Thread For Tech Quickie Video Suggestions

On ‎6‎/‎5‎/‎2017 at 9:40 PM, Juxtapoz27 said:

CMOS as fast as possible.

I second this, as well, as well as PCI lanes as fast as possible (I know there is already one on LTT, but it is two years old, and I think an updated one would be nice)

The Difference Between PCI-E and SATA III

Edit - For things like SSDs

Techquickie:

RGB, why it's on gaming stuff, but not other stuff.

ie; why are there no RGB soundcards, cpus and USB flash drives, but there's rgb fans, graphics cards, keyboards

On 6/27/2017 at 1:30 PM, Sin Stalker said:

PCIe 2.0. What is the most powerful GPU you can put in a 2.0 PCIe slot before you start getting diminishing returns / bottlenecking?

There are tests out on the web that show the decline in performance for 1080s, but nothing that tests different gen cards to find when the decline in performance starts?

ie, I don't want to spend money on a 1080, when I'd get the same performance on a 980ti with my PCIe 2.0 system.

16x?

1080Ti won't bottle neck 2.0 16x. 8x maybe 1080 max.

PSU Nerd | PC Parts Flipper | Cable Management Guru

Helpful Links: PSU Tier List | Why not group reg? | Avoid the EVGA G3

Helios EVO (Main Desktop) Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | GeForce RTX 3060 Ti | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W

Delta (Laptop) | Galaxy S21 Ultra | Pacific Spirit XT (Server)

Full Specs

Spoiler

Helios EVO (Main):

Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws V / Team T-Force DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | MSI GAMING X GeForce RTX 3060 Ti 8GB GPU | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W | MasterLiquid ML240L | 2x 2TB HDD | 256GB SX6000 Pro SSD | 3x Corsair SP120 RGB | Fractal Design Venturi HF-14

Pacific Spirit XT - Server

Intel Core™ i7-8700K (Won at LTX, signed by Dennis) | GIGABYTE Z370 AORUS GAMING 5 | 16GB Team Vulcan DDR4-3000 | Intel UrfpsgonHD 630 | Define C TG | Corsair CX450M

Delta - Laptop

ASUS TUF Dash F15 - Intel Core™ i7-11370H | 16GB DDR4 | RTX 3060 | 500GB NVMe SSD | 200W Brick | 65W USB-PD Charger

Intel is bringing DDR4 to the mainstream with the Intel® Core™ i5 6600K and i7 6700K processors. Learn more by clicking the link in the description below.

22 minutes ago, fpo said:

Techquickie:

ie; why are there no RGB soundcards, cpus and USB flash drives, but there's rgb fans, graphics cards, keyboards

https://us.creative.com/p/sound-cards/sound-blasterx-ae-5

I spell my name without an H!

Esse Quam Videri - Go Blue Devils

49 minutes ago, fpo said:

Techquickie:

RGB cpu's? You won't even see it, it's under the heatsink...

25 minutes ago, fpo said:

oh... Why isn't it used in rgb builds on the channel? 

It hasn't been released yet.

Also, I don't want to speak for Linus or the folks who work on our RGB builds, but a lot of people are of the opinion that sound cards are generally a waste of money.

I spell my name without an H!

Esse Quam Videri - Go Blue Devils

what about a video on how to source cheaper harddrives by buying external drives and extracting the harddrive, and you can use the enclosures for your old drives.

Have you tried to perform a sudden temporary interrupt of the electricity flow to your computational device followed by a re-initialization procedure of the central processing unit and associated components?

Personal Rig Specs

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core i7-7700K @ 4.8GHZ
Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z270H GAMING
Graphics Card: Inno3D ICHILL GEFORCE GTX 1080 TI X3 ULTRA
RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX Black DDR4 2x8GB @ 3GHZ
Storage: 2 x Samsung NVMe SSD 960 EVO 256GB in Raid | 2 x Seagate 4TB Expansion Desktop 

(seagates are originally external drives removed from casing and installed internally)
PSU: Seasonic Prime Titanium 850W 
Case: Mission SG GGX 3.5 (same as Rosewill Cullinan or Anidees AI Crystal with other stock fans)
Cooling: Kraken X62 for CPU, Corsair H55 with NZXT Kraken G12 for GPU 

5 hours ago, Principis said:

RGB cpu's? You won't even see it, it's under the heatsink...

Linus' personal pc has a window but it's in a server cabinet in the closet. 

5 hours ago, jmart604 said:

It hasn't been released yet.

Also, I don't want to speak for Linus or the folks who work on our RGB builds, but a lot of people are of the opinion that sound cards are generally a waste of money.

