Thread For Tech Quickie Video Suggestions

How about a video series or run of Tech Quickies about start up business technology suggestions. Pros and cons of buying vs leasing and picking hardware that has a decent upgrade path if you expand. As a company that has done this, going from house to multi unit industrial space what would you change to have saved time and money etc.

I would suggest making a video about power supplies (how they work). I have seen some techquickie videos that mention parts of it, but none of them really tackles that topic properly. By the way, I was alarmed when I saw the techquiclie video on capacitors, resistors and electronic components (hosted by Luke): he mentioned opening the power supply after unplugging it: This can still be very dangerous since the power supply's capacitors will still be charged which can lead to nasty shocks (as an electrical engineer, I know what I am talking about).

How to pronounce "Dvorak" properly (the alternative keyboard layout)

• 2 weeks later...

Tech review history as fast as possible. 

Including history of LMG as fast as possible in the story. 

Good way to show the (NCIX tech tips) corporate to (small youtubers)individual to rise of individuals to corporate respected status(hey random dude, show off our new expensive product) 

might help people better understand the YouTubed work environment. 

Edit 

4000 posts! *Toot*

• 2 weeks later...

Ok hear me out....

I have spent countless hours now on LTT videos, trying to learn and also laughing my ass off. Here is where I am...

Years ago I had a Toshiba laptop that ran CS Source just fine and that is all I did, played Source, big ol' clan and all (made Admin, thank you thank you)! But then I eventually fell back into console gaming and remained there until about 4 months ago when I decided screw it, I'm going to learn how to build a PC and be able to play all the cool games! So now, I would say I have put together a pretty decent rig, down the the SLI linked RTX 2080s.

Here is where my idea comes into play, I will put this in the quickie thread as well, I have NO idea how to optimize my set up! I'm constantly afraid of screwing something up and crying over a pile of my smoldering money. WHAT IF... there was a video for us "still learning and scared" types where we are shown a system and the steps to take to make sure it is performing the best that it can without exploding. You can even remote into my PC and use segments of that footage for examples. I wish there was a simpler (and yes, LTT) video out there to help guide people through some steps of this type.

There are all KINDS of videos and articles out there. However, after watching what YOU guys have done to some machines and you're fairly more knowledgeable than myself... yeah...

Hopefully this makes sense!

SMT4 / 4 thread hyperthreading found in the New Xeon chips and upcoming Zen 3

PLEASE QUOTE ME IF YOU ARE REPLYING TO ME

Desktop Build: Ryzen 7 2700X @ 4.0GHz, AsRock Fatal1ty X370 Professional Gaming, 48GB Corsair DDR4 @ 3000MHz, RX5700 XT 8GB Sapphire Nitro+, Benq XL2730 1440p 144Hz FS

Retro Build: Intel Pentium III @ 500 MHz, Dell Optiplex G1 Full AT Tower, 768MB SDRAM @ 133MHz, Integrated Graphics, Generic 1024x768 60Hz Monitor

The difference in mechanical keyboard switches.   Pros and cons.   Why is there so many choices 

Just now, Marshmellowman53 said:

The difference in mechanical keyboard switches.   Pros and cons.   Why is there so many choices 

Like a refresh. 

Best Storage for Long Term Backup.

i.e.

SD Cards aren't Forever

I have had so many non-tech friends and family members think they can just fill up an SD card with a camera or video camera, and toss it in a drawer till they're in their 80s and want to revisit the past.  I tell them it's not a good idea, but I wish I had a TQ to point them to.  TQ is so clear and to the point, and I would just get too technical or wind up losing their attention.  I honestly don't understand the specifics of why NAND flash is a bad LTS method.

A suggestion for a TQ that came to me while watching "TQ: Can You REALLY Trust Online Reviews?". Make a TechQuickie (or even a longer "normal" episode) about Fake News in general, the mechanisms the huge internet companies or government institutions employ to battle this and how to recognize/use them. Or ask different people at LMG about how they handle misinformation from the net and make a episode out of it.

