Thread For Tech Quickie Video Suggestions

On 12/2/2017 at 2:10 AM, hey_yo_ said:

What are optical answer sheets? How do they work and why does it need #2 pencils only? 

It's actually pretty funny. #2 isn't a standard at all. It just means that the pencil is a normal writing pencil, and each manufacturer gets to decide what that means. So the test makers basically just mean that you shouldn't use any kind of funky art pencil and should just use a normal pencil.

Current LTT F@H Rank: 90    Score: 2,503,680,659    Stats

Yes, I have 9 monitors.

My main PC (Hybrid Windows 10/Arch Linux):

OS: Arch Linux w/ XFCE DE (VFIO-Patched Kernel) as host OS, windows 10 as guest

CPU: Ryzen 9 3900X w/PBO on (6c 12t for host, 6c 12t for guest)

Cooler: Noctua NH-D15

Mobo: Asus X470-F Gaming

RAM: 32GB G-Skill Ripjaws V @ 3200MHz (12GB for host, 20GB for guest)

GPU: Guest: EVGA RTX 3070 FTW3 ULTRA Host: 2x Radeon HD 8470

PSU: EVGA G2 650W

SSDs: Guest: Samsung 850 evo 120 GB, Samsung 860 evo 1TB Host: Samsung 970 evo 500GB NVME

HDD: Guest: WD Caviar Blue 1 TB

Case: Fractal Design Define R5 Black w/ Tempered Glass Side Panel Upgrade

Other: White LED strip to illuminate the interior. Extra fractal intake fan for positive pressure.

unRAID server (Plex, Windows 10 VM, NAS, Duplicati, game servers):

CPU: Ryzen R7 2700x @ Stock

Cooler: Noctua NH-U9S

Mobo: Asus Prime X470-Pro

RAM: 16GB G-Skill Ripjaws V + 16GB Hyperx Fury Black @ stock

GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 FTW2

PSU: EVGA G3 850W

SSD: Samsung 970 evo NVME 250GB, Samsung 860 evo SATA 1TB 

HDDs: 4x HGST Dekstar NAS 4TB @ 7200RPM (3 data, 1 parity)

Case: Sillverstone GD08B

Other: Added 3x Noctua NF-F12 intake, 2x Noctua NF-A8 exhaust, Inatek 5 port USB 3.0 expansion card with usb 3.0 front panel header

Details: 12GB ram, GTX 1080, USB card passed through to windows 10 VM. VM's OS drive is the SATA SSD. Rest of resources are for Plex, Duplicati, Spaghettidetective, Nextcloud, and game servers.

How social media works. This should be a good(hot) subject.

Keep up the good work LMG!

@jmart604 @LinusTech Here's a topic I think TQ needs to cover not only because LTT has a large European following but the scope is very important and worth discussing: General Data Protection Regulation or GDPR as fast as possible. It will now take effect for member countries for the EU in May 25th, 2018. http://ec.europa.eu/justice/data-protection/reform/files/regulation_oj_en.pdf

Edited by hey_yo_

There is more that meets the eye
I see the soul that is inside

What Motherboard connectors are important and maybe a little explanation of others (RGB header, USB 3.0, etc)

Case: Corsair 570 Crystal RGB White CPU: Ryzen 5 2400G CPU Cooler: Cooler master ML120 RGB Memory: Patriot 8GB DDR4 2667mhz Storage: WD Black 1TB Kingston A400 120gb SSD Power Supply: Thermaltake 500 watt Smart

On 1/13/2018 at 10:40 AM, FireController1847 said:

What is Discord as fast as possible :P

Discord is Slack.

Maybe mention that it is a slack ripo.. that it is based on Slack.

When the PC is acting up haunted,

who ya gonna call?
"Monotone voice" : A local computer store.

*Terrible joke I know*

Why are films filmed at 24/25fps and look buttery smooth yet a game at the same fps will look choppy as anything

I'd like to know why it is so damn hard to get a POTS telephone line as opposed to a VOIP line.  You would not believe the hoops I had to jump through to get one of these.

Where can I provide feedback on a TechQuickie?  The signal blocker / Faraday cage episode attempts to explain why/how a Faraday cage works and it provides an incorrect interpretation of the physics.  The video provides an example of how opposite charges cancel the field as a static field is applied across the cage. This is correct, but a traveling radio wave is not the same thing as a static electric field therefore the phenomenology is different.  This video presents it as one and the same.  It's not a huge deal, but I do think @LinusTech does care about accuracy in these videos.