They should put in the sound cards on the "balls to the wall, no compromises" rigs. 

How about Tech Quickie videos on DNSSEC and DNSCrypt?

If they would be too complicating of topics for Tech Quickies, I think they could be a great informative video for the LTT main channel instead.

History of computer viruses and malware as fast as possible. Starting from the early DOS based viruses, then the viruses that infect Mac OS 9 before Apple transitioned to the UNIX kernel, worms and Trojans like Stuxnet and Carbanak, spyware and adware, up to the current nasty global ransomware pandemic. 

There is more that meets the eye
I see the soul that is inside

Digital certificates

Libraries (Like DLLs)

Computer engineering grad student, cybersecurity researcher, and hobbyist embedded systems developer

Daily Driver:

CPU: Ryzen 7 4800H | GPU: RTX 2060 | RAM: 16GB DDR4 3200MHz C16

Gaming PC:

CPU: Ryzen 5 5600X | GPU: EVGA RTX 2080Ti | RAM: 32GB DDR4 3200MHz C16

Suggestion: Graphics card sag: when will it break the gfx card or the motherboard?

This would ofcourse start with the intro where Linus uses the pun Sag and Swag...

44 minutes ago, Belgiangurista said:

Suggestion: Graphics card sag: when will it break the gfx card or the motherboard?

This would ofcourse start with the intro where Linus uses the pun Sag and Swag...

sag-aint-swag_o_738693.jpg

Have you tried to perform a sudden temporary interrupt of the electricity flow to your computational device followed by a re-initialization procedure of the central processing unit and associated components?

Personal Rig Specs

Spoiler

Storage: 2 x Samsung NVMe SSD 960 EVO 256GB in Raid | 2 x Seagate 4TB Expansion Desktop 

(seagates are originally external drives removed from casing and installed internally)
Case: Mission SG GGX 3.5 (same as Rosewill Cullinan or Anidees AI Crystal with other stock fans)

Dual channel memory vs. Quad channel memory

Might not be worth even trying, but as I am probably one of many that has "issue" with this:

Is it worth to clean your mousepad or should you just replace it. And if it's worth could TQ and LTT provide us with ways of doing it?

3 hours ago, SpiritSLO said:

Might not be worth even trying, but as I am probably one of many that has "issue" with this:

Is it worth to clean your mousepad or should you just replace it. And if it's worth could TQ and LTT provide us with ways of doing it?

i thought most mousepads were machine washable.. check with your manufacturers website but nothing to lose if you try it, right?

Personal Rig Specs

Spoiler

Alright... 2 minutes but something techie but also xbox one oriented. Mega views.

M.2 ssd on usb 3    feedING and Xbox one.   Many people may have an m.2 laying around and wonder if it'll boost loading times.   I'm sure linus can use wtf factor with his acess to the best m.2 out there.  Gtav is beast but so popular it'll fit pc and Xbox together exposing linus to new viewers while staying pc tech oriented..thanks!  Most pc users and Xbox  users don't know the ram and cpu stats of an Xbox.  Let them feel pride in their rigs knowing how better their setup is. Hahahaha love your vids. 

I have a couple of suggestions for one busy Linus to use in future Fast as Possible episodes. Because you are so busy I will get right to it ?:

•  How do computers always know what time it is?
  •  What is the difference between the many different analog audio jack sizes (I mean other than their sizes)?
  •  The difference between all of your mother board headers and what each one does.
  • The difference between a kindle and a nook.
  •  (And anything else I edit into this at a later date! Thanks for your time busy but awesome video maker Linus!!)

Since LTT seems to have such an eye for it, can we get a TQ for how to make ridiculous YouTube Thumbnails? :)

I don't see a general video suggestion thread, so I'll just post this here:

Why not do a video on what happens if you do everything wrong?

Like leaving the plastic thing on the bottom of a CPU heat sink when you put it on, not putting your fan in the right spots, and putting your GPU in the bottom slot instead of the top slot. Those are just what comes to mind, but I'm sure there's much more that can be done improperly. 

How about building a SFF HTPC with a huge amount of WAF..

Just to help out the HTPC-geeks that have been trapped for life with the wife..? :)

Desktop:

CPU:Intel i7 9700K RAM: 4 x 8gb Hyper Fury 2666MHz (PC4-21300) DDR4 CL16 GPU Asus GeForce GTX 1070ti Cerberus 8GB

Storage: Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD - Samsung 860 Evo 500gb; 3 x OCZ Agility 3 240GB - 4 x Seagate Barracuda 4TB 5.400rpm

Laptop

Toshiba Satellite Z30-B-10W