CPU Ryzen 7 5800X | MoBo MSI B550 Gaming Plus | RAM 32GB Teamgroup @3600/18 | GPU EVGA RTX 3070 Ti FTW | Case Enthoo Pro M SE
PSU bq! Straight Power 11 Plat. 750W CM | Cooling Scythe Fuma 2 & 5x Corsair ML140 | Sound SB Z Retail | Storage Samsung 970 EVO 500GB
Display(s) Iiyama GB3461WQSU, Dell 24", LG 34UM95 | Keyboard Kinesis Freestyle Edge | Mouse Logitech G900 Chaos Spectrum | OS Windows 11

Why does firefox / other browsers use so much memory when you have open only a couple of tabs.

I can easily get to 1gb of memory usage, and fans start going strong.

even though the 3 or 4 sites I have open are probably only a few MBs in actual content.

I don't think there's been a Tech Quickie about Windows Subsystem for Linux (I've suggested this in the past). With WSL2 coming up in the summer, it would be a great opportunity to talk about WSL1 vs WSL2 and WSL in general.

Thanks for the great content!

• 2 weeks later...

Linus, Voice of IP (VOIP) would be great to see on Techquickie! Keep up the good work, I am learning a lot.

Instructions for frustration management:  

1) Sit at desk.   2) Repeatedly slam forehead against desk.

I never said I was smart, just smart enough to be dangerous.

ORLY?

……..'|:::::::,': : : : : : :_„„-: : : : : : : : ~--„_: |'
………|::::::|: : : „--~~'''~~''''''''-„…_..„~''''''''''''¯|
………|:::::,':_„„-|: : :_„---~: : :|''¯¯''''|: ~---„_: ||
……..,~-,_/'': : : |:    ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) : |: : : :|:  ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)): \..|
……../,'-,: : : : : ''-,_______,-'': : : : ''-„_____|
……..\: :|: : : : : : : : : : : : : :„: : : : :-,: : : : : : : ?
………',:': : : : : : : : : : : : :,-'__: : : :_',: : : : ;: ,'
……….'-,-': : : : : :___„-: : :'': : ¯''~~'': ': : ~--|'
………….|: ,: : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : :: :
………….'|: \: : : : : : : : -,„_„„-~~--~--„_: :: |
…………..|: \: : : : : : : : : : : :-------~: : : : : |
You have been visited by the propane god, I tell ya hwat. Repost this on 5 more profiles or Hank Hill will bring the propain.

- credit to, @Cinnabar Sonar

I'm sure someone already asked for it but...

1. WiFi rebranding and WiFi 6

2. USB4

Thanks!

Quote and/or tag people using @ otherwise they don't get notified of your response!

The HUMBLE Computer:

AMD Ryzen 7 3700X • Noctua NH-U12A • ASUS STRIX X570-F • Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (2x16GB) DDR4 3200MHz CL16 • GIGABYTE Nvidia GTX1080 G1 • FRACTAL DESIGN Define C w/ blue Meshify C front • Corsair RM750x (2018) • OS: Kingston KC2000 1TB GAMES: Intel 660p 1TB DATA: Seagate Desktop 2TB • Acer Predator X34P 34" 3440x1440p 120 Hz IPS curved Ultrawide • Corsair STRAFE RGB Cherry MX Brown • Logitech G502 HERO / Logitech MX Master 3

Notebook:  HP Spectre x360 13" late 2018

Core i7 8550U • 16GB DDR3 RAM • 512GB NVMe SSD • 13" 1920x1080p 120 Hz IPS touchscreen • dual Thunderbolt 3

MocA internet. I remember you guys did powerline so this seems relevant. 

An old house I will be living in doesn't have ethernet ports so I wanted to learn more about it.

TQ: Suggestion. do a video on common ways people get hacked, or security measures you can take and set up under 5 minutes, that will go long way.

some examples :

0. Update OS and apps

1.make sure if your AV is not disabled like firewall and scanner.

2. wifi password and VPN

3. encrypted drive.

4.2FA

5. canary tokens (here a website that generates them, there are a lot out there ) https://www.stationx.net/canarytokens/ 

6. a couple of other tools https://www.stationx.net/cyber-security-tools-guide/ // I'm not promoting them.

7. human stupidity and a lot more

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

having a decent video on this topic that we can send to everyone would be really neat. maybe make it in 2-3 part series explaining common ways of people getting hacked and infected and what basic measures to take to combat it. 

*i put this originally in floatplane video "TQ. Are Macs Really Safer?" + https://www.floatplane.com/video/iFT8tGEgR3 and a lot of people wanted it 

Quantum Tunneling

Why it's getting harder and harder to make processors with smaller transistors.