Also, the metal sheath on cables is not there solely to provide shielding, in high frequency applications it is there because together with the center conductor it acts like a waveguide structure.  Without it higher frequency signals would not propagate efficiently whatsoever.

If any of the staff read this, please feel free to contact me for more info.  This is something I do professionally and electromagnetics is a territory that can be easily misinterpreted relying solely on a Google search or by reading a Wikipedia entry.

7 hours ago, Mattson said:

I'd like to know why it is so damn hard to get a POTS telephone line as opposed to a VOIP line.  You would not believe the hoops I had to jump through to get one of these.

Who still uses landlines nowadays, i only have one because my ISP wouldn't sell me internet WITHOUT one

3 hours ago, Tcrumpen said:

Who still uses landlines nowadays, i only have one because my ISP wouldn't sell me internet WITHOUT one

They are needed for home security systems and people with Life Alert and similar products.  I needed one because I work from home and it is necessary to do my job.

1 minute ago, Mattson said:

They are needed for home security systems and people with Life Alert and similar products.  I needed one because I work from home and it is necessary to do my job.

Home security i get, but working from home? can you not get a business mobile?

On 1/13/2018 at 9:40 AM, FireController1847 said:

What is Discord as fast as possible :P

It's a VOIP voice/chat service

47 minutes ago, Tcrumpen said:

can you not get a business mobile?

No.

Was checking around amazon and saw the GTX 1050 TI (The "budget" Card) is not selling for almost $500. Maybw make a video talking about miners killing the lower end of the market

Screenshot_20180120-100405.png

what is Tech Re-marketing?

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

The letters for Intel CPUs:

K, H, Q, M, C, T, S, ect.

ORANGE SCREEN WINDOWS 10 VALUE OVER TIME - PC VS MAC

Spoiler

i5 7600k @ 5.0 GHz xD

Corsair H60 with Noctua NF-F12 iPPC-3000 PWM

MSI Z270-A Pro Motherboard

EVGA 1050 Ti SC

16 GB Corsair DDR4 @ 2400 MHz

500 GB Sandisk 950 PRO - Windows 10, Elementary OS, Zorin OS

500 GB Sandisk 850 PRO

1 TB WD Blue

Corsair CX750

1 x Corsair AF120 Quiet Red Led

Rosewell Tyrfing Case

Spoiler

EliteBook 8570w
i7 3720QM @ 2.6 GHz
Quadro K1000M
24 GB DDR3 @ 1600 MHz
250 GB SanDisk 850 EVO - Elementary OS, Windows 10, Debian

Spoiler

i5 3470 @ 3.2 GHz
EVGA 750 Ti SC
8 GB DDR3 @ 1333 MHz
240 GB SanDisk - Windows 10, Linux Mint

My suggestion for a Tech Quickie video:

How important is chipset cooling?

Usually the chipset is passively cooled on desktop computers, but I've seen some laptops and even the new iMac Pro without any cooling at all.

I think that's kind of weird and somewhat confusing why you wouldn't cool the chipset.

I don't know if this is a solid thing yet but with all the talk of imac pro's and how they're amazing at video editing, I would love to see a cloud video production tech quickie / fast as possible video.  One that talks about price efficiency of cloud production (I hope) maybe?

Hi, maybe this comment belongs to another section, but I just saw the other day a video pitting slr cameras vs smartphones... well kind of... the thing is a friend watching at my side, he's not very tech-savvy, got the impression that the phones are getting there, and in some cases that the phone gave better results than the camera... I was like... wtf? are you even paying attention to the video? man! but well, maybe you were just to soft with the smartphones

I would like you to make a video stressing how that's not the case, I say... rack focus, high speed shoots, hand held shooting in the dark, against a sunset... a 24-105 mm zoom swipe; shoots in a sport game, or a smartphone trying to emulate the effect of a 50mm 1.4 close up in a face of a girl and its frizzy glinting hair... or one of you with a wig :P

I think it would be cool to see a video about how different LAN connections work, and their drawback and advantages. Like RJ45 VS InfinaBand VS. Whatever else. It'd be neat to know WHY they work better. 

Since this came up in a thread recently.

VDI vs Desktop virtualization. (datacenter vs local)

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