:

They already maximized their profit on that subject, I doubt they'd return to that subject matter.

10 minutes ago, Canada EH said:

https://www.submarinecablemap.com/

Vancouver left out of the loop :(

Odd how the French territory of St Pierre and Minquelon inside Canada has fibre optic cables.

Milton, Newfoundland and Labrador, Canada  gets the honor.

I bet Vancouver just taps into Seattle via land.  I'd LOL if Linus Media Group got their own undersea cable though... to Taipei for better Computex coverage?  *shrug*

Thanks for the link!  That's a cool map.

I bet every one of those is tapped by secret squirrel spy agencies and scuba divers (seriously).  *tightens tinfoil hat*

1 minute ago, dahoff said:

I bet every one of those is tapped by secret squirrel spy agencies and scuba divers (seriously).  *tightens tinfoil hat*

I am not authorized to say anything.